Quantcast
Hardwood vs engineered hardwood vs laminate wood vs tile flooring - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Hardwood vs engineered hardwood vs laminate wood vs tile flooring

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Originally posted by dirtsniffer
    my parents have oak hardwood, raised 4 kids, 4 grandkids, dogs, and cats. the floor still looks great.
    How many times was it refinished? That seems like a lot of traffic and potential damage to still look great.

I'm sure a lot of it has to do with the hardness level of the wood. Wood can get damn hard depending on the species, but the vast majority of them are just too soft for larger or more powerful dogs.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by revelations
    Rages' floor looks almost exactly like our vinyl plank we have in our bathrooms right now (will do the rest of the house the same).
    Both LVP and tile have gone a long way. I tried out a couple of LVP options and didn't like how it felt on my feet, which was a dead giveaway that it wasn't hardwood. In hindsight, LVP might've been better for noise, when the kids rip through in their power wheels, it's fucking loud as fuck in the basement with the tile.

Only real downside to LVP is resale value really if you're ok with how it feels. People are still anal when buying houses with vinyl flooring, regardless of how good it is these days.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by mazdavirgin
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janka_hardness_test

Seems relevant...
    Dents aren't typically the problem with hardwood, it's scratching the coating.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

my parents have oak hardwood, raised 4 kids, 4 grandkids, dogs, and cats. the floor still looks great.
    +1 on the refinishing.

Plus what color is it? Bet its something really light and probably matte in finish and its hiding the scratches/damage.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Dents aren't typically the problem with hardwood, it's scratching the coating.
    90lbs dog doesn't really have sharp nails... so floors are not so much scratched finish wise... but the "scratches" he leaves are deep and plentiful in the high traffic areas... floors are maple but a dark finish

Originally posted by 88CRX
    Rage or Dave, any chance you know the manufacture/model number for that tile? Or roughly what the material cost on that tile was?
    It was the Edonwood series from Stone Tile.
    Jinx was the colour.
    Retails for around $11 a foot IIRC.

https://www.stone-tile.com/collection/tile/edonwood
    Last edited by C_Dave45; 01-23-2017 at 01:49 PM.

My Ride
    toyota MR2

I am going to do luxury vinyl in my basement sourced through Divine floors. The manufacturer is HARO. Looks like quality stuff. Anyone have experience with it? Its thicker than some of the other brands, doesn't require an underlay but they suggest laying poly first.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Originally posted by C_Dave45

It was the Edonwood series from Stone Tile.
    Jinx was the colour.
    Retails for around $11 a foot IIRC.

https://www.stone-tile.com/collection/tile/edonwood
    Nice, thanks Dave!

Did you use a narrow grout width to get it really looking like real hardwood floors? Or is that not advised?

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by rage2

Both LVP and tile have gone a long way. I tried out a couple of LVP options and didn't like how it felt on my feet, which was a dead giveaway that it wasn't hardwood. In hindsight, LVP might've been better for noise, when the kids rip through in their power wheels, it's fucking loud as fuck in the basement with the tile.

Only real downside to LVP is resale value really if you're ok with how it feels. People are still anal when buying houses with vinyl flooring, regardless of how good it is these days.
    Yea esp. with kids, Vinyl plank is good in so many ways vs tile: less noise, less chance of serious head injury after a fall (vs tile), warmer than tile, less chance of breakage if something hard is dropped (eg.ceramic) etc.

With the flooring appearing as planks, it avoids the whole Vinyl flooring look - but perhaps not feel to those with sensitive feet
    Last edited by revelations; 01-23-2017 at 05:37 PM.

I agree. Did a full hardwood restore a few years back as the flooring was from the 40's. I'd encourage others to have a pro do the job as it is a chore, rather expensive and never as good as a pro might do.

Yeah, I can power sand a couple thousand feet of wood floor, obviously a low skill job like mowing a lawn... Never again.
    Last edited by Tenkara Way; 01-23-2017 at 05:56 PM.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by Tenkara Way

I agree. Did a full hardwood restore a few years back as the flooring was from 1940. I'd encourage others to have a pro do the job as it is a chore, rather expensive and never as good as a pro might do.

Yeah, I can power sand a couple thousand feet of wood floor, obviously a low skill job like mowing a lawn... Never again.
    The sanding part is pretty easy with the right tools, trick is to not nick the pads... that's when it gets expensive. Need a good duct and furnace cleaning after though, probably still have excessive dust for a while after in the house

we have tile hardwood on the main floor and would highly recommend it. I also thought it would be cold initially but never had any issue. However, I wouldnt put it in a basement as there im guessing it would be cold.

Nice, thanks Dave!

Did you use a narrow grout width to get it really looking like real hardwood floors? Or is that not advised?
    Yeah, very tight joints. 1/16th"

My Ride
    Silverado

+1 on the refinishing.

Plus what color is it? Bet its something really light and probably matte in finish and its hiding the scratches/damage.
    true story, light stain.

Looks like you've got some good ideas but yea I vote an eff no for engineered hardwood.

Our home has some supposedly good/expensive stuff and it is the crappiest and least durable flooring I've ever seen. Granted we used to foster dogs as well as have our own. The dogs playing and draging their bones around destroyed the floor in less than a year. Also engineered hardwood is really sensitive to moisture from what I've found.

Good real hardware seems to be a bit better but my parents flooring after 20 years of dogs has degraded pretty bad.

Meanwhile my gf's parents house that is done up in tile on the main floor shows almost zero signs of wear after about 20 years.

Those tiles rage has look sick. If I could afford it that is exactly what I'd do.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

What about bamboo flooring?

Is it horrible for the humidity swings we experience?

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Originally posted by jwslam
    What about bamboo flooring?

Is it horrible for the humidity swings we experience?
    I am not sure it is any worse for humidity changes than hardwood is. Guess it depends on what you get, as it certainly can be susceptible to humidity like hardwood can be.

The thing with bamboo is that the characteristics of it varies a ton between them. You have to be really careful if you want a long lasting floor, as the way it was created and the bamboo harvested itself play a huge bearing on the durability.

Personally, I'm happy with my decision to go with LVP. Yes, I realize the softness and printed nature of it detracts from an authentic hardwood feel, but it excels in almost every other way.

My Ride
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230, 1968 Chevy Impala

I'm having wire brushed engineered floors put in my home build on the main floor. I figured smooth floors would get effed up by my pupper so with a rough finish, maybe it will hide scratches and wear a bit better.

All the puppers' toys will be upstairs as we are naively planning on the main floor being a "quiet/no play/calm energy" zone.

I think they look amazing. We'll see how it ages....

1968 Impala: Status: Stored
    1977 Dodge Triple E RV: Sold
    1989 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL: Sold
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230: Cruising
    2000 Bluebird TC2000: Build phase of skoolie project
    2018 Rav4 XLE: New baby friendly daily

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

That wire brushed look is available in some of the vinyl planks. I really like that texture. I like how it feels on the feet, and how you get a little grip, and how it looks under light.

I've got prefinished "real" hardwood in my house, and it is trashed. We have no pets, but eight years of kids has taken its toll. once kids are a little bigger, will see about that tile or vinyl.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast