Quantcast
Hardwood vs engineered hardwood vs laminate wood vs tile flooring - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Hardwood vs engineered hardwood vs laminate wood vs tile flooring

My Ride
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230, 1968 Chevy Impala

Ya my folks have had their hardwood refinished 3 times I think. One of those was on my dime as I had a hookah going when I was a teen, and the cat went after the rabbit fur lined hose knocking the coal off onto the hardwood. About 2 dozens little burn marks from the hot coal shattering. FML I was an idiot.
    1968 Impala: Status: Stored
    1977 Dodge Triple E RV: Sold
    1989 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL: Sold
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230: Cruising
    2000 Bluebird TC2000: Build phase of skoolie project
    2018 Rav4 XLE: New baby friendly daily

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Bumping old thread because the carpet in the two kids bedrooms is trashed, and we need something more durable. Not baller enough for $12/square foot tile, so will be either "engineered" hardwood or click-together LVF.
    Have a relative to just bought a bunch of this and they are pleased. My mom loves the LVF in her kitchen. Want something that I can scrub crafting accidents off of without issue, and something that can handle small water/paint spills without damage.
    https://www.homedepot.ca/product/opt...se-/1001210047

This looks Okay?
    https://www.lowes.ca/product/vinyl-p...79-in-l-847854
    and this:
    https://timbertown.ca/product/5-2mm-spc-coveside/

What do I need to know? Probably doing this myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    This and that.

Yea I would do the luxury planks if you like the hardwood look. The best part is that it's waterproof. Good quality luxury planks can cost as much as hardwood though but I do feel the better durability of luxury planks is a big plus.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

We just did the whole lake house in the $$$ wood look tile things.

I actually really don’t like it if I was to be brutally honest, I’m sure it will wear better than real hardwood but I find it painfully obvious that it’s not real and I find the floors quite gritty feeling if you don’t vacuum 3-4 times a day (thank god for roomba).

I’d just go with engineered hardwood next time if i had to choose. We had a “hand scraped” style engineered hardwood in my last place and it was surprisingly durable with pets etc. And just accept that you might want to redo it in 10 years? There are also far hardier finishes than what I had.

I think the tiles have their place, like in a bathroom or something, but I wouldn’t do it across the entire main floor again.

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

I quite like the LVP. Ordered from Westvalley flooring. I found their installation quite high but their product prices were great!
    https://www.mohawkflooring.com/luxur...h-By-Chocolate

Now I just need to find an installer. Anyone here know of good flooring installers? Was going to DIY it but I want to do the 45 degree angled style so I should probably find someone more skilled than me to do it haha

My Ride
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230, 1968 Chevy Impala

After 3 years, no damage to report on the engineered wood. It’s the whole main floor and kitchen. Lots of water on it from the sink/dishes. Lots of abuse from the excited pup. Also enduring abuse from a very active toddler. We got it from divine floors.

Last edited by cycosis; 09-15-2020 at 09:55 PM.
    1968 Impala: Status: Stored
    1977 Dodge Triple E RV: Sold
    1989 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL: Sold
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230: Cruising
    2000 Bluebird TC2000: Build phase of skoolie project
    2018 Rav4 XLE: New baby friendly daily

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

My personal experience with Mint Flooring was not positive.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Bump!

Any further thoughts on Luxury Vinyl Plank (LVP) vs. Engineered Hardwood flooring?

Builder is offering us the choice, with LVP being ever so slightly cheaper, for the entire main level (includes bathroom and kitchen). We've got a dog and a toddler so durability is important. They're using Divine Flooring for both products which seem to be of fairly good quality. I'm leaning towards the LVP with it being waterproof and easier to clean but don't like how it's only 5mm thick.

Conflicting information on the interwebz about how good Engineered Hardwood is in areas that can get wet (kitchen & bathroom)

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I'd take LVP for wet areas without question.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by 94boosted View Post
    Bump!

Any further thoughts on Luxury Vinyl Plank (LVP) vs. Engineered Hardwood flooring?

Builder is offering us the choice, with LVP being ever so slightly cheaper, for the entire main level (includes bathroom and kitchen). We've got a dog and a toddler so durability is important. They're using Divine Flooring for both products which seem to be of fairly good quality. I'm leaning towards the LVP with it being waterproof and easier to clean but don't like how it's only 5mm thick.

Conflicting information on the interwebz about how good Engineered Hardwood is in areas that can get wet (kitchen & bathroom)
    I'd take LVP everytime. ive had all 3 and I wouldn't go back to hardwood.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

LVP all day.

Don't use anything that doesn't have a 12mil wear layer.
    Last edited by JRSC00LUDE; 12-11-2020 at 09:43 AM.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Thanks for the tips gents.

Yup 12mil wear layer.

When LVP is installed on a main level, aka level floor is it typically glued down or installed as floating?

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Update on our tiled main floor.... we have tons of grout cracking issues. And have had many tiles hammered out and replaced by the builder or a couple occasions due to grout cracking and tiles popping. We usually go around and repair the cracked grout twice a year but it keeps happening.

Even will those issue I still prefer it to hardwood. It is 100% indestructible (the tile itself) and we still really like it.

My Ride
    Canyonero

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    Update on our tiled main floor.... we have tons of grout cracking issues. And have had many tiles hammered out and replaced by the builder or a couple occasions due to grout cracking and tiles popping. We usually go around and repair the cracked grout twice a year but it keeps happening.

Even will those issue I still prefer it to hardwood. It is 100% indestructible (the tile itself) and we still really like it.
    The problem you describe is not a defect with the tile or grouting but the rigidity (specifically; lack thereof) of your shitty OSB subfloor. No amount of fixes or re-grouting will ever fix it.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Quote Originally Posted by prae View Post
    The problem you describe is not a defect with the tile or grouting but the rigidity (specifically; lack thereof) of your shitty OSB subfloor. No amount of fixes or re-grouting will ever fix it.
    Its double osb. But yes there's just way too much movement of the sub floor in the swing seasons... fucks everything up.

My Ride
    Canyonero

Its double osb. But yes there's just way too much movement of the sub floor in the swing seasons... fucks everything up.
    Interesting. Double OSB you'd think would be plenty stiff; wonder if it's absorbing moisture/humidity and swelling.

My Ride
    79 Country Squire 95 Deville 09 Jeep JK

Its not recommended to tile over OSB without a membrane like Ditra.

Yup 12mil wear layer.

When LVP is installed on a main level, aka level floor is it typically glued down or installed as floating?
    We just put vinyl throughout our main floor on top of the existing hardwood and love it so far. We had a pool party in the summer and it was so nice not having to worry about the kids coming inside soaking wet for snacks and drinks.

Hate to say this but your tile floor is toast. Cracking grout is already a tell tale of loose tile and if the tiles are popping they straight fucked the install. If you're lucky you will get to replace the grout a couple times a year but id put my money on that floor completely failing in a couple years. You need to get warranty on that floor if you can. You also shouldnt have 2 layers of OSB, Its most likely OSB on bottom and plywood on top, lift up the heat vents and post a pic if not sure. If it is in fact 2 layers of OSB thats your problem, tile shouldnt be installed on OSB

Take a butter knife and hold it straight up and down then bounce it lightly on the tile and you should be able to hear its hollow, you can also put your finger on the edge of the tile and then bounce the butter knife and you'll most likely feel some movement.
    Last edited by Rocket1k78; 12-11-2020 at 03:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

As is echoed already, your problems are bad install/bad substrate. That sucks.

- - - Updated - - -

Yup 12mil wear layer.

Depends on the floor It's either a glue down product or a floating. Some can be done either way. Just download the technical specs and installation instructions of the product.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Its osb + 3/8" spruce plywood. Didn't think we were getting that technical lol.

There has been a couple tiles come loose that 'pop' when you step on an end of them that have since been replaces. There are still 1 or 2 spots that pop and a couple spots where grout has cracked (which we'll repair again).

I'm not sure I'm looking at total floor failure but we definitely have expansion/contraction issues. Or we had settlement issues. Or both.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

click for larger version

click for larger version

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast