Quantcast
ChassisFlex Motorsports - CRC 2017 Thread - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: ChassisFlex Motorsports - CRC 2017 Thread

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Beyond gofundme to get Temp a gopro setup!

I would love to see the footage too!
    It'll be taken care of for the next event, its not a good thing when TSN asks for incar footage and you don't have any to give them!

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by gretz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Does that civic happen to have teal on the inside? Looks strikingly close to one of the weapons of mass destruction i used to daily lol...

That carbon hood and pins looks close, glad to see the old pig farm special didnt go to waste

Keep up the pics and such, great read
    No sir, this car is originally from out east, its been a rally car for almost two decades Thanks for liking the thread, glad that people are enjoying it!

So now, a tale of sadness. The Rocky Mountain Rally was at the end of May. We were pretty stoked for it, the car was in fine shape after a little bit of clean up work from Perce Neige, and I FINALLY got the thing to not miss anymore above ~5k rpm. That's right, I've been racing the car for over a year with a miss above 5k rpm. Not as big of a deal as you'd think as with restrictors, we shift before 6k rpm as the motor can't breathe on the top end, but still makes things difficult. An example:

That's not a rev limiter, that's the car breaking up. I've spent over 100 hours diagnosing this issue, turned out to be a setting in the Vipec that was setup wrong at one point for the Camshaft Position Sensor (the trigger voltage was wrong, these cars are notorious for mediocre signals from the CPS as it is a hall effect sensor that generates its own mV signal). Now I was pulling to 8k if I wanted no problems, success!

The car before we put it on the trailer (sofaking pretty, which makes the next bit even sadder )

On the way to Invermere:

Only video I got of the car, cut from the CRC outtakes:

And then I did this on the first stage:

Pushed the strut tower through the firewall. The car in theory could be fixed, but for the $$$, I am just going to build a new shell. I'm past the point of screwing around, so the week of, I got a new shell:

2006 STi shell. I had serious plans for it, but then took a step back. What I want/need to do is rally. I'm fast, but not consistent enough (fast or crash). So this shell is being prepped slowly, and will be an open class monster to debut next year. We're talking the full nine yards, good enough to run at the front with a sequential and everything.

But for now, I am doing a basic prep on a world rally blue 2002 WRX shell I have. It will literally be the same car, I might even paint/wrap it black to confuse people that I fixed the old one

So I spent 1.5 days and competely stripped the old car to the bones.

Before:

Engine and tranny out:

Only the rear diff left to drop out:

New shell gets stripped this weekend, sandblasted, and then sent off for a cage. The goal is to have a car ready for Defi, which is the 2nd weekend of September! :o

In other news, we've brought new sponsors onboard We're proud to be working with Scott Subaru and I've dealt with Scott Subaru for years, even have pictures hanging up in their offices from 2008, and this year we finally put a deal together to help us out and promote them across Western Canada. As a homegrown Red Deer boy, it's a good fit!
    Last edited by HiTempguy1; 07-20-2017 at 08:03 PM.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Been a while since an update, figured there has been action so I'd bump this up.

The black shell was put on hold to build this blue shell because I wanted the black hawkeye to be my nice build in 2018.

But I've been busy with this whole business thing I have going on, so progress has been slow until recently.

Finished Product

Then back to car prep:

Cage

More prep

I can now drop a rear subframe in about 10 minutes

Cut apart the airbox to get it behind the dash bar which is now welded in, jbwelded and foil taped it back together to seal it

After cage/logbook inspection

Highway2 between Red Deer and the shop, took me 2 hours to drive on Monday, whiteout conditions, accidents happening in front of me at 40km/h, cars going off into the ditch, madness

This much snow in a couple hours

And now today. #1 concern is DCCD and AVCS wiring. Not hard, but needs to get done. Everything else is basically bolt in and go. Going to be a long 5 days before we leave for Tall Pines in Ontario...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2