Quantcast
Calgary Police Association president Les Kaminski to be charged with perjury - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Calgary Police Association president Les Kaminski to be charged with perjury

My Ride

Default Calgary Police Association president Les Kaminski to be charged with perjury

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...ault-1.3938377

Interesting comments on Reddit/Calgary:

CPA president lying under oath, in court. Think about this, and the repercussions...... has this happened before? How many times has this man been in court, and how many lies have been told that people are sitting in jail for, as we freely type on our computers?

Put yourself in the shoes of the offender, who potentially did nothing wrong at all, but rub this man the wrong way.

Now consider the powers this man has, to arrest you, lie about why you were arrested, and impact your whole life, based on lies. Put you in jail, give you a criminal record, restrict your travel, impose conditions, make you acquire a lawyer that you can't afford, invest 10's of 000's into a legal system that you shouldn't even be involved with, but you have no voice, because you're behind bars, and he's in court, lying.

If he got caught today, what other instances did this happen? How many times did these lies go unnoticed by the court?

This could be you, it could be me, it could be your daughter, son, mother, father, grandparents.

This shit affects a persons life. It affects their jobs, it bankrupts them to lawyers, it affects their person as a whole. It affects relationships with family, it affects school, it affects everything.
    This cannot happen.

This is the same guy who just a couple weeks back was advocating for names of criminally charged police officers to be exempt from publication? This will likely hurt their "94%" approval rating.

Worst part about it is it took NINE years to bring any kind of charge against him.

This is what's concerning to me - FTA, "Supt. Steve Barlow with the Calgary Police Service said Tuesday a review was conducted after the 2011 trial, but it was determined a wider investigation was not necessary. He said in hindsight the police should have investigated."
    The police investigate themselves, that's asking for corruption.

First things first, he hasn't been found guilty yet, so let's cool the "how many times has he lied under oath, how many innocent people are in jail because of him" type of talk. The charges in and of themself are extremely concerning obviously but it important not to jump to all kinds of conclusions here, yet.

I do agree with the lengthy timeline to bring charges however.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

My Ride
    2002 330xi, 1992 Miata, 1996 Spec Miata, 2012 Ram

What concerns me most is that he got the position of Calgary Police Association President while under ASIRT investigation. Any group that wants to be trusted and respected should be elevating only those who's ethics are beyond reproach, I find it hard to believe that there are no officers who would could represent the force without this type of potential issue hanging over them.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Originally posted by Stuart
    What concerns me most is that he got the position of Calgary Police Association President while under ASIRT investigation. Any group that wants to be trusted and respected should be elevating only those who's ethics are beyond reproach, I find it hard to believe that there are no officers who would could represent the force without this type of potential issue hanging over them.
    This exactly. The whole reason he was put in his position is to try to help the solidarity of the force and to improve internal and public discontent about relatively recent inappropriate police conduct. Now, it only appears to have had the opposite effect and has merely perpetuated the problem.

I know this is unfair and highly judgemental, but the very first time I saw him on the news he looked like a creep to me. Which is odd - since one cannot determine that simply by a "look" - yet, that's how I felt. When he spoke, I got a feeling he had a huge ego and seemed to be an arrogant prick. But yet, I cannot exactly put my finger on why I felt that way.

Then, almost immediately after, he's being accused of stuff. Go figure.

Should Les Kaminski be found guilty, won't any previous case he touched be open to investigation? Smoke, fire and all that jazz. This happened on a tv series, The Wire perhaps.

Who elects someone under investigation for illegal acts? Oh, yeah this reminds me of someone... #trumpwillbecharged
    Last edited by Tenkara Way; 01-20-2017 at 12:20 AM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Dude just got elected as CPA Prez, was going to start fighting the bosses on some labor issues and a 8 year old case resurface just in time and charges him?

Something is fishy here.

My Ride
    ute

Can't roll those stop signs, son.

My Ride

Originally posted by Xtrema
    Dude just got elected as CPA Prez, was going to start fighting the bosses on some labor issues and a 8 year old case resurface just in time and charges him?

Something is fishy here.
    If it wasn't for the fact that ASIRT had been investigating since 2014 you may have a case.
    Do you really think they are in on this? and the prosecutor who filed the charges?

Off topic but has anyone received telemarketing calls for anti-bullying on behalf of either the Calgary Police Association or Canadian Police Association? (can't recall which of the two they claimed to be representing).

I have been trying to figure out if this is a scam or a legit fundraising campaign. I thought it was probably a scam because the caller was a real dick and wouldn't take no for an answer. My elderly mother ended up having to hang up on this joker, something which she normally would never do out of politeness. But then I found the below link stating that the CPA (Canadian Police Association) actually are (or were) conducting an anti-bullying campaign. Seems in pretty poor taste and rather ironic to essentially be bullying people into donating money to an anti-bullying campaign.

http://infotel.ca/newsitem/anti-bull...volved/it21023
    Last edited by Mixalot27; 01-19-2017 at 05:25 PM.

The reddit comments were spot on with many of the concerns. I find it amusing someone says dont jump to conclusions but we can look to a recent ticket thread where everyones blaming the op and casting judgement. But hey dont do that here...

Originally posted by Xtrema

Something is fishy here.
    Thats the police taking their sweet time on things. Nothing just resurfaced. The number of years is a ridiculous amount of time to lay charges.... i wonder what the delay was.

Originally posted by gwill
    I find it amusing someone says dont jump to conclusions but we can look to a recent ticket thread where everyones blaming the op and casting judgement. But hey dont do that here...
    That's not exactly accurate but that usual doesn't deter you when you think a statement like this fits your narrative.

The only one in this thread that said don't jump to conclusions is me. I didn't jump to conclusions in the others thread either. Posters who did jump to conclusions and pass judgement in the other thread have or are likely to do the same in this thread. There's already comments about how his appearance was "creep" and he looked guilty.

I know you really, really, really want the equation to always be citizen=good officer=bad but there's often more to it than that.
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

guess a vote went out to all police officers to see if they wanted the guy to stay in charge. The vote came back as a resounding yes. Not sure i'm surprised there.

Is it that hard to find another officer to fill his role who isnt corrupt or facing charges?

http://www.newstalk770.com/2017/01/1...r-cps-officer/

“The Calgary Police Service, the Calgary Police Commission, and the Calgary Crown Prosecutors Office should be held to account by citizens for their efforts to sweep all of this under the carpet. Obviously very serious misconduct by police officers. It’s disgraceful and it’s embarrassing.”

the arrest of Jason Arkinstall on Aug. 31, 2008 in Calgary, as well as the evidence given during the man’s January 2014

Not taking sides but holy pot meet kettle. Hey criminal defense lawyer, how about the fact the criminal trial took 5.5 years for a simple assault charge? That seems pretty disgraceful and embarrassing too. How much of that rests on the Criminal Trial Lawyer’s Association members?

My Ride

Originally posted by OU812
    http://www.newstalk770.com/2017/01/1...r-cps-officer/

“The Calgary Police Service, the Calgary Police Commission, and the Calgary Crown Prosecutors Office should be held to account by citizens for their efforts to sweep all of this under the carpet. Obviously very serious misconduct by police officers. It’s disgraceful and it’s embarrassing.”

the arrest of Jason Arkinstall on Aug. 31, 2008 in Calgary, as well as the evidence given during the man’s January 2014

Not taking sides but holy pot meet kettle. Hey criminal defense lawyer, how about the fact the criminal trial took 5.5 years for a simple assault charge? That seems pretty disgraceful and embarrassing too. How much of that rests on the Criminal Trial Lawyer’s Association members?
    That article seems to have some information wrong in it, most of the others I have seen have indicated that the trial ended in 2011 and the ASIRT investigation started in 2014.