Quantcast
PmP Designation/Course - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: PmP Designation/Course

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Bump!

I am looking back into this as it seems like every job outside of O&G that I remotely qualify for asks for PMP or CAPM. I've been looking through the different courses that MRU, U of C, U of A, and even U of S offer and there seems to be a huge spread in course length, what material is covered, and even the names of the programs. I've been managing projects for around 4 years with no formal education in project management so I am not entirely sure what path to take. I'm finding some reviews that say its best just to just study on your own with a 40 hour prep course to get the educational requirements, others have said to take a program. I am currently a contractor so this will all be out of my own pocket. Any insight from beyonders with PMP?
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Edit: Not as insightful as I thought it would be for question above after re-reading request.
    Last edited by Disoblige; 07-14-2020 at 04:29 PM.

My Ride
    Faux X 4 Mall Crawler

Pmp prep cast was what finally got me across the finish line, $750 but it has great practice exams, good lesson structure, provides the 35 hours you need, etc.

Als get both the Rita and pmi book
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    ATS, XC90

I did mine in 2017, had been PM'ing for about 12 yrs before that. You'll need something to show a documented course; they won't accept just the exam and experience, so most prep courses are a combination of exam prep, while providing the classroom credits you also need. I'm sure myself or others can provide a whole list of reference courses; I particularly liked the lady I did mine with, but as you've seen there's a wide variety so personal recommendations is the best way.

The course I took focused on what you need to pass the exam, not necessarily what you would do in real-life. The PMP exam is from the mindset of a perfect world with unlimited budget, unlimited time to review lessons learned from previous projects, etc, which isn't usually the case in real life. So what your instinct might think is the right answer based on experience isn't always what PMI is looking for. The exam questions can be a bit ambiguous, with multiple right answers, so it helps if the course can help you focus on what the exam is looking for.

Even after the course, I took about a month of 2-3hrs a night studying to make sure I passed. Let me know if you want me to dig up the name of the lady who gave our course. I find a lot of the courses are given by PMPs who're done their time behind the wheel and just looking to help the next wave.
    Last edited by Doozer; 07-14-2020 at 04:20 PM.

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

I got mine 2.5 years ago, passed on the first try. I did a ton of practice exams (I can dig the eletronic ones I got if you like) and used Rita Mulcahy's PMP Exam Prep book (you can buy it off amazon) to study and it prepared me decently well.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Edit: Not as insightful as I thought it would be for question above after re-reading request.
    I read your original reply and I thought it was good Its a fair opinion that if people have been PM'ing for a while and have previous higher educational experience that doing it on your own minus a 35 hour course is a viable option.

Quote Originally Posted by finboy View Post
    Pmp prep cast was what finally got me across the finish line, $750 but it has great practice exams, good lesson structure, provides the 35 hours you need, etc.

Als get both the Rita and pmi book
    PMP prep cast seems to be the gold standard when reading through /r/pmp so I will check that out.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozer View Post
    SNIP...
    It seems like there are a ton of exam prep courses that give you the 35 hours or so you that you need for PMI. I like those options as most of them are a pseudo "learn at your own pace" where I don't have to be in front of a computer monitor at a specific time of the day. If you wouldn't mind finding that lady's name so I can look into it I would appreciate that. Not sure how everyone besides major institutions have adapted to Covid but worth looking into.

Quote Originally Posted by A2VR6 View Post
    I got mine 2.5 years ago, passed on the first try. I did a ton of practice exams (I can dig the eletronic ones I got if you like) and used Rita Mulcahy's PMP Exam Prep book (you can buy it off amazon) to study and it prepared me decently well.
    Just bought the PMBOK, Rita Mulcahy's PMP Exam Prep course, and the PMBOK Q&A guide. Sounds like those are also the gold standard.

Did anyone do a full program? Or have most people only done some variation of a 35-40 hour course?
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post
    I read your original reply and I thought it was good Its a fair opinion that if people have been PM'ing for a while and have previous higher educational experience that doing it on your own minus a 35 hour course is a viable option.
    Thanks, fair enough!
    I just didn't want to sound like someone who is using anecdotal experiences of others (even if it is people I know directly through work) as a piece of advice since I haven't experienced it in detail myself. Personal pet peeve of mine.

My Ride
    Faux X 4 Mall Crawler

PMP prep cast seems to be the gold standard when reading through /r/pmp so I will check that out.

It seems like there are a ton of exam prep courses that give you the 35 hours or so you that you need for PMI. I like those options as most of them are a pseudo "learn at your own pace" where I don't have to be in front of a computer monitor at a specific time of the day. If you wouldn't mind finding that lady's name so I can look into it I would appreciate that. Not sure how everyone besides major institutions have adapted to Covid but worth looking into.

Just bought the PMBOK, Rita Mulcahy's PMP Exam Prep course, and the PMBOK Q&A guide. Sounds like those are also the gold standard.

Did anyone do a full program? Or have most people only done some variation of a 35-40 hour course?
    I did the u of c prep course, work for in the way and I couldn’t write for another 8 months so I took the prepcast as well. In class we find to get the credits, but imo it all comes down to practice exams and understanding where the processes fit. My pm experience was a hinderance, as mentioned in here the exam looks at the ideal scenario so some cases just did not make sense to me given reality.

I also put together a Saturday study group, would do the Rita matching game and flash cards every morning for 4-6 weeks. For practice quizzes I would do 50-100 practice questions One night, check what I got wrong and re-read those sections the next night to improve, then back to another 50-100 questions the following night. Sunday was a full practice exam day, prepcast had the best scorecard to drill down on my weak areas to I could focus on those later, after I finished my exam I would review wrong answers and use that as guidance for what to study/quiz the next week. I probably went overboard but 4 of the 5 categories I got above average marks so it seemed to work. One of my study group members decided to take the test well before we all thought she should and she failed.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    Left at 5pm

I worked as a PM for several years, so I only completed the UofC 40hr prep-course (spread over two weeks at the DT campus), and reviewed the PMBOK material on my own for a few weeks before writing, including several practice quizzes and the Rita book; all of this prepped me well enough to pass on the first try. A colleague of mine did the MRU prep-course instead, and he felt it was sufficient.

IMO, if you have real life PM experience, you shouldn't have to do the a full program - just the prep course and studying should be good. You've learned a lot of the material already by doing, even if you don't have any formal PM training. As finboy mentioned, I had to put some effort into thinking the PMBOK way, instead of drawing on my real world experience as there were a few critical differences that were apparent when studying.
    Originally posted by scat19
    I have a BMW so im not stupid.

My Ride
    ATS, XC90

Found it, it was through pmenterprises.net, the instructor was Shari Brand. She was excellent. Looks like a US company though, so may not be viable for a one-off here unless they've got an online option. We had her come into the office and teach a few of us for a week. Company had a big push to get everyone PMP certified so they paid for it.

I also did a full Project Management course through NAIT back in 2006, when I was just getting started, but with only a few years of real world experience I'm not sure how useful it was.

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

Quote Originally Posted by finboy View Post
    I did the u of c prep course, work for in the way and I couldn’t write for another 8 months so I took the prepcast as well. In class we find to get the credits, but imo it all comes down to practice exams and understanding where the processes fit. My pm experience was a hinderance, as mentioned in here the exam looks at the ideal scenario so some cases just did not make sense to me given reality.
    I feel my 12 year experience would be a hindrance to be me as well. I would consider myself an EPCM vendor firefighter PM haha. Changing careers so it doesn't matter at this point. I am feeling very happy to be on a different work path. Something I enjoy.

I am apprenticing to be an electrician. Going to specialize in automation, plc programming, motion control, electronics etc. I will apply for the odd PM job on Linkedin here and there. Have had a few interviews that have been interesting but I need to go a different path. Tired of babysitting people and smallish OEM manufacturers.

Now is a great time for me to make the change!
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

I took the UofC downtown campus 40hr Exam Prep Course and it was a great help, more about how to study for the test and answer questions correctly than about the actual PMI fundamentals which I thought was great. I went into the exam with only ~1yr of PM experience so I was able to think more along the PMI lines than how we actually manage projects at my company.

Quote Originally Posted by A2VR6 View Post
    Didn't you use my Rita book to study?
    Last edited by 94boosted; 07-16-2020 at 09:15 PM.

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

Quote Originally Posted by 94boosted View Post
    Didn't you use my Rita book to study?
    Indeed I did! Its not like they changed any of the material from when you wrote it haha.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by legendboy View Post
    I am apprenticing to be an electrician. Going to specialize in automation, plc programming, motion control, electronics etc.
    Amazing choice! I would go the same route personally as this space has an amazing future. Being an expert in this field will be very sought after.

Not sure why people think PMP is equivalent to some degree or something, it's one of the easiest certification anyone can do.

Let me know if anyone need 1400 exam questions, no need to waste any time reading useless books or anything. I barely studied for 2 weeks and passed my exam last week with all AT scores.

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Amazing choice! I would go the same route personally as this space has an amazing future. Being an expert in this field will be very sought after.
    I am doing certs thru george brown. I have completed electro-mechanical tech, need 6 extra modules to get electronics tech cert and then plc, lonworks etc. Should be a high demand/paying career. It made sense to me since i have been fixing/retrofitting/selling cnc machines, contract cnc repair to shops and audio equipment repair for 10 years. Hoping for a bright finish to my working years. I know quite a few electricians going for their pmp as well haha
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2