Quantcast
2017/2018 Canada equalization payments have been calculated - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017/2018 Canada equalization payments have been calculated

My Ride
    ute

Default 2017/2018 Canada equalization payments have been calculated

If I wasn't stuck with a Canadian passport, and Canadian family, I'd get the fuck out of this country ASAP. It's full of stupids.

My Ride
    V8s

Perks of working for a global company, I'm seriously looking to GTFO within the next couple of years. The shit-ass weather, combined with the stupids out east, no thank you.

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

Does the US do this as well? Or are states like Michigan left to fend for themselves.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-23-2020 at 01:33 PM.

My Ride
    ute

Originally posted by Sentry
    Does the US do this as well? Or are states like Michigan left to fend for themselves.
    Americans generally don't have a philosophical issue with the idea of labour mobility. Canadians do. So trying to keep people from re-locating around the country to balance labour surpluses/demand is more acceptable to Americans.

I'm confused? What's the problem?

Originally posted by Buster

Americans generally don't have a philosophical issue with the idea of labour mobility. Canadians do. So trying to keep people from re-locating around the country to balance labour surpluses/demand is more acceptable to Americans.
    This is false. Most Americans have changed states more than the average Canadian has changed provinces.

And who exactly is in charge of preventing moving, and "balancing labour" in the US?

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

I am a little confused by the graphic with little information in it.

Does the graphic represent the amount that each province payed out into equalization funds, or is it how much each province received in equalization payments...Also, do the different shades of grey mean anything? and why is Saskatchewan green?
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    ute

Originally posted by Gestalt

This is false. Most Americans have changed states more than the average Canadian has changed provinces.

And who exactly is in charge of preventing moving, and "balancing labour" in the US?
    My point was unclear, but I meant that Americans are generally more mobile and willing to move.

Social programs and safety nets result in less labour mobility as the desire and benefit of moving is reduced. Americans move because otherwise they might go hungry. They also work harder than Canadians, but that's another story.

My Ride
    ute

Originally posted by spikerS
    I am a little confused by the graphic with little information in it.

Does the graphic represent the amount that each province payed out into equalization funds, or is it how much each province received in equalization payments...Also, do the different shades of grey mean anything? and why is Saskatchewan green?
    The graphic was pulled from Saskatchewan site, so that's why it is highlighted.

Equalization payments come from the federal government, and are paid out to each province according to a "formula". So the numbers represent how much of the pie each province is getting.

My Ride
    CAEB, 6G72

Originally posted by cjblair
    I'm seriously looking to GTFO within the next couple of years. The shit-ass weather, combined with the stupids out east, no thank you.
    +1 to this. Lately I haven't felt very patriotic to this country at all. It's hard, since it's basically the east vs the west, and the east has most of the power.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-23-2020 at 01:32 PM.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

My point was unclear, but I meant that Americans are generally more mobile and willing to move.
    Americans generally have more places to go, depending on the field/industry they want to work in.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Equality is brutal in the US. Hawaiian welfare recipient gets $60,590 while the rest of the country gets $16,000 or so.

$20 Trillion debt in the US makes anything in the low Billions seem like peanuts. If its a race to the bottom, Canada is right there with the US.

Alberta grain farmer with worldwide wheat at $140 per ton is probably crying right now. Galen Weston selling bread for $2 will probably clear a solid $100 million just on the wheat to bread spread. Try to convince a white central US grain farmer that he must subsidize a Polynesian Hawaiian welfare recipient for $60K each and every year - and you begin to understand resentment is much much higher than Alberta/Quebec/Ontario will ever be.

America is much more likely to not pay taxes, the country is basically founded on that idea.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 01-06-2017 at 12:47 PM.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

My Ride
    ute

Originally posted by 01RedDX
    What kind of defeatist attitude is that? No better than Americans wanting to move cause of Trump.

The weather? We're back to our normal weather, what's the problem? Ride it out, by the time the economy starts to improve, it'll be election time anyways.
    Canada's problem is more fundamental and structural than one candidate you don't like winning an election.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-23-2020 at 01:32 PM.

Social programs and safety nets result in less labour mobility as the desire and benefit of moving is reduced. Americans move because otherwise they might go hungry. They also work harder than Canadians, but that's another story.
    I won't be as brazen and pretend I know why people move. But I would think the given weather, and the shear number of places to move in the US would be bigger factors. Like really. From Clagary, where would you go? Vancouver? Toronto? Winnipeg?
    Last edited by Gestalt; 01-06-2017 at 12:47 PM.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

I do not recall ever hearing this much complaining about our "fundamental and structural problems" before the leftists got into government here.

Sorry what? Practically every change the liberals want to make are "fundamental" and "structural"

Apparently you've forgotten the disease known as HDS, its still out there and well. The bitching from the left was RIDICULOUS relative to what Harper ACTUALLY did

The graphic was pulled from Saskatchewan site, so that's why it is highlighted.

Equalization payments come from the federal government, and are paid out to each province according to a "formula". So the numbers represent how much of the pie each province is getting.
    Piece of the equalization pie. We receive billions in Federal social and health transfers which total far more than equalization transfer.

If the formula was more lax, so Alberta got some equalization, then so would everyone else.

I guess I don't understand why you are mad.

My Ride
    ute

I do not recall ever hearing this much complaining about our "fundamental and structural problems" before the leftists got into government here.
    then you weren't listening. Canada was broken before The Snowboarder was elected.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast