Quantcast
Carbon tax rebate - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Carbon tax rebate

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by pheoxs
    The carbon tax was coming either way. It didn't matter if the NDP were in power or the conservatives. Part of the Paris climate agreement Canada signed on is that all of Canada will have carbon taxes. The federal government left it up to the provinces to determine how they wanted to implement them, which the NDP did.

It was coming either way and I think they introduced a good system of giving credits to lower income families to offset the cost. Even if lower income families end up paying a bit more, it was inevitable either way regardless of what government is in charge.

The other reality is the rest of the world has a negative stigma towards Alberta's oil. If at the end of the day you pay the same amount as a sales tax or as a carbon tax, wouldn't you rather something that may help shift our image to a more positive light, even if its fluffy BS.
    False economy. Your theory is great, but the reality is the opposite. We should get maximum value for our resources while we still can.

In addition, we did NOT have to have a carbon tax this year. I believe next year is when the feds mandated it (or even 2020). So no, there was no need to implement it now, and no, it won't change anything except take money out of our pocket.

Realistically though, I never did think of it that way; other provinces are getting hit with a CT after most already have a 10% PST Fuck this country Gotta get to Texas...

Originally posted by Abeo

From my understanding, is that 2 out of 3 households will receive some sort of rebate. Not 2 out of 3 people.

The way they worded it is scammy.
    They word it as 60% of households will receive the FULL rebate, an additional percentage get a partial rebate (https://www.alberta.ca/climate-carbon-pricing.aspx). The bar for the rebate is set way too high IMO, but certainly agree with Buster, Id take sales/carbon tax over an income tax hike any day of the week, would have been nice if they did what BC did and dropped income tax rates to make it revenue neutral.

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Realistically though, I never did think of it that way; other provinces are getting hit with a CT after most already have a 10% PST Fuck this country Gotta get to Texas...
    Texas also has a sales tax.

Originally posted by That.Guy.S30
    Yay! I get to pay more personal and business... maybe I shouldn't work and get more payouts?
    FIXED.
    Why work? You deserve better. Government will pay for your life of leisure.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by JustinL

*sigh* Context dude. Freedom and less overall taxation. Sorry if that wasn't clear...

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

*sigh* Context dude. Freedom and less overall taxation. Sorry if that wasn't clear...
    Was not clear, thanks for the apology. Are you actually moving or is this an arms folded, feet stomping exercise?

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Was not clear, thanks for the apology. Are you actually moving or is this an arms folded, feet stomping exercise?
    Feet stomping. Haven't we met in person?

I'd love to move out of the country. Canada overall is a great place... its just tough to go from "awesome" to "ok". Once you've had the best, its tough to go back. I don't like the direction this country is heading at all. So many european ex-pats I've talked to (tons in the racing community) all say the same thing; Canadians have freedom that europeans wish they could have. But that is slowly going away.

Hell, you get the same thing from Ontarioans/Torontonians if they come out here. The nanny-state is suffocating.

According to https://www.alberta.ca/climate-carbon-pricing.aspx
    Max. Rebate = $420
    So even if you qualify for the full rebate it wont make a dent in the increased costs.

I want to know how much is lost in collection and redistribution.

Might want to check out Texas's state income tax rate, champ.

Originally posted by pheoxs
    The carbon tax was coming either way. It didn't matter if the NDP were in power or the conservatives. Part of the Paris climate agreement Canada signed on is that all of Canada will have carbon taxes. The federal government left it up to the provinces to determine how they wanted to implement them, which the NDP did.
    Uh, what the fuck are you jabbering about now?

Alberta did have a carbon tax that the PCs put in. The NDP simply expanded the levy to everyone.

There was also nothing in the Paris Accord about Canada having to implement a carbon tax. That is simply the Liberals' doing.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-17-2019 at 04:00 PM.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Originally posted by suntan
    Uh, what the fuck are you jabbering about now?

Alberta did have a carbon tax that the PCs put in. The NDP simply expanded the levy to everyone.

There was also nothing in the Paris Accord about Canada having to implement a carbon tax. That is simply the Liberals' doing.
    The Canadian prime minister, Justin Trudeau, said on Monday that Canada will impose a tax on carbon emissions starting in 2018 as part of its efforts to meet targets set by the Paris climate change accord.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...mate-agreement

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

Feet stomping. Haven't we met in person?
    Yep, we've met. You bought a sparco seat from me. I'm a pretty light hearted guy, so I don't take political discussions too seriously. I do enjoy a good respectful debate though

Originally posted by suntan
    Might want to check out Texas's state income tax rate, champ.
    Sure have sparky, it's zero. I was giving HTG a hard time about wanting to leave Canada to avoid sales taxes and ending up in a place with a sales tax. If we're going to open the floor to everything else, the discussion could expand pretty quickly to property tax, health care costs, toll roads, etc.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Sure have sparky, it's zero. I was giving HTG a hard time about wanting to leave Canada to avoid sales taxes and ending up in a place with a sales tax. If we're going to open the floor to everything else, the discussion could expand pretty quickly to property tax, health care costs, toll roads, etc.
    By most measurements, the Cost of Living is substantially less in Texas compared to Alberta, while being able to earn somewhat similiar money depending on industry. Plus the weather. That was kind of my point. Plus, out of any state, its pretty conservative (as long as you stay away from hippyville Austin).

So basically, my motherland The amount we are taxed up here is crazy... especially for what it buys. We need another Ralph, both provincially and federally, to clean house.

So much inefficiency.

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

So basically, my motherland The amount we are taxed up here is crazy...
    Just make sure you do the math for yourself. There's lots of tax calculators that can give you the effective tax rate for a given income. You might be surprised. It's not quite a simple as having no state income tax in texas = much less taxes. Pick an income and estimate the effective tax rate in Alberta, convert to USD and do it again for Texas. Of course the debate about how the taxes are spent is a completely different one.

They already auto-deposited the digital amount to my bank account.
    Cocoa $10,000 per ton.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Just make sure you do the math for yourself. There's lots of tax calculators that can give you the effective tax rate for a given income. You might be surprised. It's not quite a simple as having no state income tax in texas = much less taxes. Pick an income and estimate the effective tax rate in Alberta, convert to USD and do it again for Texas. Of course the debate about how the taxes are spent is a completely different one.
    Yeah, I just checked at although theres 0 stage taxes and a lot less federal taxes, the amount taken off for social security and medicare is more than EI and CPP here so in the end you pay the same payroll taxes.

Though the lower cost of living is definitely a huge perk.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

My 12/hour staff are getting these, I don't really understand what the purpose of this rebate is. Seems like a waste of money.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    NC1

Notley Bucks!
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
    My 12/hour staff are getting these, I don't really understand what the purpose of this rebate is. Seems like a waste of money.
    Not a waste, just a transfer.

Well ok, probably some waste trying to facilitate the transfer.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast