Quantcast
Hawaii what to do and where to go ? - Page 23 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13 22 23

Thread: Hawaii what to do and where to go ?

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

What kind of accommodation are you looking at? Hotel or airbnb/vrbo? The south side of Kauai is generally dryer than the north, the island is getting a ton of rain right now at the moment.

We generally go during winter so I've only been in Dec/Jan/Feb so I can't attest what the weather is like during spring, that being said we've lucked out and had great weather on our prior trips there.

Adults only or are kids going?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Looking like May, big family trip with my wife’s Nova Scotia family. Accommodations tbd.

So yes kids, but with built in childcare.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    rally pig

South side, Poipu area is the kid friendly beach zone.
    Princeville is a good clean community on the north side with a good golf course. Hanalei is a nice quaint town.
    I think you cant drive to Halena State Park anymore where the Na Pali hike starts and it might be a lottery to buy passes for the hike now but the first 2 mile hike IMO is worth it if you are into hiking.
    Drive up to Waimean canyon and maybe hike there too.
    Helicopter tour of the island so that you can see the Na Pali Coast.

we did zipline and water tubing up in the princeville area, not sure if still there.

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

If there's kids and you want to be around civilization of sorts then Poipu is prob the best area. Princeville is condos and golf, Hanalei is a super chill tiny little town with a nice beach/shops/restaurants, Kapa'a has lots of restaurants and shops, very busy in general.

Kauai is tiny so you're left with single lane traffic around the island, avoid driving through Kapaa around rush hour as it is terrible to deal with, folks heading home from work, people going out for dinner or from the beach, pedestrians crossing the streets, it's a pain in the ass.

If you're interested in going to Haena state park the parking passes go on sale 30 days in advance and sell out immediately, the parking passes anyway, it's $5/person and $10 for a parking pass. Otherwise there's a park and ride option closer to the park I believe, have to have the pass and take a shuttle from the pick up zone.

We've done a catamaran tour to the Na Pali coast which was great, doors off helicopter tour which was amazing but $$$, did the "safari" rum tour which was actually a great time...adults only I'm pretty sure and got to try all the rums from Koloa rum while getting driven around their plantation.

Kauai coffee co has tours I believe, keep meaning to check it out some time.

Hanalei has a farmers market every Saturday morning, we went last year and it wasn't that great at years prior mainly due to covid restrictions at the time. Not very many vendors and pricing was not great.

Anaina Hou Community Park farmers market is Saturday morning and was very good last year, better pricing and lots more vendors. We go mainly for fruit. Pretty sure there's a park for kids there as well.

I'm going to guess Kauai is like Maui, rentals book up way early in advance due to the size of the island so take that into account if you're thinking of going the airbnb/vrbo route, lots of the good rentals book up a year in advance.

There's a costco and walmart in Lihue, we generally stock up there or the Safeway in Kapaa as we stay more on the north side by Zuckerbergs compound.

For car rentals we use discount hawaii car rentals and check frequently for any deals/discounts. Book and cancel without issue if a lower price comes up.

TikTok mentioned the chickens, yes there are chickens everywhere, be prepared for roosters going off first thing in the morning unless you're in a big hotel. Never had a problem with chickens on the beach but you'll see them.

As far as what to expect, it's paradise with a Costco to me, insanely beautiful there. Everyone is on island life to the max so just go with the flow. There is great hikes on the island, some nicer beaches than others, good food and shave ice, depends on what you're looking to get up to and area you're staying for more direct input.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Cool. Thanks
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Wristshots

Kauai is probably my favourite of the islands. Some great beta from 2L2Q.

Jojo’s has great shave ice, and Da Crack is one of the best holes in wall for tacos. Brennecke’s and Merriman’s are great for a seated meal, and there are some nice upscale places as well. The Dolphin used to be great, but it was not as good the last time we went.

If you’re into snorkeling or scuba, a trip to the water around Niihau would be worthwhile.

EDIT: Sleeping Giant Grill is another great place for a quick bite.
    Last edited by statick; 02-22-2023 at 11:11 AM.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Best things we did in Kauai were helicopter tour and hike

Name:  550FB604-8826-4B72-9AEC-370188B53ED2.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  334.8 KB
    Name:  523EA51F-263E-4079-8FDB-AF9FF8C86DBC.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  416.7 KB

Beautiful but kind of small and boring island though. The surf and snorkelling weren’t great and we ran out of things to do after 5 days.

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13 22 23