Quantcast
To buy or not to buy? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: To buy or not to buy?

Default To buy or not to buy?

welp, i'm sure everyone of us has ran into a situation like mine in the past or at this time.. currently I own a 2000 Civic SE, paid in full off the lot so there's no financing or whatever..

Currently i'm in a secure position at my work, making reasonable amounts of money, not awesome money but good enough that i can consider myself pretty well off at this time.

I have a plan to buy a house in approximately August of 2005 with a 20% downpayment, at the current rate, i have no problem in achieving that goal.

I'm also in a process of a job change, i'm 95% sure I got the job, but i'm not certain.. Anyways, if i get this job, my estimate salary should increase by about 6k.

Currently I pay for school and will graduate with my degree in 2005.. but will be pursuing designations after i graduate. (I pay for school, but my parents re-imburse me the money that automatically goes into my portfolio).

Now to the question. I've always wanted a WRX, i guess I fell in love with them when I lived in HK, and when they touched down in North America a few years back, I definitely wanted one. If you were in my position, would you go out and buy one? (Taking into consideration of buying a house, and my current job situation.)

What i'm thinking about is.. well I can drive my civic for another year, and maybe look into doing a swap, and save myself the money. But then again, i'm weighin the option of buying a new WRX (or maybe a year old WRX) to swapping an engine in 2005 (probably more cost effective right?). The only kicker is that I bought this car with cash, and i'm different in respect that I'm not using it till it dies.. (taking depreciation into account) I should be driving this thing for another 5 years minimum to get my money's worth.

I looked at the Subaru website and find that my monthly payment will be approx 400 a month to finance (including ALLl taxes and since I don't pay for insurance it's not taken into consideration).

If you haven't already figured out, I'm very cheap with my money, and I am constantly monitoring my finances to make sure it is to my standards..

what would you guys suggest?

buy an STi

I could lease an STI, but I don't think that's a reasonable choice, unless if the reasons seem valid.. this is a pretty serious choice for me, and i've just been thinkin about it more and more lately..

How old are you...Married or Single?

My Ride
    R171 and Sttutgarts SUV

the way I look at shit like this is if it's a minimal loss but relatively much greater satisfaction do it, b/c once you get the WRX and use it for awhile it will become normal and then you will be working for something better further up the ladder. As for myself I want a W211 or G-Wagon by September 2005

My Ride
    E36///M3

well if i were you, id definitely lease one. Personally i like the 2001-2003 look the best, idunno if your talking about the new ones or not. But the power is fantastic, with really nice looks. an old impreza RS are also awesome too, and id take either one.
    but yes go for it man, they got potential. And civics are just to common.

this is what i like
    Introduce your heart to your throat.

Originally posted by snowboarder206
    How old are you...Married or Single?
    I'm single.

My Ride
    www.jordanlotoski.com

buy the house man........even if you live in it for a year youll get a way bettter return on it and will be able to afford more then a wrx.....specially with the new CMHC guidlines....i sent yeah a PM man...

"BEYONDS OFFICIAL REALTOR"
    Instagram @jordan_empirewest
    Ranked #1 RE/MAX Professionals (2013-2022)
    Ranked #2 RE/MAX Agent Calgary (2017-2020)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max agent Western Canada (2013-2021)
    Ranked #56 RE/MAX Agent Worldwide (2014)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max Agent Canada (2013-2020)

Check out my mobile app
    goagent.ca/98F1B2F9

thanx for the replies guys.. i intend to finance and not lease.. although I'm not 100% sure how leases work, my intentions aren't really set in stone.. all i know is that leasing is cheaper, and after so many years I have the option to re-finance what's left or give the car back.. another thing i'm weary about is the km restrictions, I bought my Civic in April 2000 and I have just over 86,000km on it.. so I think that's a bit over what average lease restrictions are.. although I'm not sure how much a lease with extra KMs would cost..

I'll have to do more research before I decide.. I would also like to mod the car as well and leasing won't let you do that I believe (correct me if i'm wrong).