Quantcast
skates - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: skates

My Ride
    2009 Forester

Default skates

is there any place in this city to buy skates (men's hockey and women's figure) besides sport check??
    Tim

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

Pro Hockey Life (Crossiron or 130th). Tuxedo Source for Sport. Adrenaline Souce for Sports ( South Macleod). to name a few decent/good ones.

Canadian Tire and Walmart will as well although don't expect any reliable advice there.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

Professional Skate also.

Depending on how much you want to spend, go VH

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Sport Check will probably end up being the best price as they often have store-wide sales but as Speedog said, their advice generally isn't that great (although one girl working knew a ton so it's not always a crapshoot).

Tuxedo is awesome.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Lariat 2.7 & StreetTriple R

PSS (Professional Skate Service) in Marda Loop are pretty knowledgeable guys.

Pretty much the only place I trust with sharpening my skates.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Make sure you get a boot that suits your foot! Different lines from each brand fit different.

B&P cycle is also good, not mentioned yet, up in the hood though.

My Ride
    NC1

amen it's all in the fit. try them on, walk around etc.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
    Professional Skate also.

Depending on how much you want to spend, go VH

Do you have a pair of VH? I'm curious as I have seen ads for them/heard about them. But have yet to meet a guy who owns a pair. I'm usually a mix of Div 2/3 Winsport so play not bad level also. And thought I would have come across them by now. Being flat/wide footed the thought of custom is intriguing to find something that fits better.

Only ask because one of these days I am going to get rid of my Reeboks as just not loving them or the pump system. Was the first skate I bought after not playing all university. I was very sad that I outgrew my Vapor XXs from high school. Those skates were the best.

My Ride

Originally posted by colinxx235

Do you have a pair of VH? I'm curious as I have seen ads for them/heard about them. But have yet to meet a guy who owns a pair. I'm usually a mix of Div 2/3 Winsport so play not bad level also. And thought I would have come across them by now. Being flat/wide footed the thought of custom is intriguing to find something that fits better.

Only ask because one of these days I am going to get rid of my Reeboks as just not loving them or the pump system. Was the first skate I bought after not playing all university. I was very sad that I outgrew my Vapor XXs from high school. Those skates were the best.
    Man if you have wide feet, try on some Bauer Supreme's. I switched from vapours to them and it's like a whole new world

Originally posted by JfuckinC

Man if you have wide feet, try on some Bauer Supreme's. I switched from vapours to them and it's like a whole new world
    No I used to have Vapor 20's, good luck finding a nice pair of those haha. (Think I got mine in 04...?) I have Reebok 9Ks currently, I think I am on my 5th or 6th season with them.

Weird because that is the opposite of what the fitment guide says about Bauer skates online from what I've read. Nexus is supposed to be the widest these days in there line. A teammate bought the top of line nexus last summer after his gear got stolen and he loves them, but $800+ ...
    I was most likely going to wait until something fall apart on the Reeboks, already a good way through the second set of steel on them. Just lots of nights have issues with circulation cut off or feet get really sore during game. The pump system is kinda finicky too.

My Ride

No I used to have Vapor 20's, good luck finding a nice pair of those haha. (Think I got mine in 04...?) I have Reebok 9Ks currently, I think I am on my 5th or 6th season with them.

Weird because that is the opposite of what the fitment guide says about Bauer skates online from what I've read. Nexus is supposed to be the widest these days in there line. A teammate bought the top of line nexus last summer after his gear got stolen and he loves them, but $800+ ...
    I was most likely going to wait until something fall apart on the Reeboks, already a good way through the second set of steel on them. Just lots of nights have issues with circulation cut off or feet get really sore during game. The pump system is kinda finicky too.
    Maybe my feet aren't all that wide in comparison to some, the Supremes made an insane difference for circulation and comfort in my case though.

Weird my buddy got his gear stolen last year too, who steals that nasty shit

My feet are decently wide, but its being very flat footed that causes the big issues. I know if the rivets ever snap on the RBK i'll dump them too. They getting pretty rusty haha.

Yah my teammate Nagel had his shit from his junior days still haha. His skates were falling apart along with some other gear. $500 deductible he paid wasn't even the cost of the skates. Couple CCM ultra sticks and top end gear across the board later it sure paid for itself. But as for what someone did with his gear...

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

I absolutely love my VH, i dont play high level of hockey but i used to Ref quite a bit and the comfort is what makes the diff.

I had a pair of RBK 9k which fitted ok, then moved onto a pair of APX2 which were painful. Finally bought a pair of the VH and it was amazing. Well worth the money if you skate quite a bit.

got mine from http://www.skatedoc.ca/ who is a Beyond OG.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

Bauer info:

Narrow heel box, canted towards the balls of your feet - Vapor
    Wide, neutral stance - Nexus
    In-between, more traditional boot - Supreme

I have a pair of Vapor X100 in Houston and I love them. For my set in Calgary I got the X Shift thinking they would be close and they fit differently. They're better now that I've broken them in a bit.

Those VH look pretty cool - I'm going to keep an eye out for them

My Ride
    2009 Forester

thanks... will check out adrenaline - i always thought they were ski and snowboarding. didn't realize they sold skates, too.

This will be my first pair of skates in like 20 years... my old leather bauers were great, but it's time to retire them. i had a bit of a heart attack when i went to sportcheck and saw skates for $800 :o
    Tim

^

Not sure what purpose the skates are for Tim, but if it is leisure out door lake skating in Calgary a few times a year. Then I would probably buy the cheapest skates you can find at prohockeylife (huge selection/typically best prices).

The $800 skates are even overkill for adult rec most would say. More $ typically makes them lighter, with more protection etc

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

Pro Skate ashop in Maria loop is great if you're looking for the good stuff. Their service is impeccable. I mostly deal with the goalie side. Bought my skates and gear there. Best in town.