Quantcast
Mk7 GTI v. Focus ST - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Mk7 GTI v. Focus ST

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Default Mk7 GTI v. Focus ST

Been googling and googling... and there is a TON! on this topic... But why the hell not bring it up again

I currently have a '15 GTI and never thought I would ever say this as this is my 4th VW and bleed VW... But the new Focus ST is very appealing to me.

They are almost on par when it comes to stats, but I guess as far as maintenence goes how would you guys rate them apart???

All I can speak to is the Mk7 GTI (2015) from my experience...

Every single VW I have had in my life has had some sort of major electrical gremlin, and with the new MK7 being so electical heavy, I am almost just waiting for something to go haha... But in all reality, the car has been excelent.

Everything feels like it has a perfect place, and is a classy, fun and smooth car to drive as a daily. I average 7.x km/100L according to the VW Computer system. My car has an APR Stage 1 tune and is peppy as hell.

I am able to jam pack the GTI moving, 3 hockey bags and 3 of us with no issue... So definitely a huge fan of the cargo space!! With the high lip on the hatch of the ST, I see the car being less than ideal for cargo...

I test drove a 400A the other day and found the Focus almost shifted better than the GTI though, a more pronounced throw and a smoother feel throughout. However, the 400A just seems cheap and would likely go 401 or nothing. when it comes to the Focus.

.... As you can tell, i'm all over the place, but what are your thoughts? Try and stay unbiased haha!

My Ride
    teslo murdel free

No electrical issues at all, really other than regular maintenance nothing really goes on. The only thing that sucks with Ford is the terrible service from the dealerships

My Ride
    17 Tacoma trd OR

I've had the "key out of range" message with the kessy system once in a while but that was the closest to an electrical issue.

Have you guys done the fuel suction pump recall? Mine was not properly done the first time around and resulted in sporadic loss of acceleration and even stall while driving. Pretty scary, but I assume it was isolated to the improper recall work.

Have had zero other issues in 40K and I have been Neuspeed power module tuned most of the time.
    Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Also, if he donkey kicks, you donkey punch!

My Ride
    NC1

VW for life lol

Can't do Ford, sorry bro lol
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    CBR600rr, MK7

Originally posted by rizfarmer
    I've had the "key out of range" message with the kessy system once in a while but that was the closest to an electrical issue.

Have you guys done the fuel suction pump recall? Mine was not properly done the first time around and resulted in sporadic loss of acceleration and even stall while driving. Pretty scary, but I assume it was isolated to the improper recall work.

Have had zero other issues in 40K and I have been Neuspeed power module tuned most of the time.
    Done my recall. No issues whatsoever.

Can't wait for my jb4 to arrive tho

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Originally posted by max_boost
    VW for life lol

Can't do Ford, sorry bro lol
    Haha, used to think the same as well. But I would take an RS vs. R any day. The RS exhilarating enough for me to ignore the interior.

However, GTI vs. ST I'm not sure. I'd likely go GTI for interior quality.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Not going to lie but I felt the my Focus ST was more fun to drive than my Golf R. The steering feel is better and it feels like a smaller car at speed. I had no issues with my ST as it was a tight car. Golf interior has nicer materials but I felt the Focus interior while getting a little dated is perfectly functional and materials decent enough. The only downside of a Ford IMO is that depreciation can be steep but you can offset that by buying at the right time of the year where rebates are the best or employee pricing.

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

I'd personally only take the vw but I don't think either is bad. A guy at work has had a few issues with his st but nothing major and he always gets a loaner.

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

Didn't Ford update the Focus interior in 2015? I drove a friend's RS and the interior seemed pretty decent to me.

If your GTI doesn't have the PP maybe go test drive one of those. They are supposed to handle significantly better