Quantcast
Basement hockey setup - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Basement hockey setup

My Ride
    Giant Reign

Default Basement hockey setup

I have an unfinished basement (insulated with vapor barrier) and am going to be setting up something so I can shoot pucks down there. My thought was to hang carpet from the joists about half a foot or a foot away from the walls to keep from damaging anything. Has anyone done this before? Any recommendations on where I can find inexpensive carpet for this, or any ideas on cheaper alternatives? I just need something that will muffle sound and stop the pucks, figured carpet was my best bet.

My idea was to have hooks in the joists and install rings on the carpet so I can put it up or take it down when we have lots of visitors and need to put someone downstairs. Any other ideas are welcome!
    Several studies have investigated the relationship between intelligence and the degree of religious belief (excluding humanism), with most showing an inverse correlation between intelligence averages and the "importance of religion" to the testee.

depending on the size and layout you could do a shooting tarp, a friend set this up in his basement and hug it across supporting Beam.

https://www.hockeyshot.ca/HockeyShot...t-tarp-032.htm

My Ride
    Lariat

I just had a net set up when I was a kid (unfinished basement) and I would just make sure to hit the net every time. If I missed and damaged/hit something I would get in trouble, that was a good deterrent that made me a more accurate shooter! Haha

That being said Im sure you can find some cheap carpet or something to hang behind a net but in front of the wall to deaden any impacts to the wall itself if you miss the net. Im sure end of the roll or some place like that would have some old carpet they want to get rid of for cheap. a 12' wide by 8' tall piece you hang from the ceiling shouldn't cost too much. A few hooks and some rope would make for easy hang up/pull down.
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

My Ride
    Giant Reign

Originally posted by asp integra
    I just had a net set up when I was a kid (unfinished basement) and I would just make sure to hit the net every time. If I missed and damaged/hit something I would get in trouble, that was a good deterrent that made me a more accurate shooter! Haha

That being said Im sure you can find some cheap carpet or something to hang behind a net but in front of the wall to deaden any impacts to the wall itself if you miss the net. Im sure end of the roll or some place like that would have some old carpet they want to get rid of for cheap. a 12' wide by 8' tall piece you hang from the ceiling shouldn't cost too much. A few hooks and some rope would make for easy hang up/pull down.
    Haha if I did that my wall would be a complete mess. I'm not known as a sniper, and that's by beer league standards. Never thought of the rope to hoist it up out of the way, that's a good idea. I'm going to look at doing something like that.
    Several studies have investigated the relationship between intelligence and the degree of religious belief (excluding humanism), with most showing an inverse correlation between intelligence averages and the "importance of religion" to the testee.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

I bought my net from costco, has a shooter tutor and some netting above and beside it to stop/send pucks back.. Not the highest quality but it was super cheap and is holding up well.

My walls are still concrete though haha so no advice there.

Beer hockey is always popular with my buds.

If you want carpet, I have a ton in my basement.

It was rolled up and left by the previous owners (so nice right?) when I bought my house (looks new), but i have no plans for it other than the dump. Its yours if you want it

Just buy regular painters drop cloths. It's a canvass like material. Will absorb even the hardest shots and you won't get any rebounding at all. Hang it about two feet from your wall.
    A carpet will still bounce your puck off, especially if it's at a bit of an angle.
    A 10x10 drop cloth should be around $50. And you can fold it up the size of a towell and put it away easily.
    You could even paint your net on it. Or double it up and cut holes for the corners and 5-hole.

Cheapest and easiest yet still effective. A carpet is heavy and takes up a lot of room even when rolled up.
    Last edited by C_Dave45; 01-12-2017 at 12:44 PM.

I have the costco net with the side and backstop too. Saw it for $99 in store a couple weeks ago - I think it was $180 or so last year. Really good for just shooting around but if you practice slapshots you will destroy the net.

I also stacked a ton of cardboard behind the net just in case but its not necessary if you have the backstop.

Get some hockey tiles too and you're golden.