Quantcast
Version of your smart phone - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Version of your smart phone

Default Version of your smart phone

It seems that there are a number of beyond members that will go out of their way to ensure that they have the latest version of a particular model of cell phone - iPhone or the Galaxy S series as examples.

That said, I wonder how many do not rock the latest and greatest and why. Myself, my last upgrade was about a year ago to a Galaxy S4 from an S3. I didn't want a huge screen and use the phone mostly for email, calendar, note taking, texting and photos in a minor amount, Dropbox and Google Drive and some surfing. No gaming, no videos, no FaceTime or equivalent stuff, no Instagram and such - just simple shit I would say. Best of all, I got to keep my ancient grandfathered plan - thought I'd have to lose that plan but the Rogers rep said I could keep it because my upgrade was so minimal. Didn't really make sense to me but I was happy.

So what are others doing, waiting to jump to that next fancier version or satisfied for some older clunker?

My Ride
    G37X

Rocking an S5 from a bit over 2 years ago. Had an S3 for 2 years before that. Really don't feel a need for anything fancier. Probably upgrade in another 6 months to a year.

My Ride
    Ford

have a 6 plus for a few year now. didn't get it on release or anything. had a 4s before that. will use this till a 7s probably.
    Street Tune
    446HP 536TQ W/6# Lower, 3.5 upper 16* and 16psi

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I am on my 3rd Sony Xperia Z Ultra (released 2013 - used to be the biggest phone on the market).

I will continue to rock this device for the next few years as it works fantastic. 64gb SD storage is plenty for me.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Back when the Nexus line was affordable, yes I was on the latest and greatest bought outright.

Currently, for work it's whatever they offer without the pay-to-upgrade fee, so essentially whatever is $0 on a 2yr contract. Got a LG G3 back in Feb.

Personal phone: running a BB Priv. Debating an upgrade but as stated in other threads, I'm riding out micro USB as long as I can before I make a big jump to USB-C so I'm limited on my choices if I wanna upgrade again immediately.

Derail: I put my parents onto BLU phones bought out from Amazon. Bought them brand new at $140 each. Wondering who here rocks a non-mainstream phone i.e. the ones at Costco or the cheapo Huawei's (obviously excl Nexus 6p and likes)
    Last edited by jwslam; 12-29-2016 at 11:30 AM.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

I'm a one feature phone guy, (within reason), I will try to continually buy the best camera phone on the market. I have an S6 edge and I am consistently impressed with the photo quality (everything else is good too), I will upgrade to a S8/Pixel when pricing comes to about $500 for an unlocked version.
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-23-2020 at 01:35 PM.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

I usually upgrade every 3 years. After 3 years my current phone is usually getting old and battery issues. There's rarely a new feature that I just gotta have.
    Though the 6 plus being so much bigger was an incentive.
    I also seem to be the only person who doesn't give a rat's ass about the camera "quality".
    Yes it's convenient to have, but I don't care what chip/features you cram in, you're still shooting through a tiny POS lens.

Using iphone 4s since launch. Want to upgrade, but couldn't stomach the price, maybe the next iphone version. With the 4s, I won't be enticed into getting the watch as well since it is not supported.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Default Re: Version of your smart phone

Originally posted by speedog
    That said, I wonder how many do not rock the latest and greatest and why.
    According to this poll, not as many as you think:
    http://forums.beyond.ca/st/398154/ho...de-your-phone/

Default Re: Re: Version of your smart phone

Originally posted by D'z Nutz

According to this poll, not as many as you think:
    http://forums.beyond.ca/st/398154/ho...de-your-phone/
    From that thread, jwslam with 32 phones already in probably a timespan that I've owned 5 or 6 - that makes my head swim.

My Ride
    4x4

Hahaha, back to a nexus 4 after my 5 decided to get stuck in a reboot loop...

Debating hunt for a 6P/5X or going to look at the Costco phones... this 4s screen has lost its very center channels on the digitizer...

My Ride
    Ford

ive had a iphone 3gs. iphone 4s and now an iphone 6s
    all were bought after a new release was done.
    so 3 phones since june 2009. before that i just used work flip phones.
    Street Tune
    446HP 536TQ W/6# Lower, 3.5 upper 16* and 16psi

My Ride
    Blue boy

Rocking an S6 from a year ago, bought it used

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

I started with a S2 which just got slow and lack of space so upgraded to a S4. From there I went to a S7 as my S4 started having issues and I look for a phone that has an expansion slot for sd cards.

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Always gotta rock the newest phone...

You want to be the shark of the ocean or a fish of the ocean??....
    ...@therealarifjina...

Sporting the BB Priv.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

I had been using a Samsung Galaxy S5 since January 2014, but after I've dropped it a couple of times, the front glass is in horrible shape, and the rear camera now takes crappy photos. Also, the battery life has diminished so much that I have to recharge way too often for the little activity the phone has. Not impressed.

Thought about hitting up eBay for parts to fix it, or get a local shop to do it, but I'd still have an outdated model after $100 to $200 in repairs.

I was able to get well over 3 years on its predecessor, a Samsung Galaxy SIIx.

I wanted to get the Nexus 6P because of the good reviews and I liked the looks of it, but TELUS would have made me increase my rate plan from my current $60/month to $90/month for a 2-year term. I have been without any income for a year, so I couldn't justify that.

Bought a Samsung Galaxy J3 from Costco for $175 about a month ago and have liked it so far. Not as fast nor as fancy as a brand new Galaxy S7 or iPhone, but it's what I can afford now and it does the job I need it to.

Once my contract commitment with TELUS ends in mid-January, thinking I'll switch to Public Mobile and will pay $45/month and will get 2 GB data in place of my current 1 GB/month with TELUS. Will have paid off the phone in one year, and not be under a contract, and will still have a lower monthly plan compared to current plan.

TL, DR: I'm too old and too poor for the newest version of a cell phone.

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

I'm going to upgrade right away to a iphone 7 plus, I'm not happy with my Samsung s6 as it's starting to fail.

My Ride
    NC1

iPhone6s+ but I am missing the size of the 5. usually get a new one every 2 years.

I had the 2g, skipped the 3g, got the3GS, skipped the 4, got the 5, skipped the 5s, got the 6+, gave the 6+ to gf and got the 6s+, skipped the 7, will buy the new one in sept or whenever released.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast