Quantcast
Headphones with best Phone microphone? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Headphones with best Phone microphone?

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do they really "test" them, or are these just reviews?

EDIT: There are legit tests hidden in there. I'll check it out.
    Yeah he does pretty thorough objective testing - same for headphones, IEMs, TVs, etc.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Yeah he does pretty thorough objective testing - same for headphones, IEMs, TVs, etc.
    This is really excellent, here's one sample I'm looking at:
    https://www.rtings.com/headphones/re...omparison_2099

EDIT: Also looking through the forum part of that site, it looks like they are doing a dedicated "headsets for phone calls" list soon:
    Quote Originally Posted by rtings.com
    We’re working on a dedicated score set for phone calls that should be ready sometime within the next two weeks.
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 10-21-2019 at 12:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This is really excellent, here's one sample I'm looking at:
    https://www.rtings.com/headphones/re...omparison_2099

EDIT: Also looking through the forum part of that site, it looks like they are doing a dedicated "headsets for phone calls" list soon:
    Glad it's helping.

If you do land on a 'gaming' headset for your work, which I think isn't a bad idea, IMHO you would be better off with a Hyper X Could 2 (wired) or Could Flight (wireless version of the same). The Arctis sets test well in the lab but there are a lot of negative feedback out there regarding comfort, the mic, sound quality, etc. It's really hard to find a bad word about the Hyper X Could 2 series. I used to use an older set and I how have the Could 2's and IMHO they are a better unit. The Arctis use a narrow ear cup which might work for some people but for me it sits on rather than around my ear and are uncomfortable very quickly.

I have the Hyper X Coud 2's (wired) and I absolutely love them. I had a Steel Series Siberia V2 before and these are much better in terms of comfort and sound quality. The Clouds are just so comfy to wear for hours on end, which IMHO cannot be overstated if you're wearing them for an 8hr work day.

If you buy from Amazon, you can return them - places like Best Buy, Memory Express, etc. won't let you return headsets for hygiene reasons, but Amazon will - so if you want to try out a couple or if you aren't sure you'll like it, buy from Amazon.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 10-21-2019 at 01:32 PM.

My Ride
    IS350 / CBR600

Tried a bunch of the cheap china made BT headphones, but none are good for calls... person on the other end always says they have trouble hearing me.

Found out that my Plantronics BT600 I use for work works the really well on my phone and laptop for calls. I can also have it connected to both and will switch between the two.

Wish the airdots work better for calls, i use these for the gym and every time i get a call i have to switch to using the phone to talk.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Got a set of SteelSeries Arctis 3 2019 Wired headphones, and I'm not sure I'm going to keep them. the 1/8" TRRS connector means easy compatibility with my laptop and phone, which is good, but I have questions about the microphone. Since I my use isn't "gaming" but telephone and video calls, I find it a little distracting that I can hardly hear myself speak. Also, while the microphone claims to filter exterior noise, it obviously was built for indoor use, because wind noise outdoors is awful. Will test Monday morning with my weekly calls and see if I'm happy with it. Otherwise, sending back to Amazon.

I really don't want to spend $400+ on headphones, but also, I'm picky as hell. We shall see. These ones were $80, which is a lot for wired headphones.
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 10-26-2019 at 06:03 PM.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Did a test this morning on four microphone options.
    1) Lenovo X1 Carbon laptop
    2) Soundpeats Q30 cheap bluetooth earbuds
    3) Mpow H1 over-ear Bluetooth headphones
    4) Steel Series Arctis 3 Wired over-ear headphones with "clearcast" boom microphone. Tested with boom positioned very close, as well as further way from my mouth

in a quiet room, they all sound excellent. However, with ACDC's Highway To Hell cranked right beside me, the Arctis headphones were clearly better. They were noticeably quiet if I left the boom positioned a little further away from my mouth, so I think if I need these I'll need to keep that thing positioned quite close to my lips.

Still not sure if this is the solution i want. I may want to get one of the very expensive ones that uses ANC (Active Noise Cancellation) as part of the microphone algorithm to digitally reject background noises. Bonus of those is that they should be excellent for ANC headphones for use on airplanes and buses as well.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I did return the Arctis Headphones. Decided that for $90, I'd better love them, because if i didn't, I'd end up buying the $400 ones eventually.
    I think they are the right headphone for indoor use in noisy environments, because the mic did a great job of only picking up your voice as long as you have the mic positioned close to your mouth. Probably a good podcasting solution if you record your podcast outside of a quiet studio space. However, they can't filter wind noise at all, and they don't have any kind of ANC feature, which would be handy for travel.

I do have the ability to take the majority of my calls from reasonably quiet locations. Still not sure if I need a new solution for this. Will keep looking and waiting for rtings to release their "headphones for calls" review.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

The Planetronic 720 we have at work is quite nice.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Exploded.

Jabra 940

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Bumpy bump. Working from home, need a headset that filters out the noise of my kids screaming. Would be nice if it filters wind noise too, since I leave the house if the kids are screaming too loudly. Still spending hours a day on the phone.

Don't want "true wireless", and in fact, would be fully happy with a 3.5mm wired connection. Rtings is still heavily skewed towards gaming headsets, which aren't really the same kind of use-case. it does seem like Jabra and Platronics are the only companies that take this type of use seriously. I'd really prefer to spend less than $100, but I may not have choices.
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 03-17-2020 at 07:16 AM.

My Ride
    Silverado

We use Jabra bluetooth speaker / mics at work. They work well. The background noise filter does seem to work, as people who are far from the mic tend to get filtered out completely. Not sure how that'll go for much louder kids though..

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Thinking I need to go to the Plantronics Voyager 5200. Not cool or cheap, but amazing reviews.

My Ride
    Exploded.

See if you can get one of those Kenwood headsets they use in F1.

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

ATH-M50xbt - They go on sale regularly for $180. I use them daily for phone calls/teams/video conferencing/skype etc. They last forever on a charge and the m50 is known for it's sound signature. They isolate well and have a 3.5mm option if you don't want to run them off BT 5.0
    Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    Originally posted by InRich
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

We were issued the Jabra Evolve 75 and they have been nothing short of awesome for work purposes. Not the most comfortable cups but decent noise cancellation and the mic has been great.

My Ride
    2018 Ford F150 SCREW

Was thinking of picking up the Hyperx Cloud 2's or the SteelSeries Arctis 3 BT for working at home/skype calls and listening to music at work. Would like to be over-ear with a decent mic and some level of noise isolation. Anything else wired or wireless worth considering around $120?
    Last edited by ramminghard; 03-18-2020 at 11:48 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Rocking some Jabra UC 150's at home this week, as my spouse brought them home. USB works great for my video calls. Anyone know if most cellphones will accept a USB headset if you have the correct adapter? I'm cool with wired connections.
    Name:  31IYtykGkxL._AC_.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  7.8 KB

My Ride
    2018 Ford F150 SCREW

I picked up the HyperX Cloud II and am very happy with them so far!

My Ride
    Bicycle

My Sony WH-1000XM2 is surprisingly good with phone calls. Wireless is a bonus.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I'm over wireless. #Wired4lyfe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2