Quantcast
Trump gives OK to Keystone XL pipeline - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Trump gives OK to Keystone XL pipeline

System is fucked where judges have this kind of power to waste government time and overrule stamped decisions.

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by phreezee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    System is fucked where judges have this kind of power to waste government time and overrule stamped decisions.
    This isn't North Korea. You would have politicians not required to abide by the legal system? That is a terrifying thought.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by phreezee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    This isn't North Korea. You would have politicians not abide by the legal system? That is a terrifying thought.
    Yeah, politicians can create and change laws, but they do need to abide by them. Judges interpret the laws.

If a politician wants to change a law to make it clearer or to allow (or prevent) a specific thing, they can do that through legislation.

Beleive it or not, this is exactly how the system is supposed to work.

However the blame still lies on the politicians for creating ambiguous laws that create these kind of judicial surprises.

In the case of TMX, the legislation around duty to "meaningfully consult" and "consider impacts" is horrifically unclear, and it's no wonder the courts are erring on the side of inaction. Justin troodoo could create clear legislation that affirms the rights to build pipelines after limited stakeholder consultation. But they won't.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I want this pipeline built (like a decade ago) but Trump trying to push various actions through because 'I want to' isn't how the legal system works. Then again, his latest stunt of appointing Whitaker might be deemed illegal/unconstitutional and is supporting a growing trend of a man-baby* that has somehow convinced the American people he can lead them.

*Self-made millionaire
    Ultracrepidarian

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Yeah, politicians can create and change laws, but they do need to abide by them. Judges interpret the laws.

If a politician wants to change a law to make it clearer or to allow (or prevent) a specific thing, they can do that through legislation.

Beleive it or not, this is exactly how the system is supposed to work.

However the blame still lies on the politicians for creating ambiguous laws that create these kind of judicial surprises.
    You are right. But I stand by my statement that the system is fucked. Blocking TMX caused Trudeau to waste $4.5B in our tax dollars. The latest block is costing us more and more each day. Again, fuck these judges. And the reality is, judges can be bought just like politicians can be bought, just like natives can be "consulted". That's the real world and everyone plays the game.
    Last edited by phreezee; 11-09-2018 at 12:29 PM.

If the USA delays this much longer, I'd suggest letting the USA live with a lower oil consumption level if that is what they truly want.

I mean if they make the pipeline illegal then what can be done? I mean seriously, I'd love to build a log cabin on Crown Land and then donate it to the Scouts - but if its illegal to build on Crown land - then what can be done. The law is the law.

We could always put a couple billion dollars into a silicon wafer manufacturing plant, now that Bombardier is basically done. But make no mistake, a silicon wafer plant will only employ a handful of people, and eventually obsolete many many "high functioning" human brain jobs like rocket scientists.

A wafer plant would definitely cause many people to lose jobs: Which seems to be the correct path going into the future. Something has to be done, or we will all just end up smoking weed everyday.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 11-11-2018 at 01:32 PM.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4