Quantcast
Etiquette on shared fence with neighbor - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Etiquette on shared fence with neighbor

My Ride
    '08 AW E92 335i

Arrow Etiquette on shared fence with neighbor

Just wondering what your stance is on sharing a fence with a neighbor. Do you split the cost only if both parties are in agreement. Would you pay for half if your neighbor went ahead and built the fence and then tried billing you for half?

At our old place, one of our neighbors approached us on sharing the cost for a fence. He brought me the cost of the materials and he wanted to do it right away so I agreed to pay half the cost of the materials and he did all the labor himself. I had no issue with that, but I'm sure it comes up a lot where some neighbors aren't willing to split the cost.

We are currently building a new house which we take possession of next month. Both houses on each side to us have been completed for about a year and both of them built a fence as well. Our house backs onto the coulees so I won't need to cap it off at the back since the community has a fence in place already.

Having said that, would it be fair to pay half the cost of each fence that was built around my property? Since the work was done before there was a house on either side of my neighbors and I had no say, would it be a dick move to not want to pay half if asked to reimburse them for the fence? Not saying I won't, or that they will even ask but just curious.

Your thoughts?

My Ride
    This and that.

Depends on what kind of neighbour you want to be I guess. By the same token, if they ask; that also shows what kind of neighbours they are. Technically you aren't required to share the cost as you didn't own the land when they built them but if you say no after they ask, obviously the relationship is not off to a great start.

My Ride
    TDi

If it was up to me I would end up paying, asked or not asked, because I plan on living in my house for the next 15 years +. You want to have a good relationship with your neighbour and not paying might ruin the relationship from the start.
    GO FLAMES GO!

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Originally posted by 403ep3
    If it was up to me I would end up paying, asked or not asked, because I plan on living in my house for the next 15 years +. You want to have a good relationship with your neighbour and not paying might ruin the relationship from the start.

This. New houses yes. Old houses...I'd err on the side of no.

But for my scenario, my house has already had 3 previous owners. 16+ years have gone by. None of them has paid. Should I be oligated to pay now? I shovel his sidewalk doe to be nice
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    '08 AW E92 335i

Originally posted by 403ep3
    Hmm I thought about it, yet I also would have preferred to do my own fence so I could have done it a little differently and would have liked to have it match on both sides. On one side they have used a concrete base all the way through, so I imagine that wouldn't be cheap. Would I have done that myself? Probably not. Now I may have to spend a lot more then what I have budgeted for.

My plan was to put up something temporary for my dog and then do it later on as I will have a lot of other expenses to pay for inside the house first. AC, window coverings, furniture etc.

Also if I just happen to want to pay for it without them asking, do I go over with a blank cheque and ask what they spent? What if he has no receipts or quotes or he tries to over charge me without proof of what he spent and he is including his labor as costs? Being an exceptional neighbor could come at a huge cost to me, and the relationship can go sour if I know they are trying to rip me off.

It's not so simple.
    Last edited by funkedelic2; 01-21-2017 at 05:05 PM.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

If they approach, I'd pay half of materials if they could actually dig up receipts for it.

Are the fences on the property line for sure?
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    TDi

In that case where they went all out on a fence I would just pay half of what a regular fence would cost. It's definitely a tough situation you are in.

I'm at the point where the land next to me hasn't sold, but I'm looking to build a fence soon for privacy. I doubt the home builder is willing to split so I have to decide if I feel like paying for the whole thing.. and possibly getting half reimbursed when the new neighbour moves in. I don't think I would ask them to pay though (maybe)
    GO FLAMES GO!

My Ride
    93 INTEGRA

You likey have the crappy side of the fence in your yard. I'd pay nothing and not worry about it. You didn't live there when they were built and weren't consulted on style or cost.

My Ride
    AECO

I would take a wait and see approach.
    The ball is in their court so see if they bring it up. If/when they do you can evaluate what kind of neighbors they have been to that date and how to proceed.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Absolutely wait and see. If I was them, and wanted my fence up right away and did it, I certainly wouldnt then ask my future neighbour to compensate me later. This isn't to say they won't, but why cost yourself needlessly to offer yourself. Wait for them to approach you. And if they do, you should have your game plan ready. You are under no legal obligation to do anything. In fact, if they did it fully legally, the fence should be on *their* sides and not half and half on the property line.

I am building and just met the neighbour on one side today. The dude is 86, and built his own fence on the opposite side where he has an existing neighbour. I'm lucky, as hes willing to build our side as well. (Ill do the heavy lifting, of course)

My Ride
    Saab 9-5

I'd say no and i don't think they will ask either.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/The_Smoking_Man_(X-Files).jpg

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

We went through this 3 months ago.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/400588/qu...about-a-fence/

Why would you pay? You weren't there when it was built.

And what's all this nonsense with "good neighbors"...to be a good neighbor you have to financially burden yourself for something you had no input on? I think a good neighbor is someone who minds their own business, shovels snow and mows their grass, doesn't bother me and gives a pleasant hello when we see each other. Is a neighbor supposed to be more then that?

I had my fence built before my neighbor had purchased the lot. I never asked for payment once he moved in but if he offered I would have taken it. I don't think it's fair to ask him for half since I chose to build it. I put it on my property as well in case he ended causing problems but we get along great. I did have both sides built the same so he didn't get the shitty side.