Quantcast
Hawaii what to do and where to go ? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Hawaii what to do and where to go ?

Have you decided on an island yet ganesh?

My Ride
    95B

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    Have you decided on an island yet ganesh?
    From everything I have heard from every one it looks like Big Island is the way to go.
    Now I need to map out what activities we want to do and that will decide how long we want to go for. I am still leaning towards 7 to 10 nights.

My Ride
    '10 Civic

Originally posted by ganesh

From everything I have heard from every one it looks like Big Island is the way to go.
    Now I need to map out what activities we want to do and that will decide how long we want to go for. I am still leaning towards 7 to 10 nights.
    Your daughter would really like the seahorse sanctuary

Some other things:

-Buy your own snorkel sets
    -Lots of great places to snorkel. Almost every big public beach. Just use trip advisor
    -We stayed 4 nights in Kona and 3 in Hilo so we got to see everything we wanted. Not sure if that would work for your family. If not just be prepared for some driving
    -Wake up early!! The sun sets so early and it gets dark fast so get up early and make the most of your time.

Originally posted by ganesh

A must-do in my opinion is head up Mauna Kea, even if it's just to the visitor center (9000ft). At night, they bring out huge telescopes, set them up so you can see plants and other similar things, as well as serve free hot chocolate. If your daughter is into that sort of thing she'll love it. If it's clear you'll also get great views of the stars. If you want to go to the summit (13,000ft) make sure you acclimatize at the visitor center for 15-30 min or so, a lot of people get sick up top, and it makes you pee often (there are port-a-potties). Rental cars don't have insurance past the visitor center, but the road isn't nearly as bad as tour companies trying to sell you tours would have you believe. It's hard packed dirt/gravel, just a bit washboarded from people braking. We did it no problem in a Toyota Camry and signs say "4X4 only" which is not at all necessary. You can tour the observatories/telescopes themselves on the top on certain days.

I recommend you watch the sunset up there, then head down to the visitor center after for some hot chocolate and stargazing.

This was shot from the visitor center just after dark:

And this is what it looks like at the top above the clouds:

Hawaii has some of the best snorkeling because that island has virtually no run-off. The best snorkeling I found was at the Captain Cook Monument (tour required) or Kahaluʻu Beach Park (just south of the airport). Kahalu'u especially was very shallow with easy access, probably OK for a 5 year old if she's able. I suggest renting snorkels instead of buying, because you get good equipment for next to nothing, and you don't have to pack a snorkel, mask, and flippers in your suitcase both ways.

Some other must-sees that you can drive right up to:

- Akaka Falls
    - Waipi'o Valley Lookout
    - Rainbow Falls (in Hilo)

The island is pretty big (all other popular islands can fit inside it) but the roads/freeways are the best of the islands, many of them new, and they can actually cut across the island instead of just having a ring road.

From Kona to Volcano park is under 2 hours, and from Kona to the Mauna Kea visitor center is about an hour.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 01-09-2017 at 03:43 PM.

My Ride
    V8s

A must-do in my opinion is head up Mauna Kea, even if it's just to the visitor center (9000ft). At night, they bring out huge telescopes, set them up so you can see plants and other similar things, as well as serve free hot chocolate. If your daughter is into that sort of thing she'll love it. If it's clear you'll also get great views of the stars. If you want to go to the summit (13,000ft) make sure you acclimatize at the visitor center for 15-30 min or so, a lot of people get sick up top, and it makes you pee often (there are port-a-potties). Rental cars don't have insurance past the visitor center, but the road isn't nearly as bad as tour companies trying to sell you tours would have you believe. It's hard packed dirt/gravel, just a bit washboarded from people braking. We did it no problem in a Toyota Camry and signs say "4X4 only" which is not at all necessary. You can tour the observatories/telescopes themselves on the top on certain days.

I recommend you watch the sunset up there, then head down to the visitor center after for some hot chocolate and stargazing.

This was shot from the visitor center just after dark:

And this is what it looks like at the top above the clouds:

Hawaii has some of the best snorkeling because that island has virtually no run-off. The best snorkeling I found was at the Captain Cook Monument (tour required) or Kahaluʻu Beach Park (just south of the airport). Kahalu'u especially was very shallow with easy access, probably OK for a 5 year old if she's able. I suggest renting snorkels instead of buying, because you get good equipment for next to nothing, and you don't have to pack a snorkel, mask, and flippers in your suitcase both ways.

Some other must-sees that you can drive right up to:

- Akaka Falls
    - Waipi'o Valley Lookout
    - Rainbow Falls (in Hilo)

The island is pretty big (all other popular islands can fit inside it) but the roads/freeways are the best of the islands, many of them new, and they can actually cut across the island instead of just having a ring road.

From Kona to Volcano park is under 2 hours, and from Kona to the Mauna Kea visitor center is about an hour.
    +1 to both of those snorkeling spots. My parents live there, and they always go to Kahaluu or take their boat to Captain Cook. The other spot that's kind of fun to visit is Honokohau small boat harbour. There's actually a good beach there, and usually you can walk down the beach and see 30+ sea turtles relaxing on the sand.

http://www.hiltonwaikoloavillage.com/?WT.srch=1

You can thank me now

This resort would be perfect for you guys. They have a dolphin lagoon where you can do encounters and the best thing is the man made lagoon. Its got a sand shore and the lagoon is loaded with all kinds of fish and large turtles. My wife is not a strong swimmer and she did ok out in the ocean snorkeling but she said she had way more fun in the lagoon. I know its not the same as going out in the ocean but your daughter is too young to be doing that anyways. This place is so massive its got a tram in it to take you around
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

Waikoloa is where we stayed as well. I would recommend staying in the Villas at the Waikoloa Beach Resort though (next to the Hilton but not the Hilton) so you get away from the hordes of people, save some money, and a lot more square footage. It's a good location on the island too, close to the key roads and on the dry side. I think we payed $120 USD/nt for a very well appointed 1,500 sq ft 3 bdrm condo. We walked around the Hilton several times at night (it's nice) but we were glad we weren't staying there. My co-worker just came back from there, she stayed half her trip at the Hilton, the other half in the Villas, and preferred the villas (2 young kids). YMMV though depending what kind of holiday you want as you might like the resort experience - it does have stuff for kids for $$$. The dolphin encounter is crazy expensive and you don't get to do anything cool - it's $350 CAD per person for 30 minutes. That's more than an hour long helicopter tour.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 01-09-2017 at 04:50 PM.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Bumping this, headng to maui tomorrow

- is the bike ride down Haleakala worth it? Watching videos it seems like a bit of a tourist trap and no one is even going fast. If we do it, think we'll rent our own bikes and get our own shuttle so we can do it from the true top.

- any must-go-food spots? Particularly cheap-eats (im gonna go on a fish taco binge)

Originally posted by Brent.ff

- is the bike ride down Haleakala worth it? Watching videos it seems like a bit of a tourist trap and no one is even going fast. If we do it, think we'll rent our own bikes and get our own shuttle so we can do it from the true top.

- any must-go-food spots? Particularly cheap-eats (im gonna go on a fish taco binge)
    I haven't' done it but I've seen hundreds of people do it - doesn't look fun to me. You go slow in a huge pack and have to be very careful of all the dumb tourists who don't know what is going on driving on that skinny road. If you do it, bring layers - it's cold at the top but you will want to shed them on the way down.

In Lahaina we ate at "down the hatch" a lot, they had really good half price appetizers & beer before 7pm or something super reasonable like that. Cool atmosphere too. Captain Jacks next door is good for pub food and also had a lot of specials. I wouldn't go out of my way to eat there but if you're near Lahaina they were our go-to spots. Sushi was outrageously expensive in Lahaina, easily $150+ CAD for 2 people so we didn't have any Maui is by far the most expensive island.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

We drove up the volcano... it would be a hell of a ride down on a bicycle... I'd do it

Cheap eats?! Uhhhh... maybe some Hawaiian BBQ? Like the fast food style? It's awesome (mmm... Korean style short ribs) but yeah, cheap and Maui do not mix... there is some parking lot BBQ chicken, which smelled awesome but when we went to actually try and eat it they weren't working that day... grocery store poke is usually solid though

What part of the island are you staying on? Good to know before recommending an hour long drive for food

If you want one baller, lifetime memory kind of meal... momma's fish house is a must

If you're down in Kihei, it's kinda "meh" but not bad... is cow pig bun, only reason I have even mentioned it though is cause Maui brewing co. Is across the street, lunch then brewery tour is a great way to spend an afternoon... after the tour you can sample the many, many beers they have and play board games... they don't have food, but they did have a truck parked out front when we were there

Would recommend cuatro in Kihei though, it's byob but same parking lot as the foodland, grab a couple bottles of wine and enjoy the amazing food and intimate setting with friendly owner/operator staff

My Ride
    '14 Taco

I haven't' done it but I've seen hundreds of people do it - doesn't look fun to me. You go slow in a huge pack and have to be very careful of all the dumb tourists who don't know what is going on driving on that skinny road. If you do it, bring layers - it's cold at the top but you will want to shed them on the way down.

Ya thats why i don't want to do the guided group...feel like i'd be blowing by them all day. Was reading an article and they averaged 24 mph...which is brutally slow on a bike on a hill like that..

By cheap eats was talking more the lunch shacks and such, but thanks for the reccs. Doubt we'll be going out much for dinners. we'll be in Kihei

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Bike ride down was fun to cruise down, but nothing too exciting. Bikes are single speed, so you can't really get going too fast, and you have to watch out for the terrible drivers going up the hill. So if you're into down hill mountain biking this probably won't be fun for you.

Can't remember who we used, but it wasn't a "tour group" thing like Mitsu said. I mean you get dropped off as a group at the top, but you don't need to stick with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

Ya thats why i don't want to do the guided group...feel like i'd be blowing by them all day. Was reading an article and they averaged 24 mph...which is brutally slow on a bike on a hill like that..

By cheap eats was talking more the lunch shacks and such, but thanks for the reccs. Doubt we'll be going out much for dinners. we'll be in Kihei
    Just watch out for the cars if you do it, and dress in layers.

The tour groups take you up in huge vans with trailers for the bikes, and then unleash you all at the same time in a huge pack of people who can barely ride a bike. I imagine it's better on your own, but really be careful for drivers - none of them are watching the road because the scenery is so nice.

Kihei has awesome Mexican/Thai food - it shouldn't be hard to find and it's cheap. I don't recall any fish taco places though. When we were in Kehei we walked to every place we ate and it was all good & cheap.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 04-13-2017 at 10:41 AM.

Biking downhill is dumb and just a tourist trap. I don't understand the appeal of it at all. Just a bunch of tourists getting the thrill of cruising down a hill without pedaling. The only objective is to not be killed by the drivers coming up the hill (nothing but sharp turns) or falling off the mountain. You can glide down a big hill anywhere you want. Why would you spend the time and money to do it in Maui?

The only spectacular meal I had in Maui was Geste Shrimp. It's a food truck near the airport. Hands down the best shrimp I've ever had.

If you're looking for cheap & local just hit up the poke bar at Costco.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

That parking lot chicken is just up (nw-ish?) from Kihei, it's a lunch thing... mid week I think

The "number one poke" on the island is a food truck right in the heart of everything down there (behind the surf board rental shack)

The breakfast place beside the surf board place is solid too.. but will have a line

Life's a beach is a pretty sketchy dive bar, but probably the cheapest food and drinks.. would probably keep it to day time only... for sure drug sales coming out of that place with interesting clientele once the sun sets

Fat daddy's was some pretty solid BBQ (like southern style, not Hawaiian)

South shore tiki lounge had really good pizza...

It's not a super big place so you'll probably have a chance to eat most things

There is honestly very marginal savings in cooking your own food there, unless you are catching your own fish or something

Yelp is king though, super helpful

How many of you guys going to Hawaii purposely take a long layover at YVR? I always try to book a flight with 7 or 8 hours in Van. More than enough time to hit up anywhere you want to get some awesome sushi/ramen/dim sum. Breaks up the long flight nicely and its like 2 trips for the price of 1.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by Manhattan
    How many of you guys going to Hawaii purposely take a long layover at YVR? I always try to book a flight with 7 or 8 hours in Van. More than enough time to hit up anywhere you want to get some awesome sushi/ramen/dim sum. Breaks up the long flight nicely and its like 2 trips for the price of 1.
    If you have the time a two day layover in LA would be awesome... or using Hawaii as the layover for say Australia... talking to aussies last year in Oahu it sounds like booking two separate flights with x amount of days in Hawaii in between is cheaper than booking a flight from here straight to aus

^
    Awesome. Never considered Australia via Hawaii. Will definitely give it a look.

I prefer the YVR layover since Westjet usually has the cheapest flights to Hawaii and that's where it connects. The skytrain is also a big plus on a layover since it gets you just about anywhere you need in 30 min vs. dealing with a car rental and traffic in LA.

I took a three day layover in Honolulu on my way to NZ. Worked out great.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Just got back in from Maui, for food if you want cheaper produce hit up the farmers market on the college campus on Saturday, Sunday has 50% off sushi at sansei in Kihei but you have to line up about an hour in advance for a table.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast