Quantcast
Dead HP Mini 110 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Dead HP Mini 110

Default Dead HP Mini 110

Working on older HP Mini 110 that won't power up, no lights, no fan, no nothing - power adapter is good, battery is charged properly, have reseated RAM, still nothing. CMOS battery is dead, suspect this could be cause but seems odd to me that laptop wouldn't at least boot up - there are multiple reports of a dead CMOS battery preventing a laptop from booting up so I'll try a new CMOS battery.

New CMOS battery did nothing, open to suggestions, suspect MOBO..

My Ride
    1917 Model T, VW Baja, '18 Ram 2500 CTD/6spd

By 'power adapter is good', I'll assume you checked the output with a meter and aren't just going by an indicator led. If you suspect motherboard, look for capacitors that are leaking, tilted, bulged, rusty etc. Also just for giggles, if it's easy, chase the power switch wire and manually short the power-on jumper as I have seen the odd bad power button.

I'm assuming you also tried a 'hard' reset? The HP procedure is to remove the battery and power source, and hold the power button for 15+ seconds, 3 times. The idea is to drain all the caps fully, then try powering it up. Long shot for sure.

I'm not really a hardware guy anymore so I'm sure others will have better and brighter suggestions, but that's about all the effort I'd personally put in to troubleshooting a 7 year old netbook. The next best use for it is to put a peel'n'stick bullseye on the lid, and add some new ventilation holes in your calibre of choice.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Def check power or the power connection inside the mobo. I saw an asus ROG unit come in that managed to break a power cable pin off inside the mobo and short itself out.

Yupp, have had volt meter on power adapter, have measured voltage on eads going to battery as well as measured levels on battery itself. Did the whole hard reset thing, won't spend much more effort on this.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    AP1 / CRV

tried disconnecting the hdd and seeing if you can at least get mobo to post? if you've disconnected everything you can through process of elimination looks like failed mobo will be the likely culprit

I thought my PSU was good, Memory Express thought my PSU was good....it wasn't. I would still start there. Next thing is Mobo.

You just need to start eliminating things one by one, it sucks.

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    I thought my PSU was good, Memory Express thought my PSU was good....it wasn't. I would still start there. Next thing is Mobo.

You just need to start eliminating things one by one, it sucks.
    Power adapter is good and charging battery, battery is holding a charge. Just no lights including power/charging light, no fan, no nothing. No big deal, just thought it's a nice size to cast shit to the TV while my ass is planted on the couch. Got something new in mind anyways that'll be more versatile.

If you're just using it for casting, I would buy a $35 Chromecast and call it a day.

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    If you're just using it for casting, I would buy a $35 Chromecast and call it a day.
    Already have a Chromecast, I'd be using the laptop to queue stuff up to the Chromecast.

My Ride
    Bicycle

If you have to stay with Windows 10, cheapest laptop is $250 and cheapest tablet is $135. Their specs probably is worse than your HP, although newer. But if you are casting to Chromecast, I don't think it matters.

And you can also cast from your phone, which is way more convenient than PC.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 01-04-2017 at 08:18 PM.

Pull out the main battery (not the cmos battery) and the power adapter.

Hold the power button down for 1 minute.

Leave the battery out and see if it fires up with just the adapter.

NM. Read fail as it was already suggested.
    Last edited by Seth1968; 01-04-2017 at 08:56 PM.

Originally posted by Xtrema
    If you have to stay with Windows 10, cheapest laptop is $250 and cheapest tablet is $135. Their specs probably is worse than your HP, although newer. But if you are casting to Chromecast, I don't think it matters.

And you can also cast from your phone, which is way more convenient than PC.
    I already cast with my phone but I'm an old fucker with progressives so a tablet or smaller laptop just works better. Got an iPad 2 but looking for something not Apple.