Quantcast
Carbon tax rebate - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Carbon tax rebate

Default Carbon tax rebate

The NDP claims that 2/3 of Albertans will benefit from the carbon tax due to rebates.

I'm not sure that I could be more blunt on this whole scamola, but I'm thinking that the minuscule rebate doesn't even come close to the extra costs on just about everything that those peasants (us) will pay.

My Ride
    G6

Yeah, but now we're climate leaders idiot!

My Ride
    ute

I'm not for greater taxes, but if we do need a hike, I'd take a faux sales tax like this over an adjustment to our income taxes - as I'm sure most here would agree.

With the oil price this low, it's basically cut services or introduce a sales tax. I'd be ok with a temporary tax that gets reduced as the oil price goes up.

What pisses me off, is the carbon tax lies that the NDP spews, and how people eat it up.

Whoo, beer and popcorn for me.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

My Ride
    G37X

I'm curious to know how accurate this "2/3 benefit" figure is

My Ride

Originally posted by Hallowed_point
    I'm curious to know how accurate this "2/3 benefit" figure is
    From my understanding, is that 2 out of 3 households will receive some sort of rebate. Not 2 out of 3 people.

The way they worded it is scammy.

My Ride
    Silverado

Originally posted by Buster
    I'm not for greater taxes, but if we do need a hike, I'd take a faux sales tax like this over an adjustment to our income taxes - as I'm sure most here would agree.
    Why not a real sales tax? at least it's transparent that way.

Default Re: Carbon tax rebate

Originally posted by Seth1968
    The NDP claims that 2/3 of Albertans will benefit
    "Benefit" an advantage or profit gained from something. Not quite profiting... unless you count NDP.

"Rebate" a PARTIAL refund to someone who has paid too much money for tax, rent, or a utility.

Closer to the truth

Originally posted by Abeo
    The way they worded it is scammy.
    The whole thing is a scam.
    Creates more civil servant jobs to collect and then re-distribute to people.
    Or they could just not collect it in the first place and everyone would save more.

Not even going towards renewable energy projects... Typical.

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

Originally posted by dirtsniffer

Why not a real sales tax? at least it's transparent that way.
    Politics. It's easier to play the environment card with other provinces and nations when it's a carbon tax instead of a sales tax. It's also easier to deal with the federal carbon tax plan. We will tax carbon at a rate 681 times higher than California.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

The carbon tax was coming either way. It didn't matter if the NDP were in power or the conservatives. Part of the Paris climate agreement Canada signed on is that all of Canada will have carbon taxes. The federal government left it up to the provinces to determine how they wanted to implement them, which the NDP did.

It was coming either way and I think they introduced a good system of giving credits to lower income families to offset the cost. Even if lower income families end up paying a bit more, it was inevitable either way regardless of what government is in charge.

The other reality is the rest of the world has a negative stigma towards Alberta's oil. If at the end of the day you pay the same amount as a sales tax or as a carbon tax, wouldn't you rather something that may help shift our image to a more positive light, even if its fluffy BS.

Leaves room to add a sales tax too. Duh.
    But that'll be next yr.

Maybe we could use the money to build a wall.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by pheoxs
    The carbon tax was coming either way. It didn't matter if the NDP were in power or the conservatives. Part of the Paris climate agreement Canada signed on is that all of Canada will have carbon taxes. The federal government left it up to the provinces to determine how they wanted to implement them, which the NDP did.

It was coming either way and I think they introduced a good system of giving credits to lower income families to offset the cost. Even if lower income families end up paying a bit more, it was inevitable either way regardless of what government is in charge.

The other reality is the rest of the world has a negative stigma towards Alberta's oil. If at the end of the day you pay the same amount as a sales tax or as a carbon tax, wouldn't you rather something that may help shift our image to a more positive light, even if its fluffy BS.
    Giving rebates to 65% of households won't give them any incentives to change their behavior and lower emissions. Instead they are going to try and get 35% of households to make all the reductions while subsidizing what is essentially vote buying.

If they were serious about getting people to become more sustainable and reduce emissions, then there would be no rebates.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

I'd be happy if they tossed all the carbon tax money into 100% revamp of Ctrain system.
    Get it up and running like London, UK. Proper charge systems make it profitable with increased user base due to better useability. Use profit to pay back to carbon tax loan.

Move all buses to natural gas which should have been done ages ago.
    Sell current busses to some unsuspecting country to offset some costs. Sort of like how Canada gets shafted buying used Military equipment.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Originally posted by FraserB

Giving rebates to 65% of households won't give them any incentives to change their behavior and lower emissions. Instead they are going to try and get 35% of households to make all the reductions while subsidizing what is essentially vote buying.

If they were serious about getting people to become more sustainable and reduce emissions, then there would be no rebates.
    Yes it will. If the tax was bring all your receipts and we give you your money back, then no, households getting a rebate would have no incentive to change their behavior.

But the rebate is a fixed amount and the tax is based on consumption, so its in the best interest of all households, rebates or not, to lower consumption and save money.

A lower income household making the decision to buy a more fuel efficient vehicle, reduce their home heating, or other consumption reductions still benefits them which is what this tax is meant to do.

Yep. Lies and vote buying.

Too many people don't have a clue about this charade. They'll get their cheque and say, "Wow!, free money. I support the NDP".

Originally posted by pheoxs
    A lower income household making the decision to buy a more fuel efficient vehicle, reduce their home heating, or other consumption reductions still benefits them which is what this tax is meant to do.
    Not that any of that will make an iota of difference in CO2 emissions, but in addition, people were already doing such things before this farce.

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

Giving rebates to 65% of households won't give them any incentives to change their behavior and lower emissions.
    I think there is still an incentive to reduce emissions even if you are getting a rebate right? The rebate is based on income, not CO2 generated. So you get the same rebate either way, but lower income households can still affect the other side of the equation by changing behaviors to pay less carbon tax.

My Ride
    FJC, S30

Yay! I get to pay more personal and business... maybe I should work less and get payouts?
    Submaker.Illest.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast