Quantcast
A career in professional sports? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: A career in professional sports?

Default A career in professional sports?

I've been working in oil and gas for almost 10 years now mainly because that's where I was told I'd make the best money and get the best benefits living in Calgary.

I've loved sports/cars all my life and can never get bored of it. So how hard would it be to get hired on a professional basketball team? If I've been in analyst/accounting roles in my job experience what would stop me from finding something that would have transferable skills for something like the Chicago Bulls?

I know there will be a paycut and I have to factor in many other variables like cost of living in different cities but I think it would be very satisfying.

Anybody know of anyone who has a job in professional sports, how did they start applying, etc? Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

http://careers.nba.com/

Area there for league jobs and team jobs. I want free tickets if someone hires you.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Try the TPG Sports Group. I've heard good things on coaching boards about their events, but I've never been.

TPG Sports Group
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My buddy's uncle was a penalty box time keeper in Montreal, He was able to hook us up with good, free seats that were otherwise like $200. Another friend of a friend worked at the superdome in marketing, and was also able to get us free seats for a bowl game.

I'm sort of in same boat. Made great money over 7.5 years in oil, saved most of it, looking for a job I can actually enjoy now.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

You could talk to a regular photographer that posts on Beyond, Louren (I think that's his username). He has experience in this I believe. Not in photography, but actually working in the business

My Ride
    TL

Working for Bill Belichick is brutal apparently.

"The 20/20 deal," said Patriots tight ends coach Brian Daboll. "Twenty hours a day for 20 grand a year. And it wasn't exactly 20 yet."

http://www.masslive.com/patriots/ind...bileshort_home

Nothing to add, reminds me of:

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Originally posted by dandia89
    Working for Bill Belichick is brutal apparently.

"The 20/20 deal," said Patriots tight ends coach Brian Daboll. "Twenty hours a day for 20 grand a year. And it wasn't exactly 20 yet."

http://www.masslive.com/patriots/ind...bileshort_home
    All NFL-level coaches are like that (I don't know about any other sport). Gruden was known to start his days at 4am.

There's a book called Collision Low Crossers, where a journalist followed the Jets around for an entire season with complete access. He says that the coaching staff never went home before midnight and everyone was back in the office at 5am, assuming they didn't sleep in their office (which Schottenheimer was known to do).

On an NBA team, advance scouts are basically high-school coaches and retirees with time on their hands who like the game enough to sit through games charting plays - which I've heard is not as enjoyable as it sounds.

Basically, most people don't get into the sports side of sports for the money. Most people do it because they want to be involved in the game in some capacity. Sure, there's upside, but those spots are few and far between.

Not sure about placement rates and the experiences of past students, but AU started a Business of Hockey MBA back in 2015.

http://business.athabascau.ca/mba/on...-tuition-fees/

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Pro sports support staff are just regular folk with the required skills. I know a former colleague who works on the IT side of the Flames. He started off with simple desktop support and worked his way up and into other departments.

Find something you like to do, that is in demand with these organizations. Software programming for eg. is a huge market going forward.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Originally posted by revelations
    Pro sports support staff are just regular folk with the required skills. I know a former colleague who works on the IT side of the Flames. He started off with simple desktop support and worked his way up and into other departments.

Find something you like to do, that is in demand with these organizations. Software programming for eg. is a huge market going forward.
    Wish I could do analytics.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

I can do analytics.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.