Quantcast
Thoughts on chargebacks? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on chargebacks?

Default Thoughts on chargebacks?

Curious on beyonders thoughts on the following issue:

Bought some custom items from a local retailer almost three months ago that still hasn't been delivered. Delivery dates were always verbal with nothing in writing up to this point. Original date suggested wasn't met, at first followup the next date given has come and gone, and a few followup calls made recently haven't been returned.

No delivery dates on the invoice either. Pretty easy going and have been waiting it out but getting to the point of just wanting a refund if the goods won't be delivered shortly.

I'll go down in person shortly given this and ask for a firm delivery date and get in writing - barring that I know I have a smallish window where I can do a chargeback. Bank says that's no problem at this point given the amount of time that has passed.

I'm just curious what beyond thinks in terms of the retailer possibly coming after me if I take that action. The invoice does say sales are final/no returns, and I would rather just get the stuff I ordered - but I feel that three months is reasonable to expect delivery and having missed that went with the chargeback route. I just want to know if I'm screwed if they come after me by other means.

Would I have a leg to stand on?

Amount was under $5k - but still in the thousands.

Thanks all!

PS - Yes it was stupid paying the whole thing up front.

Yeah I'd start the chargeback right away. If they have a problem tell them all they have to do to solve it is five you what you paid for, and that since they went dark on you, you had no other way to get their attention.
    dv/dt

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Three months and no product/multiple missed dates isn't acceptable. I'd probably tell him in writing that he has x days to deliver the full order. After he misses that, tell him you don't need it anymore and ask for a refund. When he refuses, charge it back.

Credit card company will want some proof that you tried to work it out.
    Last edited by FraserB; 01-14-2017 at 06:20 PM.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

It depends... I know in my industry with custom wheels it is "supposed" to take 4 to 6 weeks, but depending on a ton of things completely out of my control, I have seen it take as long as 16 weeks. That said, I make sure that is clear up front and that if the build process has started, you are commited, and that is because I am commited at that point, but if it hasn't started I will be able to cancel.

Custom can he very frustrating for both the consumer and the retailer because both parties are at the mercy of the manufacturer.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

First, you need to work it out with the retailer. If the verbal timeframe has passed, you have every right to get your money back as it is. But with any situation, it is always best to try to come to an amicable solution.

So then you need to make a decision as to whether or not you wish to allow them to have a firm delivery in writing. If you wish to go down that route, it's really no sweat off your balls as long as you can get a chargeback submitted in time if they don't follow through. It would also be the least stressful route.

Or, if you choose to just be done with it, tell the retailer you want your money back because they broke the verbal contract. If they balk at that, then you can up it a notch and tell them you could just do a chargeback.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Yeah custom wheels can be a nightmare... order custom works and it "should" be 2-3 months... but in reality it's almost alway 6... and some times longer

My Ride
    Hybrid

I'd be getting pretty antsy with a few thousand on the line and delivery dates being missed and phone calls ignored.

If you still want the product and still have faith in the seller, at the very least I'd have them cancel/refund the original transaction and ring it up again with a new invoice so that your chargeback period resets and you're protected for another few months.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

I'd be 100% getting a charge back if I was out thousands for several months. It's not your fault they can't deliver on time, or even after reasonable extensions. If it takes 6 months instead of 3, they should be telling you 6+ months to begin with, and if you get them early - great. That's bad business.

Chances are you will give them more slack, and just end up doing the charge-back anyway, but even later down the road. Especially if they're ignoring you, just bail and get your money back. Not worth the stress or hassle IMO.

Thanks for the thoughts all! I feel the same way.

Still no word from them. Will probably just chargeback and be done with it later this week.

Lesson learned to just do a minimal deposit in the future!

Don't mean to hijack your thread but does anyone have experience with using a visa debit card and applying for a chargeback? Canada post seems to have lost my parcel and they are giving me the run around, and the sending company does not want to take responsibility for the missing parcel.
    Big pimpiiiinnnnnnnnn

Always process a charge back it a delivery date is missed by more then a week. Retailers need to take responsibility for shitting the bed and not providing the service you paid for. If they went silent on me I would charge back then post everywhere online possible about the incident and try to destroy future business. There is no excuse for not delivery and refusing to respond to you.

