Quantcast
Beyond! What is your hobbies? what keeps you motivated? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Beyond! What is your hobbies? what keeps you motivated?

My Ride
    Horse

Snowboarding. I'm not very good yet, want to learn how to ride switch next season so I can work my way up to some tricks.

Cars too except I don't have a car anymore. Might get a bicycle but I think I'm too proudy for that.

Hockey and drums were both hobbies but I lack the equipment for both so now I went into songwriting instead. Some poems, some raps, it's good. Got to perform for 300 people which was cool. Trying to get back into exercise as well.

I think I might try getting into sketching. As you might have guessed, I don't have money for expensive hobbies. Maybe I'll get a job one day that can pay me nicely but in the meantime I shall continue to keep myself busy with unimportant nonsense until eventually I'm dead!

Cars, cars, cars.

My 2 gtrs keep me occupied.

Bought a metal lathe and a 4 axis cnc machine. I want to ultimately build a machine shop for personal use.

My brother got me into time pieces, but with the economy the way it is, it's been incredibly difficult to find the kinds of deals there were a couple years ago.

I also collect and build Lego. The mindstorm and collector cars/machines.

I work a great deal and consult as well. Work consumes 65% of my day, everyday. I love working. Pretty much as much as I love my woman (sometimes, more).

I have traveled pretty extensively in the last 7 years. Mostly Europe. I adore Europe. One day we will move back.

Cooking is a passion, I go out of my way to cook as many our meals as possible. I like tinkering in general. Tinkering with food can be so much more rewarding than cars. The pay off is usually measured in hours, not months and years like some of my other hobbies.

These days, left over time after spent time with my lady doesn't leave nearly enough of it for the above, minus travel ofcourse.
    Last edited by R154; 01-27-2017 at 08:36 AM.
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

My Ride
    rally pig

The ones I'm most passionate about is Travel and Photography.

Snowboarding, hiking, wall climbing, boxing to keep me active all year; bicycle as cheap commute to work.

I used to be into videogames but not as much anymore (only quick Overwatch matches now a days).

Cooking, eating, reading manga, collecting photo books are other minor hobbies of mine.

Originally posted by max_boost
    3. Simplifying things in life - does this count as hobby? The whole less is more kinda deal
    Have you watched the documentary Minimalism on Netflix?

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

I spend my money on guns and travel. No kids and a wicked wifey allows for that. Plus she likes guns and travel too so its a win.
    Travel

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

Kids eat up most of my time these days have 2 right now and a third on the way.

Weightlifting everyday I work I go its must, most of the time before work. Not looking for gains just going to Destress. I've started trying to add some different exercises.

Baseball in the summer and sking in the winter although it's been getting hard to find time to ski.

Video games are always in my life, once the kids go to bed and I have nothing else going on I get a hour in sometimes.

Goals for this year is to get a project car and hopefully that will become my new hobby. Plus we just bought a new old house and I have a bunch of things to change up in it that's kinda of a hobby.

My Ride
    changes every year

hobbies have gone by the way side for me, but I still dabble and look for things. I snowboard in the winter when I can. my kid is 7 and has been boarding for the last 3 years, albeit not much since it's hard to make a plan to go when I'm home

I also like mixing music. I was using vinyl but the demand for vinyl and the prices have scared me out.of it, so I use a controller and serato most of the time.

I just love hearing a beat and thinking that I could make a good sample out of it and mix it with something else. it's rewarding when it all works out, frustrating and time consuming as hell when it doesn't.

most of you watch guys know that I've been into watches, but I've slower down alot on that, since the ones I have rarely get worn. I started getting more into shoes and the history behind them not long ago, so that might turn out to be another hobby I pick up.

cars. cars will always be part of who I am. I haven't been able to do much in yhe last few years because of my work, but this year I'm hoping to be able to have my X1 somewhat show ready, but I still have a ways to go.

movies. that's all I ever do. I very rarely watch TV, it's always movies. now that I have a gbox, it's going to be even better.

all this is of course behind what I do for my family, they and their happiness comes first, which is why I don't have the time for the rest usually lol

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

The Civic

The Sneakers

The Legos
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

Racing cars consumes most of my hobby time, whether it's a track day, NASCC race weekend, chumpcar race. That means a lot of fixing, building, modding of cars. Over the winter I have more time to work on building my 944 turbo project car and sim racing once a week with my rennlist league.

