Quantcast
Is Enmax giving solar rebates yet? (your own system grid tie) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Is Enmax giving solar rebates yet? (your own system grid tie)

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

Default Is Enmax giving solar rebates yet? (your own system grid tie)

with new "Carbon tax" adding up . Will more people getting solar?

anyone on here getting enmax solar credits for electricity generated? (users not using the Enmax solar system they sold http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...osts-1.1156817)

My Ride
    something green

There was a guy on with Danielle Smith of Friday, an EE that sells solar systems. He said the Enmax system isn't enough to power your toaster through a month and its basically sold for people to green their conscience.
    The other statements he made , is that with the way we are charged for the transmission charges and the extra charges, Solar is not economical in Alberta, and he sells it.
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    Parked in the Bike Lane

Solar is economical if it's sufficiently subsidized. Lets spend more of our social dollars on this initiative.

My Ride
    Nothing

Jeese, you guys are pretty uneducated - solar has a 2yr energy payback, it works!
    https://twitter.com/SPhillipsAB/stat...65822299340805

(now go look up what energy payback means )
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    14 fit, 11 Ridgeline, 12 outlander

As someone who works with the generation of the solar setups on peoples houses i can tell you unless you have an entire 3000 sq ft house as 1 big solar panel you aren't going to see any benefit ever.
    Originally posted by Unknown303
    Everything makes me upset.
    Originally posted by Mibz
    Nonsense. You've all got slanty eyes, play Starcraft, speak Chinese and eat nothing but sushi and ginger beef.

DON'T TRY AND CONVINCE ME OTHERWISE

Originally posted by M.alex
    Jeese, you guys are pretty uneducated - solar has a 2yr energy payback, it works!

So typical.

All emotion and bias. No critical thought what so ever.

It's people like her that makes society suck.
    Last edited by Seth1968; 01-02-2017 at 09:04 PM.

My Ride
    KTM

Pretty sure you can only size your system to your annual consumption and not oversize to increase production. This means if you have a capacity factor of 30% you will only be able to offset your bill for the most part and not fill your actual need.

Also regardless of what you generate you still have to pay the fixed "fees" on your monthly bill.

I did a project on this last year, in order to economical the system size would need to be over sized to break even in a reasonable time frame.

Originally posted by M.alex

That's a pretty funny Twitter string. She makes a claim in an effort to discredit a statement made by the WR, then when confronted on the ridiculousness of the claim she bails on her ownership of it by saying it's from the Dept of Energy, failing to mention she omitted all types of qualifiers and details that now puts her claim completely out of context all while trying to spin things off her disingenuous behaviour and back at the WR. Even being so bold as to miss the hypocrisy when she said they didn't bother to fact check their info

Shannon Phillips is a complete piece of human garbage.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

Originally posted by drtoohotty1
    As someone who works with the generation of the solar setups on peoples houses i can tell you unless you have an entire 3000 sq ft house as 1 big solar panel you aren't going to see any benefit ever.
    A few months ago, there was a guy on 770 that's in the solar business. He claimed a typical Alberta home would need about a $30,000 set up to run a house adequately.

As usual, no mention of what to do when the panels are snow covered, or potentially smashed by hail. Also no mention of how insurance companies would approach it (likely a huge increase in your home insurance). But the big "no mention as usual", is what about all these explosive toxic boxes, and how quickly will they start to die?

My Ride
    KTM

Originally posted by Seth1968

A few months ago, there was a guy on 770 that's in the solar business. He claimed a typical Alberta home would need about a $30,000 set up to run a house adequately.

As usual, no mention of what to do when the panels are snow covered, or potentially smashed by hail. Also no mention of how insurance companies would approach it (likely a huge increase in your home insurance). But the big "no mention as usual", is what about all these explosive toxic boxes, and how quickly will they start to die?
    30 k sounds right.

Snow typically doesn't make much of a difference as there is very little sun to capture anyway at this time of year. Depending on angle of the panels it might not stay anyway. If you were off grid you would likely clean them to capture what you can.

They are rated for hail- to date this hasn't been a issue in Alberta. Insurance companies usually cover in their standard policy.

Not sure what is going to explode? Panels are made of silicone, depending on the type of panel they would require proper disposal at end of life but I think there is little to no chance of explosion. They will degrade overtime for sure, this is something that all manufactures will disclose (truthfully or not who knows).

Here is a decent FAQ- https://solaralberta.ca/content/faqs
    Last edited by craigcd; 01-02-2017 at 10:29 PM.

what do typical rebates look like? I can't see them being that great. If you were given a rebate of $100/month it would take you 25 years to pay it off assuming not a dime more went into repairs or maintenance.

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

^ i can only imagine a 30k must run a big setup ^

my system was 78/cents a watt installed, (4000 watt) grid tie inverter was 900usd...... i didnt connect it yet no interest in it yet,. enmax doesnt give me a process or is random, asks me to email [email protected] and i get no where with them, I will have an electrician do it in the future..

i have the system connected to a UPS to power computers 24/7 hybrid system, its been online since starting 2008-2012 no issues. deep cycle optima batteries are the best it seems

My Ride
    F355 Challenge/996TT/FD3S/968 Turbo/NSX

Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

That's a pretty funny Twitter string. She makes a claim in an effort to discredit a statement made by the WR, then when confronted on the ridiculousness of the claim she bails on her ownership of it by saying it's from the Dept of Energy, failing to mention she omitted all types of qualifiers and details that now puts her claim completely out of context all while trying to spin things off her disingenuous behaviour and back at the WR. Even being so bold as to miss the hypocrisy when she said they didn't bother to fact check their info

Shannon Phillips is a complete piece of human garbage.
    Don't forget, Red Deer has the worst air quality in the world. But only when you measure on days when Washington state has massive wildfires

My Ride
    Bicycle

Collect tax in Jan. May tell programs on lower carbon footprint in Spring.