Quantcast
Got Pulled Over Yesterday By Cops Looking for Weapons/Drugs..Got Rolling Stop Fine - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 12 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Got Pulled Over Yesterday By Cops Looking for Weapons/Drugs..Got Rolling Stop Fine

My Ride
    2013 Civic LX

Default Got Pulled Over Yesterday By Cops Looking for Weapons/Drugs..Got Rolling Stop Fine

Hello,

Got pulled over last night and experienced a very strange encounter with the cops that has resulted in a $388 Failure to stop at a Stop Sign violation.

This happened literally a block away from my house.

Approach the common 3 way stop sign controlled intersection by my house.

Intersection is completely empty. I slow down and make sure to look around for any traffic. Come to a full stop momentarily (i.e the car is slows to 0km/h).

In my peripheral I notice an all-black unmarked 2015 Ford Mustang with a red light inside, both riders staring at me and my car (I guess I stood out to them because I was driving an all black car that I just washed?). My guess at that point was it's a cop, and low and behold seconds later he pulls a U-turn, sirens, the full works.

Him and his partner get out of the car and approach.

Me:
    "evening officer, what seems to be the problem"

Officer Andreasen (with the Calgary Police Service):
    "There was a stop sign back there you rolled through it"

Me:
    "Are you sure about that officer? I knew you were a cop before you even turned you lights on. I'm positive I stopped at the stop sign"

Officer Andreasen:
    "Nope. You rolled through it. We've got a dash cam in the car we saw you.

Me:
    "Ok officer, could I please see the dash cam footage of me rolling through the intersection?"

Andreasen:
    "can't show you now you can see it later."

Me:
    "officer I'd like to see the dash cam footage"

Andreasen:
    **Avoids the question because now my sister begins to chime in about his partner flashing the light into the car**

His partner was flashing a high beam light into the car expect he wasnt moving it around he literally had it focused on my sister. She asked what the reason for that was.

Andreasen:
    "We are approaching a dark car at night, we don't know if you got guns/drugs in here."

At that point my sister gets mad about the flashlight and the fact Andreasen has been raising his voice throughout the entire encounter and begins saying "fuck you" "fat fuck" to the officers. I try to calm her down in front of them. I remained extremely calm throughout the ordeal not once raising my voice or speaking in a derogatory fashion.

I really was bewildered as to the fact the two of them came out, but my guess is they are on a drug/gun/gang operation team and my car seemed to be a jackpot.

Anyways they go back to the car and run my license hoping to find warrants or anything, obviously they find nothing. Cop comes back and fines me with a $388 violation ticket for failure to stop at the stop sign.

Andreasen:
    *hands me ticket* "Do you have any questions"

Me:
    "I just don't understand the necessity of your abrasive nature, and coming back with a flashlight a second time with your partner when you've already established there's nothing in the car"

Andreasen:
    *Raises voice even higher* "I don't tell you how to do your job don't tell me how to do mine" *begins going on semi-rant about how his job is to protect citizens

"so any further questions"

Me:
    "I don't have any at the moment, but I look forward to seeing you again next month"

Andreasen:
    *Slight pause* "You're planning to fight the ticket?"

Me:
    "Yes I hope to see you again at the trial"

Andreasen:
    "I encourage you to fight the ticket"

Me:
    "I will"

Andreasen:
    "Well have a good night, again, I encourage you to fight the ticket"

Me:
    "Have a good night officer"

My sister:
    "fuck you fat fuck"

At that point I was fairly mad at my sister for saying that. I don't understand why she had to yell it again, but nonetheless we were on our way.

At this point I'm trying to formulate my case. Any thoughts and considerations would help. I will appear at the court house and I do not plan on speaking about how abrasive the cops were. Its a waste of time for me in my opinion. What I'm going there for is because I am completely innocent. I did no wrong, I did not break a single law.

Later the same night I went back to that intersection just to watch cars as they approached it. I saw over 60 cars and can confirm about 2-3 cars actually came to a complete stop, every single other car (including a few marked CPS cars) approach the intersection, make sure to look around for traffic, slow down further (but never to a full stop) and then proceed. It's very common, Its the safe thing to do. I can guarantee that 98% of this forum will approach their next stop sign in a similar fashion. Its human nature, its the safe thing to do, and is the sign of a vigilant driver. There were a few people who blew through the intersection altogether, I cannot defend their actions.

But here's the thing. I actually did come to a stop. It's a stop sign. I slowed my car to 0kmh, which for all intents and purposes is coming to a stop. At an otherwise empty intersection I still looked all around to make sure it was safe to proceed.

My argument at that point (court) would be to see the dash cam footage that officer Andreasen refused to show me when I asked for it.
    Last edited by pinnochio5; 01-17-2017 at 04:42 PM.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

A+ would read again.

Sister didn't help the situation one bit but you would have probably gotten the ticket anyway.

GL with fighting the ticket. It's a day out of your pocket.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

He doesn't have to show you anything on the side of the road.

File for disclosure and go to court. Guarantee that your attitudes will be brought up in court and you should have an explanation for them. Them looking into the car with flashlights is completely allowed and by your account, he started getting aggravated when you guys started mouthing off.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Rule #1 - Never ask a cop anything, 99.9% of the time they become hyper defensive and will make your day a living hell

I'd just go to court and fight it

My Ride
    bus

You should get a dash cam and tell your sister to calm the fck down.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Default Re: Got Pulled Over Yesterday By Cops Looking for Weapons/Drugs..Got Rolling Stop Fine

Originally posted by pinnochio5
    My sister:
    "fuck you fat fuck"

At that point I was fairly mad at my sister for saying that. I don't understand why she had to yell it again

HE GOT WEED! HE GOT WEED!

My Ride
    2013 Civic LX

Originally posted by FraserB

File for disclosure and go to court. Guarantee that your attitudes will be brought up in court and you should have an explanation for them. Them looking into the car with flashlights is completely allowed and by your account, he started getting aggravated when you guys started mouthing off.
    Thing is, I don't want to bring up the confrontation between us because I remained calm as hell throughout the whole ordeal. My sister was the one who was mouthing off, but I will make sure she stays far away from the court house on the trial. If the cop decided to bring that up I will just say its extremely extraneous to the case. All I care about is the ticket he gave me, and the fact that it was unwarranted.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

You felt the need to name an officer on the internet because he gave you a failure to stop ticket while your sister was mouthing him off?

Lets be honest, you probably rolled the sign. Because thats what everyone does 90% of the time.

This is why cops end up with bad attitudes towards citizens.

Most interesting part of the story is that there are unmarked new mustang cruisers out there. Thats a first for me.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Just ask for disclosure, and get the dashcam footage specifically that the officer said he had.

That alone will prove if you completely stopped or not.

Additionally, it doesn't matter how many other vehicles do or don't come to a complete stop. Coming to a complete stop is required by law. Just so happens that the cops got you for it.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

File for disclosure and go to court.
    Uh huh. That's even more ludicrous than going solar.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Thing is, I don't want to bring up the confrontation between us because I remained calm as hell throughout the whole ordeal. My sister was the one who was mouthing off, but I will make sure she stays far away from the court house on the trial. If the cop decided to bring that up I will just say its extremely extraneous to the case. All I care about is the ticket he gave me, and the fact that it was unwarranted.
    How are the interactions between the vehicle occupants and the officers irrelevant to the traffic stop? The officers got a hostile reception during a traffic stop, you think that is meaningless and has no bearing on the situation?

Do you think if your response had been "Oh boy, I didn't realize. I thought I came to a full stop, sorry about that." and not "Show me the dash cam now"., the end result would have been different?

The amount of fines I have not gotten because I don't play the "muh rights" game on the side of the road or call the cop a "fat fuck" is in the thousands of dollars. Attitude is pretty much everything.

My Ride
    2013 Civic LX

Originally posted by killramos
    You felt the need to name an officer on the internet because he gave you a failure to stop ticket while your sister was mouthing him off?

Lets be honest, you probably rolled the sign. Because thats what everyone does 90% of the time.

This is why cops end up with bad attitudes towards citizens.

Most interesting part of the story is that there are unmarked new mustang cruisers out there. Thats a first for me.
    Yes, he is a public servant.

Second off, I did not roll the sign. If I did I'd swallow my pride and pay it, like the first poster after me said, it's a days work. Its not the ticket amount I'm mad about. I'm mad about the principle and the failure to uphold justice. I came to a stop, I did not roll through the sign. Why should I have to be held accountable for something I did not do? How is that fair? My sister mouthing off and the cop raising his voice is all extraneous to this case. All I give a shit about is the ticket I was given.

Sounds like a NE traffic stop based on behavior of the OP.

My Ride
    bus

Default Re: Got Pulled Over Yesterday By Cops Looking for Weapons/Drugs..Got Rolling Stop Fine

Hello,

Got pulled over last night and experienced a very strange encounter with the cops that has resulted in a $388 Failure to stop at a Stop Sign violation.

This happened literally a block away from my house.

Approach the common 3 way stop sign controlled intersection by my house.

Intersection is completely empty. I slow down and make sure to look around for any traffic. Come to a full stop momentarily (i.e the car is slows to 0km/h).

In my peripheral I notice an all-black unmarked 2015 Ford Mustang with a red light inside, both riders staring at me and my car (I guess I stood out to them because I was driving an all black car that I just washed?). My guess at that point was it's a cop, and low and behold seconds later he pulls a U-turn, sirens, the full works.

Him and his partner get out of the car and approach.

Me:
    "evening officer, what seems to be the problem"

Officer Andreasen (with the Calgary Police Service):
    "There was a stop sign back there you rolled through it"

Me:
    "Are you sure about that officer? I knew you were a cop before you even turned you lights on. I'm positive I stopped at the stop sign"

Officer Andreasen:
    "Nope. You rolled through it. We've got a dash cam in the car we saw you.

Me:
    "Ok officer, could I please see the dash cam footage of me rolling through the intersection?"

Andreasen:
    "can't show you now you can see it later."

Me:
    "officer I'd like to see the dash cam footage"

Andreasen:
    **Avoids the question because now my sister begins to chime in about his partner flashing the light into the car**

His partner was flashing a high beam light into the car expect he wasnt moving it around he literally had it focused on my sister. She asked what the reason for that was.

Andreasen:
    "We are approaching a dark car at night, we don't know if you got guns/drugs in here."

At that point my sister gets mad about the flashlight and the fact Andreasen has been raising his voice throughout the entire encounter and begins saying "fuck you" "fat fuck" to the officers. I try to calm her down in front of them. I remained extremely calm throughout the ordeal not once raising my voice or speaking in a derogatory fashion.

I really was bewildered as to the fact the two of them came out, but my guess is they are on a drug/gun/gang operation team and my car seemed to be a jackpot.

Anyways they go back to the car and run my license hoping to find warrants or anything, obviously they find nothing. Cop comes back and fines me with a $388 violation ticket for failure to stop at the stop sign.

Andreasen:
    *hands me ticket* "Do you have any questions"

Me:
    "I just don't understand the necessity of your abrasive nature, and coming back with a flashlight a second time with your partner when you've already established there's nothing in the car"

Andreasen:
    *Raises voice even higher* "I don't tell you how to do your job don't tell me how to do mine" *begins going on semi-rant about how his job is to protect citizens

"so any further questions"

Me:
    "I don't have any at the moment, but I look forward to seeing you again next month"

Andreasen:
    *Slight pause* "You're planning to fight the ticket?"

Me:
    "Yes I hope to see you again at the trial"

Andreasen:
    "I encourage you to fight the ticket"

Me:
    "I will"

Andreasen:
    "Well have a good night, again, I encourage you to fight the ticket"

Me:
    "Have a good night officer"

My sister:
    "fuck you fat fuck"

At that point I was fairly mad at my sister for saying that. I don't understand why she had to yell it again, but nonetheless we were on our way.

At this point I'm trying to formulate my case. Any thoughts and considerations would help. I will appear at the court house and I do not plan on speaking about how abrasive the cops were. Its a waste of time for me in my opinion. What I'm going there for is because I am completely innocent. I did no wrong, I did not break a single law.

Later the same night I went back to that intersection just to watch cars as they approached it. I saw over 60 cars and can confirm about 2-3 cars actually came to a complete stop, every single other car (including a few marked CPS cars) approach the intersection, make sure to look around for traffic, slow down further (but never to a full stop) and then proceed. It's very common, Its the safe thing to do. I can guarantee that 98% of this forum will approach their next stop sign in a similar fashion. Its human nature, its the safe thing to do, and is the sign of a vigilant driver. There were a few people who blew through the intersection altogether, I cannot defend their actions.

But here's the thing. I actually did come to a stop. It's a stop sign. I slowed my car to 0kmh, which for all intents and purposes is coming to a stop. At an otherwise empty intersection I still looked all around to make sure it was safe to proceed.

My argument at that point (court) would be to see the dash cam footage that officer Andreasen refused to show me when I asked for it.

My Ride
    2013 Civic LX

For the record, what I care about is justice folks.

If the cop shows up, with the dash cam footage of my car ignoring a stop sign and rolling through it, I'd be more than delighted to pay the fine that day at the courthouse cashier's office.

What I don't want to do is pay a fine for something I didn't do.

The interaction the cop had with other patrons in the car is not my problem. If the cop wanted to start a problem about it, he would have done so with the patron in the car and given them a write up or whatever. The point is, the only dispute here is a ticket for Failure to Stop at a Stop Sign.

This isn't my first rodeo, and likely won't be my last.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

For the record, what I care about is justice folks.

If the cop shows up, with the dash cam footage of my car ignoring a stop sign and rolling through it, I'd be more than delighted to pay the fine that day at the courthouse cashier's office.

What I don't want to do is pay a fine for something I didn't do.

The interaction the cop had with other patrons in the car is not my problem. If the cop wanted to start a problem about it, he would have done so with the patron in the car and given them a write up or whatever. The point is, the only dispute here is a ticket for Failure to Stop at a Stop Sign.

This isn't my first rodeo, and likely won't be my last.
    Even if there is no dash cam footage, you are still going to be up against the word of the two officers who will probably show up for sure, all things considered. Just because there is no dash cam footage, doesn't mean it gets tossed automatically.

My Ride
    2013 Civic LX

Also, I really don't see how me asking simple questions is somehow seen negatively.

I've been pulled over many times, and I always start off with the question "What seems to be the problem officer?". And they usually tell me what I did, whether I was caught speeding or didn't have a seatbelt. And my usual reaction is silence because they were right and I see it wrong to fight with justice because they are correct in that case.

I've never once had a cop react like officer Andreasen did. Most of the time they're pretty polite and are happy to answer questions I have and sometimes it forms into a nice quick roadside conversation and I'm on my way. I don't have anything against cops as a whole despite the comments of my sister. Like I said, I was really calm during this encounter.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

1. Any driver's training will tell you to count to three before proceeding from a stop sign
    2. Your car 100% fits the description of a known dealer in the area
    3. Pics of sister (cause no one has said it yet!)

My Ride
    2013 Civic LX

Even if there is no dash cam footage, you are still going to be up against the word of the two officers who will probably show up for sure, all things considered. Just because there is no dash cam footage, doesn't mean it gets tossed automatically.
    Assuming what you've said is true then why would they repeatedly lie and tell me they got it on camera and that they have a dash cam?

My Ride
    2013 Civic LX

Originally posted by ercchry
    [B]1. Any driver's training will tell you to count to three before proceeding from a stop sign
    Yep I've heard it too. But it's just a recommendation, not law. Coming to a stop at a stop sign literally means, coming to a stop at a stop sign.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 11 ... LastLast