I think a lot of people are associating interests to hobbies, but in my mind hobbies are a different animal although hard to explain explicitly.

I have many interests that I pursue to a degree, but for what I would consider hobbies I would have to say knifemaking and woodworking would be my hobbies. I am also an avid collector of interesting vintage and antique items, specifically folding knives, woodworking tools and decks of playing cards. I have items dating back into the mid 19th century, but it isn't always about age as much as interest. Some of my favourite playing card decks are WW2 era decks of Vargas and Elvgren pin-up girls etc, but I have sub-collections in various areas from advertising to souvenir to Bicycle brand and more.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by taemo
    The ones I'm most passionate about is Travel and Photography.

Snowboarding, hiking, wall climbing, boxing to keep me active all year; bicycle as cheap commute to work.

I used to be into videogames but not as much anymore (only quick Overwatch matches now a days).

Cooking, eating, reading manga, collecting photo books are other minor hobbies of mine.

Have you watched the documentary Minimalism on Netflix?
    Indeed. Of course the whole minimalism thing has been a process. Trying to keep my life stuff in order where I can go anywhere in a flash kinda thing. Been mentally preparing myself to leave my work for years haha
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

Enjoyed that Netflix documentary. For me I have sold/given away many things that we don't need or haven't touched in a while. Live simply so others can simply live :-).

My Ride
    dumpster trains

Originally posted by superflychief
    For me it's cycling in the summer when I have time, adult Lego and 8-ball.
    Adult Lego's...so like erotic Lego?
    Originally posted by speedog
    So more beyond armchair activism at work again?

My Ride
    rally pig

yeah, i've been cleaning most of the junk that i've collected in the past as well. pretty eye opening how much very little do we need to enjoy life.

ultimately i would love to just live on the road on a small camper van or SUV

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Took up Skiing.

Golf in the summer

I teach Judo twice a week.

Workout 4 days a week, mornings.

Learning guitar with my son.

Love going to the movies.

My Ride
    Wankels!

Quite a few cyclists!

For me cycling is my main hobby. It's grown over the past 10+ years from just riding trails to competing in cyclocross and cross country racing.

What keeps it interesting?
    Changing the environment and the discipline. I started in XC, then started racing cyclocross, then last years started racing more endurance events (3-6.5 hrs in length) and started bikepacking.
    This year I may do a bikepacking race in BC.

My Ride
    party car

My main hobby is roller derby, it eats up pretty much 80-90% of my free time between January-July. When I do have time to pursue other interests I enjoy detailing cars, assembling lego, card making, colouring and gaming.
    I like things with wheels.

My Ride
    4x4

Hobbies... Who's got time for that?

Oh wait I'm unemployed.... Lol

Mine tend to default to geeky, love to help with Arduino projects... And help friends develop theirs (but I really struggle on programming, better on the hardware side)

Trying to get my CNC router back up and running and dialed in - latest PC failure kinda set me back on that one... But it moved for its first time in 2 years with an Arduino sending steps instead of a legacy PC sending via lpt - small improvement

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by tirebob
    I think a lot of people are associating interests to hobbies, but in my mind hobbies are a different animal although hard to explain explicitly.

I have many interests that I pursue to a degree, but for what I would consider hobbies I would have to say knifemaking and woodworking would be my hobbies. I am also an avid collector of interesting vintage and antique items, specifically folding knives, woodworking tools and decks of playing cards. I have items dating back into the mid 19th century, but it isn't always about age as much as interest. Some of my favourite playing card decks are WW2 era decks of Vargas and Elvgren pin-up girls etc, but I have sub-collections in various areas from advertising to souvenir to Bicycle brand and more.
    For me a hobby is something that you have way too much knowledge about and eats up more time than a regular person that isn't "into it" would think is sane... so anything could be a hobby depending on the level of individual interest in said thing

Generally bored thru out the work week. I do cross fit during the week simply because I have nothing else to do.

Planting an orchard this spring

Starting to make different wines

Stocking a trout pond this spring

Ice fishing, hitting up all the different lakes for different species walleye, pike, trout etc.

Lake life, boating, fishing, camping.

Hoarding peoples broken stuff only that I can fix for personal use

Cooking from scratch, Planting a garden

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast