Quantcast
TELUS fibre (FTTH) - Page 14 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: TELUS fibre (FTTH)

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    After the 1.5Gigabit 1-2, Telus is going for the groin by sueing Shaw over calling it’s non fibre network fibre. You know, kindof like what Telus did for tears before actually having FTTH.

https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carrie...leading-fibre/
    I don't see TELUS winning this but Shaw certainly is starting to lag on the speed wars and I don't see Shaw catching up anytime soon. Now granted that TELUS' FTTH availability isn't as widespread as Shaw's coax high speed offerings but that is changing fast as TELUS is aggressively getting their FTTH outside plant built - Temple is getting built out right now as are quite a few other communities.

Shaw's biggest hurdles is whether or not they'll ever get the proper technology out there to match FTTH DL/UL speeds and how aggressively is Shaw building a more robust outside plant infrastructure, more fibre to their nodes and more robust nodes. Better yet, why isn't Shaw aggressively doing FTTH - if TELUS can then why not Shaw?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    I don't see TELUS winning this but Shaw certainly is starting to lag on the speed wars and I don't see Shaw catching up anytime soon. Now granted that TELUS' FTTH availability isn't as widespread as Shaw's coax high speed offerings but that is changing fast as TELUS is aggressively getting their FTTH outside plant built - Temple is getting built out right now as are quite a few other communities.

Shaw's biggest hurdles is whether or not they'll ever get the proper technology out there to match FTTH DL/UL speeds and how aggressively is Shaw building a more robust outside plant infrastructure, more fibre to their nodes and more robust nodes. Better yet, why isn't Shaw aggressively doing FTTH - if TELUS can then why not Shaw?
    Honestly, I think providing gigabit speeds is a niche market. And Telus spent a TON of money chasing it. Hard to say whether the investment was worth it, probably helps that the infrastructure is usable for their cellular network as well.

The vast majority of people people dgaf What kind of cable their internet gets to them on, so long as their Netflix doesn’t stutter. Shaw provides that service all day every day.

Maybe the winds change on that, but aside from us nerds no one cares how fast their internet is anymore. It’s all more than fast enough.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Honestly, I think providing gigabit speeds is a niche market. And Telus spent a TON of money chasing it. Hard to say whether the investment was worth it, probably helps that the infrastructure is usable for their cellular network as well.

The vast majority of people people dgaf What kind of cable their internet gets to them on, so long as their Netflix doesn’t stutter. Shaw provides that service all day every day.

Maybe the winds change on that, but aside from us nerds no one cares how fast their internet is anymore. It’s all more than fast enough.
    The glass that comes into my home providing 150Mbps service is the same glass they use for the 1.5Gbps service and for all I know, the optical interface may be the same as well. Glass is glass, TELUS is spending no more money chasing Gigabit than they are chasing slower optical speed offerings.

I only have 150Mbps service and old farts like my wife and I will never touch that, I even considered 300Mbps but figured that was truly pointless.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

The glass that comes into my home providing 150Mbps service is the same glass they use for the 1.5Gbps service and for all I know, the optical interface may be the same as well. Glass is glass, TELUS is spending no more money chasing Gigabit than they are chasing slower optical speed offerings.

I only have 150Mbps service and old farts like my wife and I will never touch that, I even considered 300Mbps but figured that was truly pointless.
    Yea but they spent a pretty penny upgrading those last meters of copper into glass. Shaw hasn’t.

They need to convert a lot of customers to pay for that.
    Last edited by killramos; 06-12-2020 at 07:36 PM.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Looks like they're starting Monday in my area for installs What should I expect for damage to my property?
    Last edited by dj_rice; 06-13-2020 at 07:02 AM.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

To be fair, Shaw just have to remove the remaining customers off DOCSIS 2.1 and 3.0 and you've got gigabit uploads on a pure 3.1 network. DOCSIS 4.0 quadruples upload speed to call itself "symmetrical" (10gbps/6gbps). It's a lot cheaper to upgrade hardware on both ends than to lay fiber. Hell, Shaw can even bundle up that cost to the customer in model rental fees.

I think Shaw knows that it takes a shit ton of investment for Telus to get to their level, so they can just play the long game, match Telus here and there, and still make more money per customer because of minimal investment. Shaw won't hurt their bottom line until upstream is needed, and today, very few people will come close to maxing out that 35mbps upload limit on a hybrid network. If there comes a time where you NEED that upstream, Shaw can make the full DOCSIS 3.1/4.0 transition and match FTTH at still a much cheaper cost than what Telus has to invest.

Honestly, I think providing gigabit speeds is a niche market.
    This. I have 600, and with services maxing out per connection limits at 100, 200, 300mbps I rarely see 600 being fully utilized. I only want the 1gbps setup just to say I have it haha. They've discontinued the 600 plan anyways, so once my 2 year contract is up, I have no choice but to move to gigabit.

I'm an exception, fully streaming 4K movies across 3 TVs simultaneously, 3 XB1X's downloading COD Warzone updates, and 500 people zoom meeting to hit 600 haha. Even then that happens once in never unless I do it on purpose.

One day, gigabit won't be niche. We're just not there yet.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

rage2, I knew you couldn't resist. Somewhere you have a Shaw tramp stamp, its hidden but it's there.

It's all good though, most of us have way more bandwidth then we'll ever utilize and the continued telecom wars just roll out better stuff for the masses.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

It’s not that I’m not happy Telus did it, I am, and it’s a great network. But you would be silly to pretend like it wasn’t a lot of cost for questionable gain in revenue.

fact.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

rage2, I knew you couldn't resist. Somewhere you have a Shaw tramp stamp, its hidden but it's there.

It's all good though, most of us have way more bandwidth then we'll ever utilize and the continued telecom wars just roll out better stuff for the masses.
    I don’t have a choice. Telus 35 is all I have here.

I’m looking at it from a business perspective like I always do. This same scenario is happening in US cable vs telecom but at a bigger scale.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Silverado

Tldr but shaw has 1000mbps to my house in woodbine. Telus has 25..Lol are you kidding. Not helping me negotiate with shaw
    Last edited by dirtsniffer; 06-12-2020 at 11:17 PM.

My Ride
    06 S2000

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    Tldr but shaw has 1000mbps to my house in woodbine. Telus has 25..Lol are you kidding. Not helping me negotiate with shaw
    I feel like that's most people on the 600 or higher plans. They're only on Shaw, cause Telus isn't offered in their hood.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

It’s not that I’m not happy Telus did it, I am, and it’s a great network. But you would be silly to pretend like it wasn’t a lot of cost for questionable gain in revenue.
    But wouldn't it be better to do it now, splitting the capital (they can easily afford) over 2-3 years and be future proofed, rather than 10 years down the road when costs will be 3x-4x as much, and older tech forcing them to spend in a much shorter period.......maybe a 2-3 quarter time frame in larger centers.

We can't max out 150 mbps, but heck, do I want this :P

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

1.5Gbps down? Didn't see that one coming, should've specced Cat6a/7 for my house instead of lowly Cat6. Guess I need to start shopping for 10Gig hardware...
    As for the "techy people only use FTTH", from what I've seen at work it's honestly been a word of mouth type of spread that's happened. One non-techy person ended up getting it and shared their experience with their other non-techy friends. I think the crappy batch of modems that Shaw had before the current XB6 helped nudge a bunch of people to try Telus FTTH.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by NoSup4U View Post
    But wouldn't it be better to do it now, splitting the capital (they can easily afford) over 2-3 years and be future proofed, rather than 10 years down the road when costs will be 3x-4x as much, and older tech forcing them to spend in a much shorter period.......maybe a 2-3 quarter time frame in larger centers.
    5 years ago, Telus announced a $1b investment retrofitting all of Vancouver city for fiber and the project is still ongoing. Vancouver is about the size of NW Calgary at approximately 1/5th the size and 1/2 the population. If we throw density and inflation out the window, it would cost $5b just for Calgary. Add other cities and you see where the problem lies. Telus isn't Tesla, can't throw money around like that.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by NoSup4U View Post

We can't max out 150 mbps, but heck, do I want this :P
    “Future proofed” until it isn’t. The fibre they are running isn’t that advanced.

I think Shaw’s financial decision to kick the can down the road as long as possible is likely smarter, so long as they aren’t losing a material amount of customers. Shaw is essentially doing 90% of what Telus is doing, except with software updates instead of $$$ hardware.

fact.

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

My 2-years promotion with Shaw (600) just expired. I tried to get the same amount of discount but they are really firm with the pricing. I even pulled the Telus gigabit card, that didn't work either. Probably because they know I can't get Telus FTTH in my community haha...

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by HiSpec View Post
    My 2-years promotion with Shaw (600) just expired. I tried to get the same amount of discount but they are really firm with the pricing. I even pulled the Telus gigabit card, that didn't work either. Probably because they know I can't get Telus FTTH in my community haha...
    Same problem here. New packages is only available in 300 ($5 less than old 600) and 1gig ($10 more). Guess I have no choice but to go 1gig.

My Ride
    06 S2000

Quote Originally Posted by HiSpec View Post
    I've heard shaw ditched their retention team. No more deals, what you get is what you get.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by LilDrunkenSmurf View Post
    I've heard shaw ditched their retention team. No more deals, what you get is what you get.
    Good. Let the market set prices rather than requiring us to argue with someone on the phone for a few hours every couple months to get a fair price.

fact.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Good. Let the market set prices rather than requiring us to argue with someone on the phone for a few hours every couple months to get a fair price.
    Careful, that's a slippery slope to being a fan of public mobile's customer service model.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14 15 ... LastLast