Quantcast
TELUS fibre (FTTH) - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 15 ... LastLast

Thread: TELUS fibre (FTTH)

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Turns out I can get 940/940 Telus fiber in my area so I'm probably going to switch away from Shaw after 20 years or whatever it's been. I have a few questions:

1) Does anyone know if most new homes are pre-wired for fiber, or will they have to dig up my yard and drill through my house? If that's the case I might just stick with Shaw. When Shaw came to do the install, they were on the roof of my garage so I assume it comes in from the back yard but I don't know how fiber might be different.

2) Does Telus ever throttle your speed?

3) Once the $85/2yr deal is up, are they like Shaw in that they just offer you another deal? Or do they actually revert you back to the price that I assume nobody ever actually pays?
    1) do you have overhead service? if so, that's where the fibre comes in. At my house, it comes to the roof of the garage, down into the garage, and then, they were able to fish the fibre right into my finished basement through the conduit that's aleady buried in my back yard. The installer did say that there was a backup plan if that was not possible. It didn't involve trenching.
    2) no throttling, ever that I've seen. I always get slightly more speed than i'm paying for on the ookla speedtest. When I was paying for 75, I usually got 80-83, and now I'm on 150 plan, I get 165+ all the time.
    3) they give deals. Better deals with when bundled with TV, home phone, mobility etc, but there's always deals.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    1) Yes. Any home built since 2012 has FTTH. Some 2010 and 2011 homes have it too. Can't speak for infills.
    2) Not that I have experienced in 10 years with FTTH.
    3) yes, I've never paid rack rate.
    Perfect, thank you. Sounds like a no-brainer since it's the same price for 940/940 as my 660/25 currently with Shaw. It is an infill though, so hopefully it has it. For the first time ever I have noticed I don't get my max speed 100% of the time like I am used to, so I wonder if the Shaw node in my area is over-saturated.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    1) do you have overhead service? if so, that's where the fibre comes in. At my house, it comes to the roof of the garage, down into the garage, and then, they were able to fish the fibre right into my finished basement through the conduit that's aleady buried in my back yard. The installer did say that there was a backup plan if that was not possible. It didn't involve trenching.
    2) no throttling, ever that I've seen. I always get slightly more speed than i'm paying for on the ookla speedtest. When I was paying for 75, I usually got 80-83, and now I'm on 150 plan, I get 165+ all the time.
    3) they give deals. Better deals with when bundled with TV, home phone, mobility etc, but there's always deals.
    I think I have the exact same setup as you - It comes in to the top of my garage, then under the ground in a conduit to the back of my house where the utility room is. And thanks - as long as I can stay on some sort of deal then I'm not worried about it.

Come over to the fiber side, just works, no slow downs, speeds always better than advertised, you won't be disappointed. 150/150 here since aerial fiber was pulled down our alley's poles, been quite a few years now.

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    Come over to the fiber side, just works, no slow downs, speeds always better than advertised, you won't be disappointed. 150/150 here since aerial fiber was pulled down our alley's poles, been quite a few years now.
    My DL speed is already pretty fast with Shaw (660Mbps), but I actually do a lot of uploading, so I am most looking forward to that side of things. Also, where I am now, for the first time in my life I am noticing slow-downs in peak hours - I assume this will not happen with fiber. As long as it's not a huge ordeal to get hooked up, I will be switching.

For you guys with Fiber and newsgroups - can they max out your ~940 Mbps bandwidth? They can max out my 660 Mbps no problem but I have no idea what the limit is. I also know Telus blocks certain ports, but I'm not sure if that's an issue for Newsgroups or not.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 02-03-2020 at 04:12 PM.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

For you guys with Fiber and newsgroups - can they max out your ~940 Mbps bandwidth? They can max out my 660 Mbps no problem but I have no idea what the limit is. I also know Telus blocks certain ports, but I'm not sure if that's an issue for Newsgroups or not.
    I'm not on Telus but some newsgroup server do support gigabit but not necessarily all. Tbh the difference is pretty negligible. A 20 gig video file you would go from 5 minutes down to 3 minutes .... not really much of a difference unless you wanna watch something immediately I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    I'm not on Telus but some newsgroup server do support gigabit but not necessarily all. Tbh the difference is pretty negligible. A 20 gig video file you would go from 5 minutes down to 3 minutes .... not really much of a difference unless you wanna watch something immediately I guess.
    As long as there's an improvement over my 660Mbps (about 80MB/s), I don't really care - and in peak hours I seem to only get 450Mbps or so with Shaw, which is something I have never experienced before in 3 different locations within the city (always got the max). The neighborhood Shaw node must be saturated or something. The biggest reason I want it is actually for the upload speed as I often have huge amounts of data that need to be uploaded. Going from 25 Mbps to 940Mbps upload will be nice

Telus has a promo right now for symmetrical gigabit, unlimited data, and a $200 bill credit for $85/mo on a two year term. My Shaw 660/25 is the exact same price so it's a no-brainer given that Shaw can't offer me anything comparable at this time.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 02-03-2020 at 04:50 PM.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

As long as there's an improvement over my 660Mbps (about 80MB/s), I don't really care - and in peak hours I seem to only get 450Mbps or so with Shaw, which is something I have never experienced before in 3 different locations within the city (always got the max). The neighborhood Shaw node must be saturated or something. The biggest reason I want it is actually for the upload speed as I often have huge amounts of data that need to be uploaded. Going from 25 Mbps to 940Mbps upload will be nice

Telus has a promo right now for symmetrical gigabit, unlimited data, and a $200 bill credit for $85/mo on a two year term. My Shaw 660/25 is the exact same price so it's a no-brainer given that Shaw can't offer me anything comparable at this time.
    I wish I could get FTTH My 25 upload cries at trying to support my Plex server for remote streams.

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    I wish I could get FTTH My 25 upload cries at trying to support my Plex server for remote streams.
    For me it's Blackblaze for generic backups and hundreds of GB of photos and drone video - takes a LONG time to upload on 25Mbps haha, and if I am doing anything else, it grids to a halt.

Pretty unimpressed with Telus so far. They no-showed the install I had booked after I wasted the entire usable part of Saturday waiting for them. After about 6 phone calls to them once the arrival window closed, I finally get someone who told me the ground is frozen so they can't even install it in my area (even though it's aerial?). So I still don't know for sure what's going on, but so far 0/10 for service and they weren't able to give me any information with regards to when I can actually book an install.

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

I'm on Newsdemon and it's able to max out my 750 connection right now. Haven't had any issues with port blocking so far.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Quote Originally Posted by cyra1ax View Post
    I'm on Newsdemon and it's able to max out my 750 connection right now. Haven't had any issues with port blocking so far.
    I'm with Usenetserver.com and not able to max out my 750 connection. Speed test are about 770mbps each direction, but only getting about 59MB/s on usenetserver.com with 60 connections (SSL). SSL might have something to do with this, but either way, it's bloody quick.

Quote Originally Posted by cyra1ax View Post
    Perfect thanks - I doubt I'll have a problem then as I get 80-82 MB/s at the moment with Shaw 600 (660) outside peak hours.

Doesn't sound like I'll have fiber until spring/summer though.

My Ride
    21 CX5 GT Turbo

Pretty unimpressed with Telus so far. They no-showed the install I had booked after I wasted the entire usable part of Saturday waiting for them. After about 6 phone calls to them once the arrival window closed, I finally get someone who told me the ground is frozen so they can't even install it in my area (even though it's aerial?). So I still don't know for sure what's going on, but so far 0/10 for service and they weren't able to give me any information with regards to when I can actually book an install.
    Have fun, they screwed my buddy around for like 3 weeks at his store when he was trying to get a business lines setup. They kept screwing it up.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDL View Post
    Have fun, they screwed my buddy around for like 3 weeks at his store when he was trying to get a business lines setup. They kept screwing it up.
    Yeah I wish someone else offered FTTH but they kind of got you by the balls if you want symmetrical gigabit service. Hopefully it isn't too painful.

Yeah I wish someone else offered FTTH but they kind of got you by the balls if you want symmetrical gigabit service. Hopefully it isn't too painful.
    There's nothing stopping any company from doing their own FTTH buildouts and I am somewhat surprised that Shaw hasn't ventured down that path.

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    There's nothing stopping any company from doing their own FTTH buildouts and I am somewhat surprised that Shaw hasn't ventured down that path.
    I thought Shaw was waiting for Telus to do it all so they can piggyback, but I'm not sure.

My Ride
    Eclipse

I'm giving Telus fiber 10/10..

Was with shaw basically my whole life and then the Cox cable outside broke they told me to wait a 5 days for a service call.. I told them to fuck off and cancel it, I went to Telus and waited about 7 days for them to come instead.

They wired it much better then it was before (Modem wasn't upstairs before) and the 300/300 speed goes 2 most of the house, only issue is the garage where the connection is super shitty, but I'm sure an an extender could fix it if it was a big deal.

When the tech guy came he knew which box it was outside and called before if he can come earlier in that day and it was a pretty smooth installation, I've only had it for about 2 months but I haven't had any downtime yet.

I got 300/300 but I will never ever use those speeds, I see no purpose getting anything faster even if you have 5 4K netflix devices running at once it just won't matter.

Also for some reason Shaw gave me 2 slots to come "repair" the cable 5 and 6 days apart and didn't cancel them, and I told them about 10+ times to cancel them I'm not interested in them fixing it but they still showed up twice...
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe View Post
    I'm giving Telus fiber 10/10..

Was with shaw basically my whole life and then the Cox cable outside broke they told me to wait a 5 days for a service call.. I told them to fuck off and cancel it, I went to Telus and waited about 7 days for them to come instead.

They wired it much better then it was before (Modem wasn't upstairs before) and the 300/300 speed goes 2 most of the house, only issue is the garage where the connection is super shitty, but I'm sure an an extender could fix it if it was a big deal.

When the tech guy came he knew which box it was outside and called before if he can come earlier in that day and it was a pretty smooth installation, I've only had it for about 2 months but I haven't had any downtime yet.

I got 300/300 but I will never ever use those speeds, I see no purpose getting anything faster even if you have 5 4K netflix devices running at once it just won't matter.

Also for some reason Shaw gave me 2 slots to come "repair" the cable 5 and 6 days apart and didn't cancel them, and I told them about 10+ times to cancel them I'm not interested in them fixing it but they still showed up twice...
    Telus will give you a free range extender if I remember correctly

My Ride
    Eclipse

Oh yah i thought it was suppose to come with one actually but it didn't, they said they can rent it for like $5/month.

I'm going to contact them though thanks for the heads-up.

With that said is it normal for fiber optic signal to get lost quickly when you go outside?

Lets say the Modem is right by the outside wall should the signal be the same outside 5 feet away as it is inside 5 feet from the modem?
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 15 ... LastLast