My Ride
    Deebee8

Originally posted by USHER
    Don't mean to hijack your thread but does anyone have experience with using a visa debit card and applying for a chargeback? Canada post seems to have lost my parcel and they are giving me the run around, and the sending company does not want to take responsibility for the missing parcel.
    so the said company shipped your item out, Canada post lost it and is giving you the run around but you want the company to take responsibilty?

i dont think it would be fair for you to file a chargeback because of Canada Post losing your package

Originally posted by jdmsource

so the said company shipped your item out, Canada post lost it and is giving you the run around but you want the company to take responsibilty?

i dont think it would be fair for you to file a chargeback because of Canada Post losing your package
    If the sending company won't help him fight Canada Post (with timely results), that's exactly what I'd be doing too. I'm guessing their incentive to help would be vastly different if it was to recover their own cost rather than a customer's cost.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 01-18-2017 at 02:11 PM.

My Ride
    FB6

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

If the sending company won't help him fight Canada Post (with timely results), that's exactly what I'd be doing too. I'm guessing their incentive to help would be vastly different if it was to recover their own cost rather than a customer's cost.
    Agreed. Online retailers have adopted this as the norm (as in the seller being responsible for lost items). If that means shipping everything tracked, then the seller needs to factor in those costs to the sale or take the risk that things are actually lost or there are scammers.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by jdmsource

The receiver can't initiate anything with Canada Post, including claiming any insurance that was attached to the package as they have no contract with the receiver. It all has to be done by the shipper.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

Originally posted by FraserB

The receiver can't initiate anything with Canada Post, including claiming any insurance that was attached to the package as they have no contract with the receiver. It all has to be done by the shipper.
    +1 Canada post wont even speak to the recipient other than to provide tracking info, the recipient is not their customer, the recipient did not pay the fees as far as they are concerned, without the seller's cooperation, the buyer has no option but to recover the funds from the seller and that should encourage the seller to get off their asses.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

I spoke to the sending company and they will not file an investigation with usps. So both the company and Canada post are not willing to accept responsibility. What do you suggest I do? Just take a loss because neither company is willing to do anything?
    Big pimpiiiinnnnnnnnn

Originally posted by USHER
    I spoke to the sending company and they will not file an investigation with usps. So both the company and Canada post are not willing to accept responsibility. What do you suggest I do? Just take a loss because neither company is willing to do anything?
    Charge it back if you're able to. You've already put in more effort than necessary by contacting USPS and Canada Post. Let the sending company deal with it because they're the only ones who can anyway. Not your problem.

When you charge it back, the sending company will probably have a renewed interest in going after Canada Post. Then everyone is reimbursed and Canada Post pays if they're at fault.

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

Canadapost send me a letter saying the approved my claim but never made payment, i kept following up for almost a year and got lots of excuses. But I pay our CAnadapost account with Amex chargecard, I opened a claim with Amex, Canadapost rep calls and fixes everything.

In all honesty Chargebacks hurt corporations , only do it if you are in the right.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by thetransporter

In all honesty Chargebacks hurt corporations , only do it if you are in the right.
    I think this is the big thing about all of this that is missing from this thread. If a company is working with you, doing a chargeback is an assholish thing to do.

A company not working/helping you? Chargeback away. Clearly the OP is in a case to chargeback and be justified with it.

Some of the other people in this thread? Holy shit You do realize small business owners have many customers and wear many hats right? Even in this day of instant communication (and gratification) it can take time to get answers, ESPECIALLY when it comes to shipping/transport.

I just had a delay in products for ONE MONTH, completely outside my control. I contacted all affected customers, but sometimes people slip through the cracks or get missed. This is NOT in defense of the company OP is dealing with, just a general statement. Especially when it comes to "follow up" info, if I have 20 customers, one is having issues, and there is no status update/change to report, I probably won't contact them (after the initial problem contact) until the issue has moved forward or a substantial amount of time has passed (say two weeks). That's not because I don't care, that's because if any business gave that sort of attention to customers with issues, they'd never get any work done.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast