Quantcast
PmP Designation/Course - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PmP Designation/Course

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Default PmP Designation/Course

Looking into the PMP designation since I have the required hours for experience (providing the allow for past experience to count). For those of you who have done it, I've hear that the course is required and also that the test can be challenged.

Any insight, as well as recommended test prep books/reading material, would be appreciated.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

I just know a friend of mine applied and said the process is absolutely brutal. Trying to prove hours etc etc,, that's all I know

My Ride
    Fremont

Just passed the test right before xmas. Studied for a month, 2-3 hours/day. I didn't want the shame of failing when the boss paid for everything.
    The company I work for brought in a 3rd party instructor to run us through the material, so I won't know what it's like to challenge or go through MRU. He was a good dude, runs the gamut of PMI designations PgMP, PMP, PMI-ACP and a PhD in adult education.

https://www.velociteach.com/classes/pmp-exam-prep-5th/
    To gain 35+ contact hours of PM education (required to apply for the exam), we sat through 3 days x 8 hours of bootcamp & the remaining is online e-learning program.
    -The online practice exams where useful because they were harder than the actual exam.
    -Never did get a PMI PMBOK guide, just used the one provided by Velociteach.
    -My challenge was disregarding what & how I PM things, and regurgitating knowledge/processes in the way PMI wants.

you can also buy it here, but I dont know how to meet the 35 contact hours.
    https://www.amazon.ca/Velociteach-Al...mp+velociteach

The included, tri-fold double sided, Quick Reference Guide was and still is useful to me. looks like this:
    https://www.bookdepository.com/PMP-E.../9780982760895

Application process wasn't brutal, per se; submit hours, submit length of time, write up description of PM activity. I copy-pasta the same written description and changed project names around. Didn't hit the 1:20 chance for an application audit.

200 question test, 25q are future test q's. Never knew which one was which, but some where so obscure, I was guessing it wasn't for marks.
    Of the remaining 175, you need ~106 to pass - as described by the book. Sounds like PMI is keeping it a secret.

In Calgary, the testing center's immediate parking lot has max 2 hours time limit. I parked underground at save-ons instead.
    7:30am exam, didnt start until 8am because they screen everyone individually prior to set up.

Test was 4hours long,... is it? was it? can't remember.
    Finshed initial 100questions in 60min, 10min break, remaining 100q in 60mins, 10 minute break, 20min going over questions I marked and decided I had enough with 30min left, I think. I just wanted to GTFO.
    Press the finish button for the agony of instant results and you get taken to survey questions about how the Testing Center is performing. Answer those and sit for a long 20 seconds. Get your answer on the screen, proctor prints, stamps proof & results.
    -

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Wow, thanks for the huge write up.

Is the course you linked to the one that you did?

Default Re: PmP Designation/Course

Originally posted by FraserB
    Looking into the PMP designation since I have the required hours for experience (providing the allow for past experience to count). For those of you who have done it, I've hear that the course is required and also that the test can be challenged.

Any insight, as well as recommended test prep books/reading material, would be appreciated.
    Course is required (some type of education related to PM), exam is normal but the process at the exam is like being treated by "gestappo" police, nothing on you, must wear ear protection, cant turn, when entering u r being filmed showing empty pockets etc. It is long exam but once you prep for it, it is doable. There is book by Rita (prep book) that I used and it is very good. You have to take mockup exam and focus on areas that you have issue. Lots of if it is project common sense, rest, is related to theory from PMBOK. Took course at mount Royal University as I was short on my educational requirements, course is not bad and good place to learn abot exam approach and maybe study groups. Good luck

My Ride
    BMW/Lexus

I plan to write it sometime this year. Is PMBOK and Rite prep book enough for studying materials? Also, how often do they offer the test? Thanks.

My Ride
    TL

Can it be self-taught? I'm interested in getting my designation, but I don't have an employer to cover the expenses (exam/course).

My Ride
    Fremont

Wow, thanks for the huge write up.

Is the course you linked to the one that you did?
    That's the one. He ran us over the material and also did easy mock tests as well. From here, he made recommendations & prescribed a study plan depending on your in class mock exams such as take test next week, take test in 30days and study XYZ, or take test in 3 months to study because you're going to waste the $500USD exam fee.

I just watched the video and realized the package you can buy doesn't include the mind-maps workbook we were give in the bootcamp. Its purpose was to help you remember the inputs/tools/outputs in the various knowledge groups and corresponding processes by drawings things out.

Tough to say if you can self learn since I was spoon fed the information.
    My learning tactic was each day cover 1 knowledge areas: light reading over the text book, and committing to memory the information on quick reference guide, then doing velociteach's practice exam online until I hit low 80% marks.
    Knowing myself & w/o the practice exams to guide me, I would have been overconfident and bombed it.

Using the Quick Ref Guide as an example & focusing on the relatively easy Procurement Management knowledge area:
    http://imgur.com/a/yVyDY
    I snipped in some 'practice exams questions' to show what you're up against.
    Must know intricacies like:
    -Can't Control Procurement until you've Conducted Procurement,
    -Make or Buy Analysis is a tool in Plan Procurement,
    -Make or Buy Decision is an output of Plan Procurement, AND input to Conducting Procurement.

The actual exam q's was easier, but only slightly. You can usually eliminate 2 right off the start and then rely on your studying to get through it. I'm coming in from a Engineering/Technical/Project Delivery & Management capacity, so the iron triangle of Scope, Costs & Schedule are familiar, but PMI want you to know its material in an exact and very specific way.
    Other knowledge areas such as risk, stakeholders, communication, etc. was easier to absorb because of exposure in the work place.
    Last edited by LLLimit; 01-18-2017 at 09:29 AM.
    -

My Ride
    TL

really interesting, thanks for the info!

My Ride
    BMW/Lexus

Does anyone have mock exam/sample questions that they could share please? Thx.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Where did everyone get their study books?

Chapters/Indigo has no selection and wants you to special order any of the titles they have.

U of c book store may still have them.
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

I've been reading:

A Guide To The Project Management Body of Knowledge ( PMBOK GUIDE) Fifth Edition

Looking to do the exam this year sometime, if not early in 2018.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by BokCh0y
    I've been reading:

A Guide To The Project Management Body of Knowledge ( PMBOK GUIDE) Fifth Edition

Looking to do the exam this year sometime, if not early in 2018.
    How do you like it? That's one of the ones I was looking at

How do you like it? That's one of the ones I was looking at
    The reviews were great on that book, generally well rounded.

I've only read a few chapters of it so far, doing an MBA so I haven't had time to really get into it. But from what I've read so far, the book is filled with a lot of the PMI methodologies and framework. I think if you're seriously looking to do your PMP, this is a good book to have for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

My Ride
    Left at 5pm

Unhappy

Recently wrote and received PMP designation.

To study, I used this book from the UofC bookstore extensively, along with referring back to the PMBOK itself.

This book covered what you needed to know and was much less exhaustive to read than the PMBOK. Included a lot of sample exercises where you applied your knowledge and the material, which I found was a big focus of the PMP exam. Each chapter/section also had a good number of appropriate / applicable / similar review questions. I should mention that I've also been working as a PM with an Owner company for a few years now and felt very comfortable with the material to begin with, which left me quite comfortable using this book as my only study guide.

The publisher also has available for purchase (and not included in the purchase price of the book, of course) an exam bank with 400+ questions. If they're anything like what was included in the book itself, I expect they would be very applicable to the test and be a great drill/practice run. I opted not to purchase this due to my level of comfort to begin with.
    Originally posted by scat19
    I have a BMW so im not stupid.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

What industry are you guys in that are getting the PMP designation? Speaking with different people within oil & gas (outside of the IT world) I am getting mixed reviews on the value added benefit to having it. I've talked to some guys who said its an absolute must, others seem to think its another three letter designation that they don't care about when hiring or choosing a PM. Now those guys I've talked to in the IT world seem to have a general consensus that its a valuable designation to have.

I'm just curious as I have thought about getting it as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

Originally posted by schurchill39
    What industry are you guys in that are getting the PMP designation? Speaking with different people within oil & gas (outside of the IT world) I am getting mixed reviews on the value added benefit to having it. I've talked to some guys who said its an absolute must, others seem to think its another three letter designation that they don't care about when hiring or choosing a PM. Now those guys I've talked to in the IT world seem to have a general consensus that its a valuable designation to have.

I'm just curious as I have thought about getting it as well.
    I've worked with good project managers without a PMP and worked with terrible project managers with a PMP. It's pretty worthless if you have a bunch of projects on your resume, but would be worth it to get your starting project. Some people just pay their dues as a project co-ordinator and move into project management. To be a project co-ordinator, you just need a pair of tits ... but I digress.
    Last edited by phreezee; 02-22-2017 at 11:14 AM.

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

Take the course, keep your PmP hand strong.

Originally posted by Sentry
    Take the course, keep your PmP hand strong.
    PmP ain't easy, but somebody's gotta do it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast