Quantcast
NewLeaf Flight Review - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: NewLeaf Flight Review

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Default NewLeaf Flight Review

Booked a return flight on Christmas Eve, coming back on New Year's Eve from Calgary to Abbotsford and back.

Flight outbound was 3h delayed, we were told that we would be landing in YVR due to poor landing conditions in Abbotsford so most of the plane made plans to get picked up in Vancouver. Mid-flight we were told that we would be landing in Abbotsford after all, super unprofessional. Flight plan was filed for YVR mind you, not sure if a non-technical reason for landing in YXX is acceptable by Nav Canada.

Coming home last night, flight was supposed to leave at 4:30. Inbound plane was late by an hour and apparently had mechanical issues. 90 mins into the repair job the crew timed out and apparently the mechanic couldn't fix it in that time, so they further delayed the flight to 9pm, which got further pushed to 10:15. WestJet also cancelled their 10pm flight from Abbotsford because their de-icing machine broke, and I don't know if that's the only one but that's the only one that I could see.

I nope-d out of there and booked a flight from YVR while I could, turns out that the flight eventually didn't leave until 5AM this morning from Abbotsford. Social media posts on the NewLeaf website show that WestJet actually ended up boarding one of the two fucked Newleaf flights to retrieve luggage and fed the customers too. Absolutely unacceptable in Canada and they honestly have piss poor customer relations practices.

We were offered rebookings, but the lady at the counter said that there was a flight "sometime tomorrow" and to call the customer service line for more assistance or if I wanted a refund, calling them got a busy signal and later I found out that it was closed.

TL;DR: Newleaf/Flair Air doesn't have their shit together, no matter how cheap it's not worth flying them as you don't know if you're even going to get there within a reasonable amount of time. Poor customer relations. Planes are super filthy, and the seats are really, really tight width wise. Legroom was an inch or two more than the incumbents.

Edit: Forgot to mention the report I read that WestJet ended up bringing in food for NewLeaf passengers cause they felt bad. Also wanted to clarify that I realize I flew a sketchy super cheap airline and not to expect much at all, but I've flown AirAsia and other LCC's in the Asia region before and none of them were ever this disorganized, even when the plane was fubared.
    Last edited by cyra1ax; 01-01-2017 at 06:46 PM.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

I gave them a shot flying Abbotsford to Calgary today because westjet was 250+$ and I paid 99$ with tax via new leaf and had no bags to check and with just my backpack it's small enough to be a personal item not a carryon bag so was free

Airport wise it's Abbotsford so online check in, minimal security line, and straight to the gate like normal. We boarded on time, they were a bit slow having to read the seat number then enter it in the computer instead of scanning anything which was odd.

Boarded flight on time, baggage was slow to load and then Abbotsford got 6" of snow so we were delayed clearing off the wings and de-icing the plane. Wasn't impressed how long it took (1 hour delay) but at the same time snow for Vancouver isn't all that common and the earlier air Canada and westjet flights were cancelled all together.

Overall you get what you pay for, wasn't in a time crunch to get home and less than half the price I would've paid with AC/West jet since I had no bags so I'm okay with it this time, would consider using again and giving it a second shot.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

never even heard of them...
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I really like the Abbotsford airport, and depending on your destination in the lower mainland, it can be faster to fly there instead of yvr.

Will give these new guys some time to get their shit together before flying with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Originally posted by spikerS
    never even heard of them...
    They just popped up the last few months. IIRC they only added Abbotsford-Calgary route a month or two ago and thats the only route for Calgary.

Its basically a budget pay for everything airline that is common in the US and Europe.

For example to fly home I paid

99$ fare /w tax

But if I wanted anything else is cost extra:
    Checking in, in person ~10$
    1 Carry on item ~30$ (the included fare only includes a personal item like a purse, brief case or small backpack, has to fit under the seat)
    1 checked bag ~25$
    2nd checked bag ~35$
    Anything besides water ~3$ I think? So pop, juice, coffee all cost $.

none of the airlines have great customer service unfortunately.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

No matter what destination your flight plan is filed to, you are free to change it at any time during the flight. Nav Canada doesn't care.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Agree that airlines in Canada get away with no fucks given because of politicians who are worried about their jobs instead of legislating compensation (like in the EU) for non-weather delays past a certain point.
    Incentivize measures to protect the pax, instead of just pandering to the airlines.

However, you went traveling on the busiest time of the year, in shit weather, with a new airline - all to save a few bucks. You need to adjust your expectations.

EDIT - given the number of pending law suits and unpaid creditors, I would not fly with this airline. I wonder if that was why they were denied a landing slot at YVR. This will end up as another Canada 3000.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NewLeaf

EDIT - they are getting slapped around on Twitter pretty good....apparently they state "all" delays are Wx related (even plane mechanical issues?)

https://twitter.com/newleaftravel/with_replies?lang=en
    Last edited by revelations; 01-02-2017 at 12:52 PM.

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Originally posted by Maxx Mazda
    No matter what destination your flight plan is filed to, you are free to change it at any time during the flight. Nav Canada doesn't care.
    Thanks, was honestly curious about this as a slight avgeek.

Originally posted by revelations
    Agree that airlines in Canada get away with no fucks given because of politicians who are worried about their jobs instead of legislating compensation (like in the EU) for non-weather delays past a certain point.
    Incentivize measures to protect the pax, instead of just pandering to the airlines.

However, you went traveling on the busiest time of the year, in shit weather, with a new airline - all to save a few bucks. You need to adjust your expectations.

EDIT - given the number of pending law suits and unpaid creditors, I would not fly with this airline. I wonder if that was why they were denied a landing slot at YVR. This will end up as another Canada 3000.

EDIT - they are getting slapped around on Twitter pretty good....apparently they state "all" delays are Wx related (even plane mechanical issues?)

I realize that wx and mx issues are out of anyone's control, and that I was travelling a shitty time of the year with a pretty unknown airline, however the expectation is that they run their operation with a certain amount of professionalism and logical reasoning.

For example, the de-ice machine was down, and there were mx issues with the aircraft. Surely they are able to estimate how long it takes to source parts & carry out the repair, and make a decision whether or not to move people out of the airport and into lodging for the night. To keep people there from an ETD of 16:30 until an eventual departure of 05:30 is absolutely irrational and unacceptable. My expectations were managed, as I've flown LCC carriers elsewhere in the world before, but this was shocking the way that matters were handled.

My Ride
    NC1

Well no one died so that's always good
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Originally posted by cyra1ax

Thanks, was honestly curious about this as a slight avgeek.

I realize that wx and mx issues are out of anyone's control, and that I was travelling a shitty time of the year with a pretty unknown airline, however the expectation is that they run their operation with a certain amount of professionalism and logical reasoning.

For example, the de-ice machine was down, and there were mx issues with the aircraft. Surely they are able to estimate how long it takes to source parts & carry out the repair, and make a decision whether or not to move people out of the airport and into lodging for the night. To keep people there from an ETD of 16:30 until an eventual departure of 05:30 is absolutely irrational and unacceptable. My expectations were managed, as I've flown LCC carriers elsewhere in the world before, but this was shocking the way that matters were handled.
    While I do agree, that whole week was a clusterfuck everywhere. My flight from Calgary to Vancouver (WestJet) was outright cancelled and they told me the earliest I could fly was 30 hours later (from 8am flight to a 2pm next day flight). After waiting in the hour and a half chaos line to get to the checkin desk they moved me to a 9pm abbotsford flight instead which still meant a 13 hour delay and a different airport to arrange pickup to.

I'm not trying to defend newleaf but all the airlines were fucked from the snow both here and in the vancouver area.

Jan 1st morning Wesjet and Aircanada cancelled 4 flights out of abbotsford all together again causing people to sit and have to rebook or travel over to vancouver to catch alternate flights.

Originally posted by revelations

I know they need to bring in passengers to pay who they owe but this is exactly why I will never consider them. Zero fucks were given to companies employed to perform work for them so I doubt their customer service will be any different. Morally bankrupt people deserve to fail...

What happened to this airline flying out of Calgary to Phoenix-Mesa??? All those flights are gone?!!

Edit: Well that was short-lived. I guess Westjet bullied them right out of Calgary.

Was going to book 5 seats to Phoenix for February. Good thing I didn't book it, even though they're promising a full refund for everyone who did.
    Last edited by C_Dave45; 01-12-2017 at 07:28 PM.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Originally posted by C_Dave45
    What happened to this airline flying out of Calgary to Phoenix-Mesa??? All those flights are gone?!!

Edit: Well that was short-lived. I guess Westjet bullied them right out of Calgary.

Was going to book 5 seats to Phoenix for February. Good thing I didn't book it, even though they're promising a full refund for everyone who did.
    Yeah all their abbotsford - calgary routes are gone too which sucks

My Ride
    MDX

Originally posted by C_Dave45

Bullied? Lol
    It's fine for a new competitor to come into a market, but when the incumbent pushes back its bullying? I had to laugh when the quotes from the New Leaf media relations people came out.

Originally posted by jdmakkord

Bullied? Lol
    It's fine for a new competitor to come into a market, but when the incumbent pushes back its bullying? I had to laugh when the quotes from the New Leaf media relations people came out.
    Considering WJA didn't offer the route previously, and decided to add the route at a loss when a new entrant came in... yeah I'd say that is bullying
    ---

Bullied? Lol
    https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/rep...service=mobile
    Originally posted by InRich
    I think it should be a MINIMUM payment of 20% across the board for any kinda house. Who can't save 20% nowadays, just stop eating out, drive a japanese shit box, and save, its not hard.. have some fucking discipline. Half you niggers shouldn't even be in the houses you live in now.

we can't all drive X5Ms

it appears that Calgary route no long is an option. Anyone know if this was just a xmas special or if they will be adding it back?

My Ride
    MDX

Originally posted by kenny

Considering WJA didn't offer the route previously, and decided to add the route at a loss when a new entrant came in... yeah I'd say that is bullying
    That's what we call competition in the airline industry.

That's what we call competition in the airline industry.
    And yet westjet screamed exactly the same as Newleaf. Hello pot
    Originally posted by InRich
    I think it should be a MINIMUM payment of 20% across the board for any kinda house. Who can't save 20% nowadays, just stop eating out, drive a japanese shit box, and save, its not hard.. have some fucking discipline. Half you niggers shouldn't even be in the houses you live in now.

we can't all drive X5Ms

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast