Quantcast
Part Time work - overqualified? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Part Time work - overqualified?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Default Part Time work - overqualified?

Feeling a little discouraged lately. Have been looking for some part-time work so I can supplement my income while still working on building up my business. Ideally, I'd find somewhere that needs me three shifts a week, evenings and weekends are fine, and if those shifts happened to be longer, like 10 or 12 hours that would be great.

My issue is that I've spent the last 14 years working in office-based engineering or management roles. So my resume is a bit intimidating. I need to find a way to market myself as a hardworking, mature and reliable guy. Unfortunately, I don't think I'm coming across that way. I've had two recent employers tell me I wasn't a fit for their "entry level" jobs because of my experience. One of them was a beyonder too.

I'm still looking into some temp positions, and I'm sure I can get work that way, but ideally, I'd find something more stable. I'm not looking for $50/hr or anything, I totally assume most of these jobs are near minimum wage.

Thoughts, advice, suggestions or abuse? Bring it on everyone.

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

I know where I work the manager said he would not hire oil field electricians from up north as once it picks up they will head back up there for the good money again. With All the money they put into training and loses you may cost the company as the new guy I can see there point. No advice but it sucks to be in your situation. Maybe try a snow removal company??

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I worked in a warehouse in the SE, while vastly over qualified (just wanted some extra cash).

People working there thought I was nuts (overqualified) , but I quite liked working in a physical job.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Sounds silly but try dumbing down your resume? Drop off a lot of the high level experience and make it sound like you were a low level office grunt and good at assisting people and try using that to apply.

Perhaps a temp agency is the way to go. Plus, if you're a good employee, it can often work out to be a permanent part or full time position.

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

Look at it from their point of view, they probably don't want to hire someone that will bugger off as soon as they find a better job. Waste of their time and resources.

A temp job would probably be best for you while you find permanent work fit for your skills.

We're looking for an EIT, but we're looking for someone in agriculture so they don't leave as soon as oil picks up. You're a technologist correct? or am I getting you mixed up with someone else. Maybe post your skills in case someone can hook you up?

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Splash on some cheap whiskey and hit up the temp agencies... different gig every time you get called but if you do a good job then that company might request you again when they need some extra labour

Or there is different things you can do part time to generate some income, like lead generating for people in commission based businesses, or flipping cars, or anything really

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Yeah, back in the day I did quite a few different temp jobs. Worked in a few warehouses, even a fertilizer plant (putting shit into bags for 10 hours straight). That's actually exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. I have enough "brain work" to do building my company, so I don't mind laboring type roles.

The only hitch is that the hours need to be pretty predictable. I've got young kids, one of which is special needs, so stability is important. Snow removal probably can't provide that.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

A lot of the temp jobs aren't actually temporary. It's just an easier way for these employers to find a good permanent employee.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

People who hire casual workers (like warehouse) dont care whether youre going back to OG as the staff turnaround is retarded.

I worked in a warehouse (National Fast Freight) for 3 months and I was unusual in that, not only was I stupidly overqualified, I actually, normally, showed up for work scheduled and stuck around for a few months.

Originally posted by danno
    I know where I work the manager said he would not hire oil field electricians from up north as once it picks up they will head back up there for the good money again. With All the money they put into training and loses you may cost the company as the new guy I can see there point. No advice but it sucks to be in your situation. Maybe try a snow removal company??
    Same here, we needed a warehouse guy and had so many applications from OG guys and just ignored them because we knew theyd be gone once they got a chance at an OG job.

Originally posted by pheoxs
    Sounds silly but try dumbing down your resume? Drop off a lot of the high level experience and make it sound like you were a low level office grunt and good at assisting people and try using that to apply.

Yeah its temp for you but the guy doing the hiring might not think so and the last thing he probably wants is some highly qualified guy potentially taking his job or raising issues with others for how in efficient the place is running under his guidance lol

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

We had a guy with an MBA work at the Starbucks i was at in high school for 6 months

But yea a lot of people are almost as bad as British Colombians here in Alberta when it comes to hiring someone with a drop of oil on the resume.

Have you considered bartending? Even working in a kitchen? Sounds like the shifts would be ideal for you based on availability. Not sure how far down the totem pole you are willing to go to find work so I apologize in advance if the suggestion of bartending or pouring coffee isn't up your alley. We are talking jobs that barely require a resume at all.

edit: One the snow removal concept, you could sign up with Mowsnowpros ( Uber for snow removal and lawn mowing ). You just work when you want so the hours will inherently work.

No idea if people actually use the app and service though, guy I know from high school started it.

http://mowsnowpros.com/become-a-mowsnowpro/

20 bucks here and there might be ok?
    Last edited by killramos; 01-03-2017 at 02:14 PM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

It is true. I recently hired a few people and there was one individual who would have been perfect. He was a nice guy with a reliable reference and loads of pertinent experience. But that experience was in oil and gas and because the job required months of training, I didn't want to invest in training him in fear of him up and leaving in a few months when oil recovered.

The suggestion to dumb down the resume might work. Might also want to work as a contractor where you guarantee a year worth of your time.

Other than that, I have no real suggestions. I am sure there is a lot of this going on during these tough times.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Originally posted by killramos
    Have you considered bartending? Even working in a kitchen? Sounds like the shifts would be ideal for you based on availability. Not sure how far down the totem pole you are willing to go to find work so I apologize in advance if the suggestion of bartending or pouring coffee isn't up your alley. We are talking jobs that barely require a resume at all.
    100% would love a bartending or barista gig. I can pour drinks, and am presentable. Not beneath me at all.

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

Originally posted by ExtraSlow

100% would love a bartending or barista gig. I can pour drinks, and am presentable. Not beneath me at all.
    But do you have tits?

Bar tending wouldn't be a bad gig!
    Last edited by NoPulp; 01-03-2017 at 02:49 PM.

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

Take your hobby, craft a new resume based on that (no need to hit Home Depot or whatever with a 3-page engineering resume obviously), and apply at the applicable store. That has always been my plan for unemployment or a "keep busy" retirement job anyway.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    Take your hobby, craft a new resume based on that (no need to hit Home Depot or whatever with a 3-page engineering resume obviously), and apply at the applicable store. That has always been my plan for unemployment or a "keep busy" retirement job anyway.

Know a few people that picked up second jobs in retail for the discounts on the things they like to buy anyways... saving money on things you're going to buy anyways is just as good as making money

^^ Good point, you also likely will get discounts on things you like and would buy anyway.

Also just to add to my comment, I think the biggest hurdle is that wherever you go knows you'll be gone the instant a better job in your original field comes up, so they will need to be OK with that. Otherwise, who wouldn't want a personable engineer making coffee? (or whatever ti is). They know you would be competent, reliable, etc. but also that you'll be gone the instant your 6-figure job is back.

Another temp job I was considering when I thought I was going to be unemployed was a Porter at the hospital. Flexible shift work with good pay (considering no experience/education necessary) and a overall pretty decent environment full of women haha.

My Ride
    Born in Stuttgart

As has been said dumb down you resume...

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Originally posted by austic
    As has been said dumb down you resume...
    What do you even put on a resume like that? Name, email address, and then blank?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast