Quantcast
RAM 1500/2500/3500 Truck Thread - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: RAM 1500/2500/3500 Truck Thread

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Originally posted by HHURICANE1

If you want mileage that is close use the American numbers. Way closer than the Canadian numbers.
    The Canadian and USA numbers are pretty much the same.

Canada adopted 5 cycle test last year.

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

Originally posted by dino_martini
    What sort of fuel economy are you guys getting with the Hemi? is the 16.0L/km city on the window sticker accurate?
    I'm like 80% highway but i get 13L/100km according to the dash

My Ride
    '11 Acura RDX Tech/'15 Ram 1500 Sport

Originally posted by dino_martini
    What sort of fuel economy are you guys getting with the Hemi? is the 16.0L/km city on the window sticker accurate?
    This is what I am averaging now in the city 16.5 L/100km

My Ride
    92 Prelude 4ws

Whats up Beyond.

Just bought my 1st truck in late November.

2013 Ram 1500 ST v6 Pentastar Quad Cab 4x4 3.21 - paid 19.9 w/ 78k on it.

Getting ~ 10 on Highway always going 110+, 12-13 city (lots of stop and go) averaging around 11.

Biggest reason for this purchase is I want to haul a slide in camper, which brings up a new challenge of fitting within the payload etc.

My trucks rated to have 1690 lbs payload, found an old camper the sticker says 1100lbs loaded with water so I have some room - but have yet to hit the scales.

First upgrade, Evo All remote starter. Tapped into 3 wires with the Chrysler T Harness , quick program on the computer and it was good to go.

Next upgrade, I found a steering wheel with all radio control and voice recognition buttons for $160 shipped. It's vinyl (thought it was leather from the pics) but its still more comfortable to hold than the thick ass plastic OEM I had.

I have a dimming rear view mirror w/ microphone I got used as well as the overhead console with lights ( I am missing those ) really needing bluetooth. I did get what I thought and was told was a 8.4" NAV unit, but on the back says v3 so I don't think I have nav ... time to seek out another one from the wreckers.

Already have 3 ply tires so as long as I'm within my weight range, I'm good to camp!

Recent purchases:

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Suspensio...8&t_pn=HEL7709 $301 hellwig sway bar.

They also sell airmax 1000 inner coil bags for $117 so that will help me level out my ride when hauling. I'll pick those out next week.
    DannyO

Oh yea, I also met Doris..

My Ride
    Trucks

The inner airbags are useless, but are cheap enough to try out without losing much. If the camper does squat the truck down lots just opt for the bracket mounted Firestone bags right off the bat.

Originally posted by Darell_n
    The inner airbags are useless, but are cheap enough to try out without losing much. If the camper does squat the truck down lots just opt for the bracket mounted Firestone bags right off the bat.
    Disagree 100%

I have the Airlift 1000 kit in my truck and i couldn't be happier. Fully loaded, with a properly set up WD hitch, i haul poker straight with my truck. If i put any weight in the bed, then i am sagging for sure. With the helper bags, i can run a bit of forward rake with any load.

I doubt the 1000lbs of extra cargo capacity but for light duty (like a half ton is for) they are a great addition. Especially for $100 and an hour of your time. Going with the higher bags, id worry about tires and GVWR.

My Ride
    92 Prelude 4ws

Next question : Has anybody bought plug and play LED headlights for our trucks that DON'T have projector housings ?

I've seen reviews and photos but now its a matter of finding a brand from a reliable seller..

The pics I've seen don't distort the cut off beam so no need to flame about glaring oncoming traffic, I am conscious of that.
    DannyO

My Ride
    92 Prelude 4ws

Originally posted by spike98

Disagree 100%

I have the Airlift 1000 kit in my truck and i couldn't be happier. Fully loaded, with a properly set up WD hitch, i haul poker straight with my truck. If i put any weight in the bed, then i am sagging for sure. With the helper bags, i can run a bit of forward rake with any load.

I doubt the 1000lbs of extra cargo capacity but for light duty (like a half ton is for) they are a great addition. Especially for $100 and an hour of your time. Going with the higher bags, id worry about tires and GVWR.

I'm with you all the way on this. If I do go with a bracket mounted setup I'll go for Boss - bang for buck they seem to be best value from what I've read - unless you can link me to a local source that sells them ~ $500 ?? ..
    DannyO

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

It seems my truck has become a victim of the common exhaust manifold leak issue.

2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi. 49,000 km

I parked my truck at the beginning of Dec. in my garage and went to move it Jan 18th. When I parked it, it didn't have any problems at all. I did a quick check of the fluids and started it up. It started up fine but had a very audible ticking sound. I couldn't troubleshoot any because I was leaving for Mexico right away.

I get back home from Mexico and pop the hood, check fluids again and this time I hit the command start so I can be right close to the engine when it turns over. It starts up, very audible ticking again, and it then stalls out 10 seconds later.

I open the door to find a prompt on the screen saying that the command start has been disabled and to put the key into the ignition. I recorded a video of the next attempt...

LINK HERE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoF10QKsEJ8

You can see that the Check Engine Light is now illuminated which it had not done before. This time I let the truck run up to operating temp and as it got warmer, the tick went away. At the time it reached operating temp, the ticking was non existant. The CEL remained illuminated through out the process.

I shut the truck down and then started it one last time and there was no ticking and the CEL cleared after running for 5 seconds.

After doing some research, broken exhaust manifold bolts and failed gaskets seem to be a very common issue on these trucks.

Does anyone know more about this?
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Originally posted by 16hypen3sp
    It seems my truck has become a victim of the common exhaust manifold leak issue.

I parked my truck at the beginning of Dec. in my garage and went to move it Jan 18th. When I parked it, it didn't have any problems at all. I did a quick check of the fluids and started it up. It started up fine but had a very audible ticking sound. I couldn't troubleshoot any because I was leaving for Mexico right away.

I get back home from Mexico and pop the hood, check fluids again and this time I hit the command start so I can be right close to the engine when it turns over. It starts up, very audible ticking again, and it then stalls out 10 seconds later.

I open the door to find a prompt on the screen saying that the command start has been disabled and to put the key into the ignition. I recorded a video of the next attempt...

You can see that the Check Engine Light is now illuminated which it had not done before. This time I let the truck run up to operating temp and as it got warmer, the tick went away. At the time it reached operating temp, the ticking was non existant. The CEL remained illuminated through out the process.

I shut the truck down and then started it one last time and there was no ticking and the CEL cleared after running for 5 seconds.

After doing some research, broken exhaust manifold bolts and failed gaskets seem to be a very common issue on these trucks.

Happened to mine, very common and very likely what's going on with yours.. Wasn't under warranty for me for some odd reason

Also happened to my old roommate, but his truck was a couple years newer so it was covered.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Originally posted by JfuckinC

Happened to mine, very common and very likely what's going on with yours.. Wasn't under warranty for me for some odd reason

Also happened to my old roommate, but his truck was a couple years newer so it was covered.
    I see. I just called my local dealership about it and sounds like my repair will be covered under warranty. When I said 'leaking exhaust manifold' they knew exactly what I was talking about.

Still love the truck tho.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    Trucks

If your truck sits for extended periods, the most common ticking sound at startup is from the MDS lifters that bleed down over time and take a few seconds to pump up again taking up the slack in the valvetrain. Nothing to worry about if this is the noise you are hearing.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Originally posted by Darell_n
    If your truck sits for extended periods, the most common ticking sound at startup is from the MDS lifters that bleed down over time and take a few seconds to pump up again taking up the slack in the valvetrain. Nothing to worry about if this is the noise you are hearing.
    I just don't know. I can't troubleshoot for a while again because I'm up north working so can't do anything until early next week. I'm inclined to think it will do the same thing when I go to start it.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

I just don't know. I can't troubleshoot for a while again because I'm up north working so can't do anything until early next week. I'm inclined to think it will do the same thing when I go to start it.
    Exhaust manifold are super common, my brothers went twice in 5 years and because you basically have to Re&Re the manifolds. Look at headers, they give massive gains over manifolds on these trucks.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Well, I got home last night and decided to troubleshoot again this morning.

The truck started fine. No ticking. Nothing out of the usual. Just completely normal, like nothing had ever happened.

Maybe Darell_n is right?

Edit: Truck was cold started after sitting for 7 days.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    14' 435i

Wooo!

Ordered a new set of headlights, RBZ430 touchscreen (Stock one), Trinity 1000 Tuner and a new Carven Exhaust Today!!

My Ride
    14' 435i

Happened to me about 2 months after my "Warranty" expired...

Bitched and complained and the dealership covered the cost of parts, i had to pay for labour to get it fixed.

Originally posted by GOnSHO
    Wooo!

Ordered a new set of headlights, RBZ430 touchscreen (Stock one), Trinity 1000 Tuner and a new Carven Exhaust Today!!
    Do you have a link to the headlights you bought. I have been looking for one myself, I do not like the stocks at all.

My Ride
    something green

Originally posted by GOnSHO
    Wooo!

The canned tunes on the trinity for the srt8 stuff does sweet diddley squat, I hear getting a custom tune will make a difference.
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    14' 435i

Originally posted by Clever

Do you have a link to the headlights you bought. I have been looking for one myself, I do not like the stocks at all.
    bought these.. $344 to my door.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2009-2016-Dod...BVvSxn&vxp=mtr

Originally posted by Maxt

The canned tunes on the trinity for the srt8 stuff does sweet diddley squat, I hear getting a custom tune will make a difference.
    yea, ive heard the SRT tunes are kinda bleh, but i have a couple buddies who tune who will help me with a custom tune. The 91 tune is supposed to be pretty good with regards to pep on the 5.7L

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast