Quantcast
Your phone is instantly irellevant.(Snapdragon 835) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Your phone is instantly irellevant.(Snapdragon 835)

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

Default Your phone is instantly irellevant.(Snapdragon 835)

https://www.qualcomm.com/news/snapdr...snapdragon-835

Qualcomm released the Snapdragon 835

Smaller than a penny, vast improvements in performance and battery life.

8 core, Built in Gigabit LTE, Multi band Gigabit WIFI, Bluetooth 5, HDR10 video.... just insane, 1 generation and that vast improvement.

The shift to 10nm means that the overall size of the Snapdragon 835 is 30% smaller than that of the Snapdragon 820, and the node shift brings improvements in energy efficiency to the tune of 40%. Qualcomm is also touting a performance increase of 27% over the previous generation. The smaller design allows handset vendors to build phones with larger batteries or devices with thinner profiles.

http://www.androidcentral.com/snapdr...ampaign=buffer
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Lab testing, sure, will wait to see what happens in an actual phone. I imagine heating might become an issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

The 820 had 40% more graphics power and double the processor performance and efficiency of the 810, but any improvement is always welcome, especially accompanied with a physical size reduction. To see them keep refining what is already so refined is impressive. It's hard to imagine a phone faster than the one I'm using now but I say that every year and am always surprised with what comes next

The GS8 is going to be a beast and the 835 likely in all the 2017 flagships.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

I vaguely remember apple touting their new A10 processor was like 40% faster than the 820 so does this more or less mean they're about the same?

Its hard to get excited about this crap anymore because at the end of the day the phones run great when they're new and just get slower and slower throughout their lifetime anyways.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Let me know when a phone using this chip is available in stores.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by pheoxs

Its hard to get excited about this crap anymore because at the end of the day the phones run great when they're new and just get slower and slower throughout their lifetime anyways.
    My Nexus 5 lasted waaaaaaay longer in how long it took until it started getting bogged down compared to my Nexus 5X. I don't know how that works, but drives me nuts My nexus 5x is a laggy piece of shit like I remember my GS3 being

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by pheoxs
    I vaguely remember apple touting their new A10 processor was like 40% faster than the 820 so does this more or less mean they're about the same?

A10 (7) is 40% faster than A9 in the sense that it can run on 2 faster cores or 2 slower cores where A9 (6s, 6) is only dual core always on.

Both A9 and A10 is using 16nm process, so in theory 835 using 10nm process means for the same work load, 835 should use 40% less energy than A10.

That said, like I said in the other thread, for most people who are not heavy users, this isn't that big of a news. Eventually, all 2017 flagship will ship with 835, much like 820 and 21 is in 2016 flagships and 808/810 are in 2015 flagships.

As for new phone get slower with age and usage, that's just the nature of SSDs as storage fills up. If your phone ever get used more than 70-80% for storage, expect slow down but eventually it will level out. And on top, Android seems to do better after a full reset on every major OS upgrade anyway.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 01-03-2017 at 06:02 PM.

I think what's more exciting is the fact that Qualcomm is looking to get Windows 10 and all legacy apps working on it.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2017/01/03/wi...to-pc-silicon/

Qualcomm threw the gauntlet down with Intel today at CES during a press conference, stating:

“We’re supporting Windows 10. That’s not Windows 10 with an asterisk, it’s full Windows 10, including support for legacy apps,” said Keith Kressin, senior vice president of corporate development at Qualcomm.

Now, the next piece of the puzzle has fallen into place. Direct X12 support is built directly into the Snapdragon835’s. While Snapdragon processors have primarily been used in Android devices in the past, this feature may go unused on mobile platforms. It’s inclusion in the 835, however, exemplifies Qualcomm’s efforts to push into the Windows PC market.

The 835’s Direct X12 support makes Qualcomm now a serious contender in the PC processor space, even for demanding Windows 10 applications.

High-end Intel CPUs are likely to continue to outperform Qualcomm’s Windows offerings for now, but what the processor manufacturer does have, is mid-range performance at an entry-level price, with unmatched size, heat reductions and battery life improvement.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Xaroxantu Zero
    I think what's more exciting is the fact that Qualcomm is looking to get Windows 10 and all legacy apps working on it.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2017/01/03/wi...to-pc-silicon/

Interesting development. I have been hearing rumor on this for a bit and thought it is a Microsoft initiative. Nice to see Qualcomm is onboard.

Boy, unless there is some caveat on this alliance, giving Windows access to so many ARM devices out there could be a game changer to MS.

Just make a phone that lasts 2 days without a charge after 2 years of use, like my Sony did only when it was new. That's all I ask.

My Ride
    is broken

Originally posted by Dumbass17
    Just make a phone that lasts 2 days without a charge after 2 years of use, like my Sony did only when it was new. That's all I ask.
    Im with ya there. We keep making all these efficiency improvements then squandering them on bigger brighter screens, feature creep, and form factor.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Until I can walk around with something like Google glasses (but not as ugly and intrusive) tethered to my phone - which also has a virtual keyboard that beams to a surface - this is like moving from XP to Vista for me (ie. not really that awesome, evolutionary rather than revolutionary).

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by jacky4566
    Im with ya there. We keep making all these efficiency improvements then squandering them on bigger brighter screens, feature creep, and form factor.
    The majority of the power draw comes from the LTE and Wifi radios. Until such time we are blanketed with LTE towers and wifi access points we are going to be stuck with high transmit power and high power consumption. So just because a CPU can run 40% less power draw, you're not going to see a 40% improvement in battery life. The cpu uses so little power most of the time compared to other parts of the smartphone such as GPU when playing games.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

To be honest, I don't really think I'd notice any difference in speed at this point. The speed of all phones right now are already so fast.

The only welcomed change would be the energy efficiency. I agree with Rage though, it's usually the cell + wifi radios that drain most of the battery.

Oh and of course super bright screens.

I miss my samsung flip phone... 3 days of battery life! lol

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Yea, the old flip phones, even the later ones with internet connectivity, gets away with such long life because it's not always on internet. You close the phone up, radio stops transmitting. Imagine trying to pull that off today, no notifications, no emails, no messages until you open up your phone haha.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Originally posted by rage2
    Yea, the old flip phones, even the later ones with internet connectivity, gets away with such long life because it's not always on internet. You close the phone up, radio stops transmitting. Imagine trying to pull that off today, no notifications, no emails, no messages until you open up your phone haha.
    This is essentially was doze is in the new versions of Android. Non-priority notifications will not be received while the phone is in doze mode.

Originally posted by Dumbass17
    My Nexus 5 lasted 2 full days with light-medium use after 3 years.

My Nexus 6P and now the Pixel XL I am certain would still last 2 days after 2 years.

What hurts lithium batteries is heat, and deep discharges, so it depends a lot on how you use it if your plan is maximum battery longevity.

Originally posted by Hero_X
    I miss my samsung flip phone... 3 days of battery life! lol
    I average 2.5-3 days between charges on the Pixel XL and approximately 4 hours SoT. Same on my Nexus 6P before it. And if charging it is convenient in between, even for 20min or so, you can easily add another 8-12 hours onto that.

We're certainly not at flip-phone battery life, but it's pretty good all things considered unless you're an extremely heavy user and can't get to a charger at all in 2-3 days.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 01-04-2017 at 09:59 AM.

My Ride
    Rage2

^^

yeah i have a Xiaomi Redmi Note 4, 4100mah battery, even using it constantly it lasts me a day, if i only used it when it was actually necessary, maybe reduced the screen brightness, disable LTE, actually took some conscious precautions, i am sure it'd last me 2-3 days, and it will charge full in only a couple hours, so really not a big deal.

Dumb phones lasted several days because they weren't always on and being actively used, the screen only turned on when you got a call or message, you weren't playing games or browsing or googling shit... the functionality has appreciated a lot faster than the battery life has depreciated.

^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by spike98
    This is essentially was doze is in the new versions of Android. Non-priority notifications will not be received while the phone is in doze mode.
    Not really. Doze still has a constant connection to the internet to get high priority notifications. That radio transmitting back through LTE/Wifi will still eat away at your battery life, even worse when signal strength is poor and the radio cranks up the power. What doze saves on is that the screen doesn't get woken up, extending battery life that way.

You want to see how long your battery lasts without wifi/LTE, throw on airplane mode. I did this a couple years back in Europe where I had Google download the maps of the city I was in and just used the mapping features in airplane mode without GPS. My 5S lasted 2 days of usage with just using maps and shooting tons of photos and videos.

Like I mentioned earlier, signal strength makes a huge difference in battery life. We're really lucky being in Calgary and having excellent cell coverage in the city regardless of provider. Whenever I'm in the US, cell reception is brutal (especially in cities with lots of active cell users in an area such as Vegas) and easily 1/2 the battery life compared to Calgary.

My Ride
    Rage2

Originally posted by rage2
    Not really. Doze still has a constant connection to the internet to get high priority notifications. That radio transmitting back through LTE/Wifi will still eat away at your battery life, even worse when signal strength is poor and the radio cranks up the power. What doze saves on is that the screen doesn't get woken up, extending battery life that way.

You want to see how long your battery lasts without wifi/LTE, throw on airplane mode. I did this a couple years back in Europe where I had Google download the maps of the city I was in and just used the mapping features in airplane mode without GPS. My 5S lasted 2 days of usage with just using maps and shooting tons of photos and videos.
    yup
    Attached Images Attached Images  

^^ Fact Checked

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast