Quantcast
Hawaii what to do and where to go ? - Page 10 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Hawaii what to do and where to go ?

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Quote Originally Posted by nismodrifter View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Booked our trip to Maui in early April. Staying in Wailea @ the Marriot. Can't wait.
    If you want good BBQ, check out this place. Not far from where you are staying.
    Name:  CE19B677-7403-48EF-BA07-34F0E71AB59C.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  63.5 KB

For the best food experience in Maui, be sure to make resos at Mama’s Fish House.
    Name:  22A0BBCA-52BB-469B-87A6-6A491F542381.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  84.8 KB

We should start a Hawaii humble brags thread to match the Vegas one.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Got back from Honolulu yesterday. Had a good time.

The good:

Weather was pretty standard Hawaii weather for our trip. Mostly sunny every day, very light shower in the afternoon sometimes. Beaches were great. Nothing to crowded. Waikiki area was awesome. Did the north shore area a few times, random beaches and snorkeling with lots of sea life.
    Food was always great. Best prime rib of my life at the Chart House! Dukes Hula Pie was good. The Hard Rock has a really good mud pie brownie dessert thing that was also really good. We had VRBO accomodations, big house with a pool tho we didn't really use the pool that much. I had Turo'd a Jaguar F-Type. Sweet fucking ride. The rental went very smoothly and will definitely do it again. There were people taking pics of me and the car everywhere I went lol. It was very strange. Stumbled upon Hawaii Five-0 filming which was neat. Also got to watch some idiot run his really little sailboat aground out front of Waikiki. He tried to bail it out for a bit, other vessels were trying to help but he abandoned it and it sunk. There was only a little bit of the mast visible above the surface after. I enjoyed Pearl Harbour but I'm somewhat interested in naval history. My gf isn't so I basically drug her around with me there. I'd like to go back again myself. We were there for about 5 hours but I still felt very rushed to do everything - the Arizona memorial, Missouri battleship, Bowfin submarine, Aviation museum. I think you need an entire day there to really take it all in.

The bad:

Wtf is with the roads there? There is like no maintaining them or very shitty upkeep at best. I had to dodge potholes like crazy. They were huge too. Car-eaters like the ones in Edmonton. Trying to find a place to park was always an adventure. We almost always took Uber from our VRBO to Waikiki for dinner because parking sucks.

The ugly:

The traffic. I found the freeways to be a perpetual traffic jam. Any time of the day, traffic was jammed. The northshore roads reminded me of BC where traffic is backed up behind a slow poke for a long time before a passing lane is available. Traffic is fucking nuts there.

Overall it was a great time. I've now been to Maui and Oahu. I'll probably do Kauai next.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    Faux X 4 Mall Crawler

The fiancé and I are getting married in about a years time in Maui. I’ve been probably a dozen times, but I’m putting together a page for all my friends and family who haven’t been. A couple things I am wondering:

-outside of the road to Hana, and breakdown of some must do things on the way? (Besides the 7 pools)
    -any recommendations for fishing off a boat?
    -Maui dive shop the best option to go diving?
    -any specific areas to avoid if people aren’t staying at the same location as we are?
    -what companies do open door helicopter rides?

Truth be told I’ve never thought of the above because I do a lot of the same stuff in Maui, and none of it is very touristy. Now I want to make sure any friends and family don’t get screwed.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Quote Originally Posted by finboy View Post
    The fiancé and I are getting married in about a years time in Maui. I’ve been probably a dozen times, but I’m putting together a page for all my friends and family who haven’t been. A couple things I am wondering:

-outside of the road to Hana, and breakdown of some must do things on the way? (Besides the 7 pools)
    -any specific areas to avoid if people aren’t staying at the same location as we are?

Truth be told I’ve never thought of the above because I do a lot of the same stuff in Maui, and none of it is very touristy. Now I want to make sure any friends and family don’t get screwed.
    https://www.mauidiveshop.com
    For dive tours & fishing

https://www.bluehawaiian.com/maui/tours
    For helicopter tours

My Ride
    GSR

Heading to Hawaii next week and I'll be in Maui/Honolulu during the Masters and a few Flames playoff games. Long shot for the Flames but any good bars that would be playing hockey? I'm assuming it'll be easy to find the Masters.

Air Maui and Pacific Helicopters are the only 2 companies I know of doing doors-off in Maui. Save your money for Kauai if you want to do a helicopter tour though - Maui is pretty average in comparison from a helicopter standpoint and it's ~30% shorter duration and way more expensive just because it's Maui. You're looking at ~$450 CAD for 45 minutes or less. Look up their safety records on the NTSB, I haven't personally used either company. Blue Hawaiian is even more expensive ($~500 CAD), and they don't even do doors off - you're paying for their EcoStars and if you get one of the 2 middle-back seats (you don't get to pick) you will see nothing. You don't want a helicopter with windows unless you want to look at everyone's reflections and not take pictures - they are quieter and more comfortable though.

I dove with this company in Maui a few times:

https://www.lahainadivers.com/

I think the "Maui Reveaed" guide book has them as the top pick. We did shore dives and a Molokini crater dive. The crater in general is a giant tourist trap, crowded, and just about everything is dead from suncreen and tourists stomping on the coral, not worth it IMHO. You could hear the whales under the water which was neat but not worth the price of admission.

The dives were OK, nothing special. Hawaii diving in general just isn't very good to be honest, and it's ridiculously expensive for short dives. I've done dives on Maui, Kauai and Hawaii - I probably wont do it again.

Spend your money on whale tours and look no further than Captain Steve's - I tried 4 different companies with 4 different craft, and he was *by far* the best in all aspects, and cheap: https://captainsteves.com/

I've only done deep sea fishing on Hawaii, so I can't help you there for Maui. It's very expensive but the way to go is get a group together and charter a whole boat for the day. If anyone is easily sea sick, warn them - remember that only a little ways off shore it's like 3000ft deep and you're basically in the middle of the ocean.

Honestly just follow this book for the Road to Hana and you won't miss a thing: https://www.amazon.ca/Maui-Revealed-...gateway&sr=8-1

My 2 favorite things to do on Maui by far are hiking the Haleakala crater (don't bother going up for a sunrise, and you have to book it now too I think), and whale watching every morning.

This also makes for a good full day adventure if people are looking for something to do: https://sailtrilogy.com/tour/discover-lanai
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 04-03-2019 at 10:00 AM.

My Ride
    Faux X 4 Mall Crawler

Awesome,thanks for all the input. My fiancé wants to do Kauai, we likely will on the next trip when we have to play tour guide less.

I hear you on Molokini, I ended up with a free trip last time and it was such a waste of time. Normally I hit up ulua with way better luck, and less people early in the morning.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Road to Hana: There's also GPS guided audio apps available for purchase. If you're renting low end cars, make sure you bring an aux cable lol.
    The low end cars there (2 of 2 times I've been) is Nissan and the bluetooth on them is for phone only.

My Ride
    Wristshots

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post

I think the "Maui Reveaed" guide book has them as the top pick. We did shore dives and a Molokini crater dive. The crater in general is a giant tourist trap, crowded, and just about everything is dead from suncreen and tourists stomping on the coral, not worth it IMHO. You could hear the whales under the water which was neat but not worth the price of admission.

The dives were OK, nothing special. Hawaii diving in general just isn't very good to be honest, and it's ridiculously expensive for short dives. I've done dives on Maui, Kauai and Hawaii - I probably wont do it again.
    Agreed with both of you gentlemen, the Molokini Crater is a waste of time. But I definitely wouldn't say the same for the Molokini Backwall; this site doesn't get much tourist traffic, and the drop is pretty deep, so you can see some interesting fauna. I know Maui Dive Shop and Ed Robinson's both offer this - I've dived with them and can't say anything bad...
    https://www.mauidiveshop.com/Maui-Di...-adventure.htm
    https://www.mauiscuba.com/scuba/

I've dived with Lahaina Divers a couple of time as well, though I've not been able to go on their Hammerhead charter (I'm never around at the right time of year), but I hear good things. They run a bit of a cattle-boat, but I'd have no hesitation in diving with them, despite the incident in late 2016. I've done the trip over to Lanai Cathedrals, I'd say it is worthwhile...
    https://www.lahainadivers.com/scuba-charters/dive-lanai
    https://www.lahainadivers.com/scuba-...ive-hammerhead

Awesome,thanks for all the input. My fiancé wants to do Kauai, we likely will on the next trip when we have to play tour guide less.

I hear you on Molokini, I ended up with a free trip last time and it was such a waste of time. Normally I hit up ulua with way better luck, and less people early in the morning.
    Kauai is actually our favourite island of the four major ones. It's much more laid back with great hiking, nice beaches and pretty solid diving, if you hit the right spots (but on diving alone, it may not be the best). As you're a diver, try to go to Kauai between June and September, that way you can dive over at Ni'ihau.

If any of your guests are not certified for diving but want to try it, Tim Rollo is very good with beginners, though it will be a shore dive...
    http://www.tinybubblesscuba.com/intr...ry-scuba-dive/

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Air Maui and Pacific Helicopters are the only 2 companies I know of doing doors-off in Maui. Save your money for Kauai if you want to do a helicopter tour though - Maui is pretty average in comparison from a helicopter standpoint and it's ~30% shorter duration and way more expensive just because it's Maui. You're looking at ~$450 CAD for 45 minutes or less. Look up their safety records on the NTSB, I haven't personally used either company. Blue Hawaiian is even more expensive ($~500 CAD), and they don't even do doors off - you're paying for their EcoStars and if you get one of the 2 middle-back seats (you don't get to pick) you will see nothing. You don't want a helicopter with windows unless you want to look at everyone's reflections and not take pictures - they are quieter and more comfortable though.

Spend your money on whale tours and look no further than Captain Steve's - I tried 4 different companies with 4 different craft, and he was *by far* the best in all aspects, and cheap: https://captainsteves.com/

I've only done deep sea fishing on Hawaii, so I can't help you there for Maui. It's very expensive but the way to go is get a group together and charter a whole boat for the day. If anyone is easily sea sick, warn them - remember that only a little ways off shore it's like 3000ft deep and you're basically in the middle of the ocean.

Honestly just follow this book for the Road to Hana and you won't miss a thing: https://www.amazon.ca/Maui-Revealed-...gateway&sr=8-1

My 2 favorite things to do on Maui by far are hiking the Haleakala crater (don't bother going up for a sunrise, and you have to book it now too I think), and whale watching every morning.

This also makes for a good full day adventure if people are looking for something to do: https://sailtrilogy.com/tour/discover-lanai
    I’ve flown with Blue Hawaiian and sat in the middle back seat and could see everything perfectly.
    Was amazing views and the helicopters were amazing!

Name:  CCE5192A-397A-4FC3-943B-21227768E6D1.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  38.9 KB
    Name:  AE1B80C4-8608-4BB7-944F-02B741765995.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  64.7 KB
    Last edited by 89coupe; 04-04-2019 at 06:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    I’ve flown with Blue Hawaiian and sat in the middle back seat and could see everything perfectly.
    Was amazing views and the helicopters were amazing!
    Your sample photo has really bad reflections and uneven contrast, which is exactly what I am getting at with regards to taking photos. Exposed skin and bright/light clothing are the worst things you can wear on those tours for that reason. Curved windows are about the last thing you want to take a photo through if you care about the result. If you're doing it for the photography aspect, your only option is doors off. If you aren't picky about the view you get, don't care too much about photos, and just want a quiet comfortable ride, the EcoStar is designed for that.

This is the seating in the Eco Star - if you are in either of the two back middle it's literally impossible to see out without looking past someone else or leaning over their lap for a proper photo - I've been in both aircraft types and it sucks. The side seats are much, much better but every seat costs the same. If you don't care, that's great, but people should know what they're getting into for that kind of money.

Name:  ___6386105_orig.gif
Views: 371
Size:  23.9 KB

In the doors-off Hughes 500, everyone gets an open window seat except front-middle, who gets essentially the same view as the pilot which is the next best thing but still not good for photos. If you are there just to enjoy with your eyes, it is the best seat in the house (same in an EcoStar front middle). The only other thing to worry about is what direction the helicopter flies around the island - as much as they tell you it's not the case, one side gets the best view about 75% of the time. For example if it flies clockwise around the island you want a right hand seat unless you want to look at the ocean or lean over someone's lap the entire time.

This is what it looks like from the front-middle seat of a Hughes 500, where the smallest/lightest person will be positioned, and then everyone else gets an open window to themselves. You can also see in the bottom corner of that photo how much clearer it is not shooting through the glass.

Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 04-04-2019 at 10:29 AM.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Your sample photo has really bad reflections and uneven contrast, which is exactly what I am getting at with regards to taking photos. Exposed skin and bright/light clothing are the worst things you can wear on those tours for that reason. Curved windows are about the last thing you want to take a photo through if you care about the result. If you're doing it for the photography aspect, your only option is doors off. If you aren't picky about the view you get, don't care too much about photos, and just want a quiet comfortable ride, the EcoStar is designed for that.

This is the seating in the Eco Star - if you are in either of the two back middle it's literally impossible to see out without looking past someone else or leaning over their lap for a proper photo - I've been in both aircraft types and it sucks. The side seats are much, much better but every seat costs the same. If you don't care, that's great, but people should know what they're getting into for that kind of money.

Name:  ___6386105_orig.gif
Views: 371
Size:  23.9 KB

In the doors-off Hughes 500, everyone gets an open window seat except front-middle, who gets essentially the same view as the pilot which is the next best thing but still not good for photos. If you are there just to enjoy with your eyes, it is the best seat in the house (same in an EcoStar front middle). The only other thing to worry about is what direction the helicopter flies around the island - as much as they tell you it's not the case, one side gets the best view about 75% of the time. For example if it flies clockwise around the island you want a right hand seat unless you want to look at the ocean or lean over someone's lap the entire time.

This is what it looks like from the front-middle seat of a Hughes 500, where the smallest/lightest person will be positioned, and then everyone else gets an open window to themselves. You can also see in the bottom corner of that photo how much clearer it is not shooting through the glass.

I doubt that 99% of the people going care about what the photos will look like, I was the only person even taking photos and I was just using my phone lol.

But as for actual view, amazing! Unobstructed, perfect!

On our trip the biggest guy was actually in the front. 3 up front, 4 in the back.

I doubt that 99% of the people going care about what the photos will look like, I was the only person even taking photos and I was just using my phone lol.

But as for actual view, amazing! Unobstructed, perfect!

On our trip the biggest guy was actually in the front. 3 up front, 4 in the back.
    Most helicopter companies have packages specifically for photographers/videographers, and that is a big reason doors-off is offered. They also advertise specifically to photographers/videographers - it's more common than you think. I've been 4 times now and I was never the only person with a camera. Film/documentary companies hire them as well.

Your own sample shows your view was obstructed haha, but you obviously don't care which is 100% fine. It's a cool experience either way.

They seat you based on weight, so in an EcoStar and A-Star (the other helicopter many of the companies use) there are fewer seats in the front so heavier people will go up front. In the Hughes 500 there are fewer seats in the rear so the heavier people go in the back.

Blue Hawaiian generally caters to the older crowd that wants a quiet, comfortable ride first and a viewing/photographic/thrilling experience second. Nothing wrong with that, it's just a different value proposition - it's also quite a bit more expensive.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 04-04-2019 at 03:43 PM.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Who are you guys using for car rentals in Maui? Any go to companies for better deals? I need to book soon.

Who are you guys using for car rentals in Maui? Any go to companies for better deals? I need to book soon.
    The best deal is different literally every single time, just got to shop it around. Last time a travel agent was by far the cheapest, all previous times web deals were cheapest. Costco.com is sometimes the cheapest even after USD conversion. Takes 5 minutes but you just need to check about a dozen spots. That's what we always do anyway - it's never the same.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Turo yo, Rent a sick car for the same price as those gay mustangs

Got a yellow c6 vette for $89/day on Oahu.

Pretty sure he travels with kids and the maximum speed limit on Maui is only 50 MPH, mostly undivided highways, with tourists absolutely everywhere going far slower than that. You wouldn't even be able to safely complete the full road to Hana loop in a vette.

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

For anyone on here that's been to Kauai and big island Hawaii, just wondering the contrast in difference as far as overall feel, amount of people, any strong likes/dislikes, your general opinion of the 2 islands.

Went to Kauai again earlier this year in February for 2 weeks before Covid lockdowns went full tilt, exploring vacations ideas for next winter since the early bird gets the worm with good rentals, and have begun looking into big island.

Super love Kauai to say the least, been twice now, will go many time again. Have been to Oahu but didn't care for it outside of the north shore.

Looking at big island because it would be something new but also have fear of being remorseful and end up wishing we had just gone to Kauai.

Would be going for 2 weeks, renting a house or cottage off VRBO, hate big crowds and prefer to stay out of town for the sake of privacy/quietness.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

The Big Island is a lot different from Kauai. Unless the lava is actively flowing, or you absolutely love coffee, I'd much prefer to go to Kauai as it's much more lush and tropical feeling.

I posted my experience of all the major islands when I went a few years ago here (and the following page):

https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/347...85#post3915585
    Last edited by msommers; 12-29-2020 at 12:53 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 20 ... LastLast