Quantcast
Ultrawide monitors? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ultrawide monitors?

My Ride
    toyotas, mitsu, and a ford

Originally posted by Super_Geo
    Damn... was just about to go to ME and get a 3x 27" monitor setup for a home workstation...

Wanted to build something like this (but with more workspace than that small desk):
    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

Maybe a a single 34" is the way to go though? Hm...
    Even the biggest best ultrawide isn't a replacement for a multimonitor setup. I went from a multimonitor setup to the single 34" 1440UW and didn't last a week before I was getting a couple more monitors delivered. Once you go full screen in a program you lose a lot of functionality. However going from 3 to 2 monitors was no big deal.

I would suggest a setup like this.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

Asus released the swift quite in response to the Acer X34 in order to not be one upped. It has identical specs to the predator but is 200$ more expensive, lacks vesa mounting, and doesnt have the RGB lighting that is expected to be on PC gaming products in this price range. I've used asus extensively in the past and they have left a pretty bad taste in my mouth. Ive had 3 of their highest end G7xx series laptops (4 if you wanna count the one that showed up DOA) and every single one has been plagued with problems. Their customer support leaves lots to be desired. Its been my experience that asus is best left to making PCBs such as Mother boards and graphics cards but avoid their assembled products. This sentiment is pretty widely shared amongst the pc enthusiast community as well.
    Uh, no actually the ROG Swift 27" PG278Q came out long before the Acer X34 did, or any of the Acer Predator gaming line. I got the first Swift that came out the day it was available in the USA, and bought the Acer 28" 4k Gsync the next week. The X34 and smaller sized Predator line weren't out yet. Asus had its ROG Swift line and the 34" model in the pipeline long before Acer released any "gaming" monitors, summer 2014 to be exact for the first Asus coming out. It was early October 2015 when the X34 came out. Asus 34" PG348q came out in December 2015, but it wasn't in "response" to the Acer, again, the entire Swift line had been planned out since 2014, just because it released a couple months later than the Acer doesn't mean that Asus was responding to anything - again Asus's Gsync ROG Swift line's first unit came out July 2014, a year before Acer released any of their line. The 34" Swift was ready and built first, as it was on display at Computex 2015 while the Acer 34" was NOT prior to release, so your comment about it being released to be "not one upped" is made even more ridiculous. BTW, both the Acer and Asus 34" use the exact same panel.

You may have used Asus extensively and been left with a bad taste, I've used everything extensively, being media and having access to pretty much everything, anytime, and my experience, and that of 20+ co workers is the exact opposite. We've had 2 Acer Preds with problems right out of the box, another 1 was DOA, and 1 wouldn't o/c to the 100hz it's advertised too. Out of a good dozen Asus monitors, not one dead pixel or failure yet.

As to Asus customer service, I haven't had to deal with them. The personal gear of theirs I own hasn't had failures as of yet, 3 ROG Swift monitors and a dozen MBs in the last couple of years. So far as blanket statements that the gaming community dislikes Asus much more than other brands, that's completely subjective and unprovable. Every brand has issues, but I've not seen Asus bear any more or less popularity than any other brand.

It's a very subjective issue - the TM Warthog on your desk for example, very popular and has a huge following, but also has many who claim it's total junk, as the sticktion issue and the poorly made and lubricated Oring are often a problem, as are the 4 poles on the inner ball of the gimbal unit giant POSs. See, subjective - I can find 100 TM WH users who will give photographic proof of their stick failing to work properly within a few months, and can also find 100 who will swear it's the best HOTAS ever made (I have 2 personal WHs and the original unit TM sent out to be reviewed, and about 20 various HOTAS I've owned or been sent for review over the years, pretty much all of them).

I haven't had an Asus gaming laptop longer than 3 months, they always go back and a new one shows up before that long, but I hear just as many complaints about MSI, Sager, and all the other gaming laptop makers as Asus, there certainly is no corner on the market in terms of problems.
    Last edited by Gman.45; 01-22-2017 at 03:52 PM.

My Ride
    toyotas, mitsu, and a ford

Originally posted by Gman.45

Uh, no actually the ROG Swift 27" PG278Q came out long before the Acer X34 did, or any of the Acer Predator gaming line. I got the first Swift that came out the day it was available in the USA, and bought the Acer 28" 4k Gsync the next week. The X34 and smaller sized Predator line weren't out yet. Asus had its ROG Swift line and the 34" model in the pipeline long before Acer released any "gaming" monitors, summer 2014 to be exact for the first Asus coming out. It was early October 2015 when the X34 came out. Asus 34" PG348q came out in December 2015, but it wasn't in "response" to the Acer, again, the entire Swift line had been planned out since 2014, just because it released a couple months later than the Acer doesn't mean that Asus was responding to anything - again Asus's Gsync ROG Swift line's first unit came out July 2014, a year before Acer released any of their line. The 34" Swift was ready and built first, as it was on display at Computex 2015 while the Acer 34" was NOT prior to release, so your comment about it being released to be "not one upped" is made even more ridiculous. BTW, both the Acer and Asus 34" use the exact same panel.

You may have used Asus extensively and been left with a bad taste, I've used everything extensively, being media and having access to pretty much everything, anytime, and my experience, and that of 20+ co workers is the exact opposite. We've had 2 Acer Preds with problems right out of the box, another 1 was DOA, and 1 wouldn't o/c to the 100hz it's advertised too. Out of a good dozen Asus monitors, not one dead pixel or failure yet.

As to Asus customer service, I haven't had to deal with them. The personal gear of theirs I own hasn't had failures as of yet, 3 ROG Swift monitors and a dozen MBs in the last couple of years. So far as blanket statements that the gaming community dislikes Asus much more than other brands, that's completely subjective and unprovable. Every brand has issues, but I've not seen Asus bear any more or less popularity than any other brand.

It's a very subjective issue - the TM Warthog on your desk for example, very popular and has a huge following, but also has many who claim it's total junk, as the sticktion issue and the poorly made and lubricated Oring are often a problem, as are the 4 poles on the inner ball of the gimbal unit giant POSs. See, subjective - I can find 100 TM WH users who will give photographic proof of their stick failing to work properly within a few months, and can also find 100 who will swear it's the best HOTAS ever made (I have 2 personal WHs and the original unit TM sent out to be reviewed, and about 20 various HOTAS I've owned or been sent for review over the years, pretty much all of them).

I haven't had an Asus gaming laptop longer than 3 months, they always go back and a new one shows up before that long, but I hear just as many complaints about MSI, Sager, and all the other gaming laptop makers as Asus, there certainly is no corner on the market in terms of problems.

I have no interest arguing with a obvious fan boi. Just sharing my rather extensive experience with home computers.

If I made it sound like asus is crap I defiantly didn't mean to be that harsh but they are no means the always go-to brand. I do like their motherboards and graphics cards and have used them extensively and will continue to do so.

You also misread that I said the gaming community hates asus. I said that the sentiment of asus making really good PDB type products(MB and graphics cards) but their assembled products(laptops in particular) are bested by other brands.

I can't speak to their monitors as the only experience i have with them is that we use them at work (and they do have a higher failure rate than the dells which is the other brand we use exclusively). But I do a lot of extensive research before i go dropping almost 2k on a monitor and the 34"swift almost never came up and the predator seems to be the go to monitor for the majority of people looking for that high end UW. Hell even look to what the youtube stars use for monitors Jayz2cent, Bitwit, Linustechtips, techsource, all use the predator panel as their personal monitor and highly praise it.

It doesn't take much googling to find that asus is pretty well known for having below par customer service and my experience defiantly parallels everything I've read online.

P.S. that is not my setup I posted above it was just to show him the monitor configuration. Although, I am very interested in seeing your setups since I have yet to see you come into a thread and not mention that you have sli 1080s and a titan xp.

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

I have a 29" UW and I'm not sure I'd do it again, I originally had bought a 27" and didn't feel it was
    special enough, so I returned it and came home with the big monitor.

I love the immersion in the games that support it. Forza Horizon 3, Tomb Raiders, Overwatch (sometimes when its allowed), Civ5 etc.

But during cut scenes you see lots of errors or black bars.

Other games like Dark Souls you have to hack to make work and risk a VAC ban.

It's great for multitasking though, on sundays I'll play a video on the left and play a game windowed @ 1080p on the right.

No black bars between displays or losing the mouse is big in my books.

Fanboi? How can you be a fanboi of anything when you buy a wide variety of...everything. Not to mention the fact that I ran the largest gaming website in Canada at one time, 250k forum registered users, 60 mil hits/month and 1 million unique/month, hosted by Nucleus (we ate 20 percent of their entire bandwidth with our colocated box back then), and have been writing for gaming/military sim print and online mags for nearly 20 years as a hobby - I've gotten every single piece of new hardware/games I've ever asked for, and still get most of them without solicitation for them. I have as many Acer and BenQ monitors for the 4 gaming desktops in our home as I do Asus. Fanboy = someone who buys, uses, and extols one brand, I get, or buy if I have to, pretty much everything from every major manufacturer.

As for my setups, I'll start with the most recent - btw there are MemEx employees who post here that can quickly check my accounts there, I buy a new gaming desktop, replacing one I sell off or give away, every 6 months, at most every 9. With 4 desktop gaming stations at our Calgary home, it's musical new box at least a couple times a year usually. Most recent is this one, BroadwellE 6850 w/2 1080s - in fact a poster here knows all about this one as they accidentally gave away my 2 1080s (I had a review unit at the time, but wanted 2 for my own personal system as the review one had to go back), and he had to scramble to get 2 for me.

When I get home and get my other camera I'll take some more if it'll satisfy you, here is desktop 1, Rift, Vive (I have 2 of each), Swift 27", 4 different HOTAS setups, custom rudder peds. Pics of the PC (Bwell E) running it. (Rift is on the bottom edge of the Ducky Shine 5 KB, crappy phone cam is very dark, and I'm not at home until next week, this is just what I brought with me to our winter place). About $10k CDN for this setup, not counting the $500USD custom rudder pedals.

I have the new SLI bridge for the 1080s now as it wasn't available yet when I got this latest system, I just haven't gotten it back from a lend out yet. Again, I only have a crappy phone camera, I can put better pics up of all our gaming stations if you're really that interested. I suppose I'm guilty of being an nVidia "Fanboi/boy, whatever or however you spell it", as 3 out of 4 desktops are running nVidia cards, 2 1080 SLI, one 1070, one TitanXP, and only one is an all AMD setup. So, guilty as charged. I guess...

Last edited by Gman.45; 01-24-2017 at 04:17 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2