Quantcast
paint protection coating opinion - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: paint protection coating opinion

My Ride
    GLK, G37X & S5

Default paint protection coating opinion

Well paint coatings are no longer a new thing and there's a zillion brands out there.

Which brand do you know/use and what's your opinion on them?

I'm doing a market research on nano coating and all who take part could win a bottle of coating.

Thanks all

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Opticoat+
    Looks like it's working quite well as I wash my car with just water in the winter and all the dirt/salt/mud just washes right off with ease.

Although I do have XPEL Ultimate on the whole car as well, so sometimes I wonder if it's the film doing that, or the Opticoat+

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

Opticoat 2.0, Opticoat Pro, Opticoat Gloss, Gtechniq EXO (original) and Cquartz UK

EXO and Opticoat 2.0 was rather finicky and sensitive to temperature.

Opticoat Pro and Gloss was the easiest the apply. Pretty much idiot proof. But the gloss just isn't as deep as EXO or Cquartz UK

Cquartz UK is way more durable than any of the OC. I did my friend's CTR in HK about little under 4 years ago, and it is still going strong when I visited him in October.

Durability
    Cquartz UK > OC Pro/Gloss > OC 2.0/EXO

Gloss
    Cquartz UK > all.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

You will only get 2 years max out of Cquartz while you can get 5 years out of Opti Coat Pro+ so I'm not exactly sure what you are basing durability on. Opti Coat 2.0 has been discontinued for years so no point even including that in any comparisons.

My Ride
    GLK, G37X & S5

Originally posted by Disoblige
    Opticoat+
    Looks like it's working quite well as I wash my car with just water in the winter and all the dirt/salt/mud just washes right off with ease.

Although I do have XPEL Ultimate on the whole car as well, so sometimes I wonder if it's the film doing that, or the Opticoat+

How long have you had the coating? and its the OCP+ that you have right?

Water will still beed for a few years but have you noticed any degrading in the hydrophobic? Many coatings manufacturer don't seem to tell people that the hydrophobic will degrade/lessen in time.

Xpel Ultimate is not hydrophobic and neither in Suntek. We will be having films with nano top coat that are hydrophobic this year.

My Ride
    GLK, G37X & S5

Originally posted by HiSpec
    Opticoat 2.0, Opticoat Pro, Opticoat Gloss, Gtechniq EXO (original) and Cquartz UK

EXO and Opticoat 2.0 was rather finicky and sensitive to temperature.

Opticoat Pro and Gloss was the easiest the apply. Pretty much idiot proof. But the gloss just isn't as deep as EXO or Cquartz UK

Cquartz UK is way more durable than any of the OC. I did my friend's CTR in HK about little under 4 years ago, and it is still going strong when I visited him in October.

Durability
    Cquartz UK > OC Pro/Gloss > OC 2.0/EXO

Gloss
    Cquartz UK > all.
    Thanks for your input man! It seems like you have some experience with the a few of the brands out there.

CarPro, Optimum and Gtechniq are the "popular" ones in Canada.

Have you had the chance to experience Gyeon, Ceramic pro, CS-II or 2pple?

Cquart UK I have found requires layering to get the best gloss and durability. Finest has great gloss and slickness but durability is bad.

This enormous test (the guy applied many different products in a grid on his RV in bad conditions and regularly washed it) was pretty good, but it's from 2009.:

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...=85205&page=10

I've always used Auto Glym Extra Gloss Protection and have found it to be excellent. Do these nanocoats last longer than 4+ months?

My Ride
    GLK, G37X & S5

Originally posted by heavyD
    You will only get 2 years max out of Cquartz while you can get 5 years out of Opti Coat Pro+ so I'm not exactly sure what you are basing durability on. Opti Coat 2.0 has been discontinued for years so no point even including that in any comparisons.

What are your thoughts with layering on both ceramic pro and cquartz UK? Ceramic pro claims that to get the 'ultimate durability'...more than 4+ layers is needed to achieve it.

single application coatings or top/base coat application;

Gtechniq crystal serum (pro) is a 7 years.

CS-II Titanium - 7-10 years.

Gyeon - up to 5 years.

Modesta - 3-10 years.

Artic coating - 3-5 years

Opticoat 2.0 was optimum si02 coating. Durability was decent however gloss was horrible. Gloss coat which is resin provided much better gloss.

My Ride
    GLK, G37X & S5

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    This enormous test (the guy applied many different products in a grid on his RV in bad conditions and regularly washed it) was pretty good, but it's from 2009.:

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...05&page=10

I've always used Auto Glym Extra Gloss Protection and have found it to be excellent. Do these nanocoats last longer than 4+ months?
    all of what's listed there isent really nano coating. They are wax/sealant which are polymer based.

Nano coatings are all SI02 based which some like to call them glass or crystal. Their biggest advantage over traditional paint sealant is durability and ultimate protection because of the hardness.

When coatings were first introduced, they offered great protection but not so great gloss and over the years they have certainly evolved.

Providing years of protection and superb gloss/slickness and shine. Gloss and slickness on some brands even exceed $1000 wax.

longevity/durability on most coating is minimum 2 years to a maximum of up to 10 years.

That's pretty awesome if they can stand up to hand/power washing a couple times a week, and Calgary's winter's for 2+ years.

What do these nanocoats usually cost? And are they as easy to apply as a wax or do most people get them professionally applied?

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

That's pretty awesome if they can stand up to hand/power washing a couple times a week, and Calgary's winter's for 2+ years.

What do these nanocoats usually cost? And are they as easy to apply as a wax or do most people get them professionally applied?
    They have got pretty pricey actually compared to only a few years ago. Most are professional application only although I've done Opti Coat pro myself and it's not difficult but you really have to get a feel for how much to apply, allowing it to flash, and then gently wipe down any high spots. You have to be diligent as any high spots that are left to dry will be permanent. The key is the preparation as the paint has to be stripped, fully decontaminated, and polished to remove any scratches/imperfections as they will show through the coating. A lot of people that do it themselves and complain that the coating didn't last as long as advertised probably didn't to a sufficient prep job.

My Ride
    GLK, G37X & S5

Yep! and in fact washing is actually one of the most important maintenance require for nano coatings. The more you wash the better/longer it will last.
    Washing is easier and will cost less $$$$ and take less time

Another maintenance is doing a light clay bar after winter season to bring back the hydrophobic.

From what I have seen and heard, hydrophobic tends to degrade or lessen a bit due to winter.

consumer products that lasts about 2years can be applied by anyone. Professionally applied ones are usually the ones that lasts longer etc..

Cost is anywhere from $80-$120 for the 'good' ones. Some comes in 30ml and some in 50ml. You can normally do about 1-2 vehicle with a 30ml and 2-3 vehicle with a 50ml. Prep work also plays an important role! wash, clay, paint correction, panel wipe/silicon remover and coat !

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

Originally posted by heavyD
    You are right about the unequal comparison between OCP (not Plus) and CQUK. But I can't fully agree with you. Remember that the CQUK is designed for harsh winter environment. While HK will never experience any of that temperature or environment. So we are able to stretch the durability of the coating and extend it even further with weekly maintenance wash and topped with ReLoad.

If both OCP and CQUK were applied to a vehicle say in Calgary, then yes, you are 100% correct that my comparison was flawed.

I included OC2.0 because the OP asked what we used. So that's why I included it...

My Ride
    2011 C63, 2012 535i M

I was at SEMA earlier this year and the top three coating companies at the show were Ceramic Pro, CS-II and C Quartz.

The Ceramic Pro reps at the show were arrogant and awful, they were bashing other brand like crazy. Their products are very expensive and requires multiple lays to ensure longevity. So I think I'll pass on this one.

CS-II is fairly new in Canada but they're quite popular down in the US. The CS-II titanium offers a sleek and gloss finish that looks way better in person than photos. The coating itself is also super hydrophobic and very easy to clean with a product life of 7-10 years.

C Quartz reps were very knowledge and friendly at the show. I've seen a couple cars done in CQUK but they look okay and not as hydrophobic as it seems. However, they were not done by professionals rather than a DIY project on their own cars, too bad they only last 2 years.
    Last edited by PPF_YYC; 01-07-2017 at 12:40 AM.

My Ride
    GLK, G37X & S5

Thanks everyone for your input.

As promised, we have a bottle of a Nano-1 coating that we will be giving away here for testing.

Please PM me or email me at [email protected]

Cheers

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Just bumping this thread

Recently got my car nano coated last week at a shop

They used IGL Coating Kenzo. Newest stuff on the market? They did a base coat and a top coat.

Anyone heard of this? Or have this on theirs? He preferred this over Ceramic Pro, also carried Car Pro Professional as well but I let him choose whatever he preferred
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just bumping this thread

Recently got my car nano coated last week at a shop

They used IGL Coating Kenzo. Newest stuff on the market? They did a base coat and a top coat.

Anyone heard of this? Or have this on theirs? He preferred this over Ceramic Pro, also carried Car Pro Professional as well but I let him choose whatever he preferred
    which shop? would like to get PP done before winter really hits on a car.

My Ride
    C43 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by TYMSMNY View Post
    which shop? would like to get PP done before winter really hits on a car.
    If you're in Calgary, I would recommend @rlim891 above. He's a master of his craft.

Quote Originally Posted by Tej.S View Post
    If you're in Calgary, I would recommend @rlim891 above. He's a master of his craft.
    Agreed! No one will pay as much attention to your car and back up their work as much as he does. Their products are exceptional!

Quote Originally Posted by Euro838 View Post
    Agreed! No one will pay as much attention to your car and back up their work as much as he does. Their products are exceptional!
    I concur as well. I got my coating done through Rainer @ Sr International as well. Ceramic Pro requires curing time and multiple layers for it to become effective and/or "longer lasting". Mr Frost Detailing uses IGL Coatings and many beyonders aren't happy with his detailing. Just a food for thought.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast