Quantcast
Hawaii what to do and where to go ? - Page 11 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 10 11

Thread: Hawaii what to do and where to go ?

My Ride
    car2go

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Big Island is a lot different from Kauai. Unless the lava is actively flowing, or you absolutely love coffee, I'd much prefer to go to Kauai as it's much more lush and tropical feeling.

I posted my experience of all the major islands when I went a few years ago here (and the following page):

https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/347...85#post3915585
    Agreed they're very different. I'd say the big island has more variety to offer, but like anything, the level of enjoyment is contingent on what you're into. There are lots of other things that are of interest but weren't in your writeup (e.g. going to the observatory, pololu valley, lava tubes), lava and coffee aren't even really the high points. (Well, Lava would be if you are lucky enough to be there when it's flowing, and if it's flowing at a location easy to get to. I've gone there annually to visit my parents since 2010, and not once have I seen lava. My cousin went to see them once a month after I did, and he walked right up to a lava flow.)

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Very true, visiting the Mauna Kea Observatories would be fantastic.
    Follow me on Instagram and Facebook!

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Went to Kauai and the big island, as well as Oahu for work last year. Had two days on Big Island and an afternoon in Kauai, I must say, for me, the antisocial that i am, the big island was awesome. Felt very empty, rural feel to is, single lane highways, black lava rock on both sides, beautiful beaches. Didn't have enough time to go to the volcano but definitely will visit again. For me I enjoyed the laid back feel the most. Kauai I did the canyon drive, and it's very lush. Also did a beach a bit but the canyon drive, whatever it's called, was the highlight. Only had about 6 hours there, so didn't get much in. If Kauai is a tropical paradise, Big island is like a bare moon. Its a cool contrast. I also spent 7 days in Oahu in Honolulu as that's where our main office is, and it's just a big city really. He stayed at Waikiki beach so it was a short walk to the beach, so was cool, but we had a car so got to drive to north shore, did the old army steps hike, the big volcano hike, was fun, but it's completely different feel from the rest i visited. Overall it was $7800 i think for my portion. Wife came with but I obviously didn't bill my company for her meals. Stayed at $300-$350 per night hotels and meals + car rental on each island + flights there and in between. Just to give you an idea on costs. If i was do it it again on personal funds I would definitely spend less per day.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 10 11