Quantcast
Beyond! What is your hobbies? what keeps you motivated? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Beyond! What is your hobbies? what keeps you motivated?

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Default Beyond! What is your hobbies? what keeps you motivated?

Not sure if this has been done before, but, if it has, things may have change...so, fresh for 2017...

What are your hobbies? What keeps you motivated? What makes it interesting?

For me, I have been heavily involved in the remote control vehicle world mainly. I have been buying and selling planes, boats, drift cars drones, trail trucks, scale trucks, basically anything with a remote control for about 6ish years now. For me, I love fixing them more than anything, however, driving them and doing all sorts of jumps and crashes are fun too. I have had as many as 35 or so, but currently my collection is sitting at 19 or so. It had gotten to the point that I realized I should ask Masked Bandit if I needed to declare them on my home insurance. I was worried if something happened, how I would replace them all, as a rough estimate in my head put about a $35,000 price tag. Turns out, I am ok...

I have started to get involved with Pokemon cards with my kids. I love the time we spend together playing it, and it gives me something I can relate to with the girls that are not Barbies...Baygirl has even gotten into it, and now we are going to a Pokemon Pre-release party on Saturday for the upcoming Sun and Moon TCG release. We are all pretty stoked!

So, what are you into?
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Born in Stuttgart

For me my main hobbies are:

Snowboarding- Started as a kid so love weekends in the mountains
    Crossfit
    Powerlifting
    Weightlifting
    Obstacle Course Racing
    Trail Running
    Golf

So mostly like to be in the gym training or outside playing which makes Calgary an ideal city for its proximity to the mountains.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Garage tinkering:

-Datsun wagon
    -1973/79 Honda bikes

Spirited driving:

-m3
    -ktm Duke

Dogs:

-hiking
    -snowshoeing
    -camping

Winter:

-snowboarding
    -travel

Summer:

-lake
    -BBQ
    -wakeboarding
    -golf

Daily:

-markets/economics
    -cooking
    -beyond?

Bunch of other crap that I dabble in too... photography/video, design, vinyls (die cut), collecting (scotch, watches, cigars, vinyls (records), etc)

Is Netflix a hobby? Haha

My Ride
    2008 Z06

Good topic!

When living in Houston from 2011-2015, I picked up fishing more then I had done in the past, and specifically fishing in the ocean from the shore & surf. It was different, and I even got into net casting to catch fish in the shallows. Was fun with friends and made the best out of water that was full of clay sediment.

In Calgary:
    slack lining. I started in Houston in 2013 or so and have been getting better ever since. I love bringing friends who consider themselves physically awesome, or ppl who claim to have good balance and watch them get frustrate for an hour, then finally get rewarded by making it 10'. A sunny Sunday afternoon in the park with snacks, drinks, music and the slackline have made for some good memories, plus it's portable and people (even strangers) love trying it out wherever you set it up. Good for the core, and who can't use more balance, right?

Bike riding. I've always mountain biked, but in Houston I borrowed a friend's road bike and did the MS 150. Actually 175 miles over 2 days from Houston to Austin. My first steps into road biking. In Calgary, I don't have a road bike but I have a single speed bike from State Bikes I ordered from the US. I LOVE riding it. I ride to work downtown every day and in the summer it is a major reason to get up in the morning, flying through the paths along the elbow river behind the stampede grounds with all the curves, wind in my face, and even a jump! My bike is very simple and has the Gulf paint theme, which is perfect for me as a car nut. I also go for 50km rides around the reservoir and I did one 75km trip on it. Again, 1 gear, so it offers an extra challenge. In the winter I slog it to work on my mtn bike, so I can't wait to get back to highspeed riding in the spring.

Working on my old truck. I'm not the most mechanical person, but it is really rewarding improving my 1972 Chevy C10 pickup. It never gets tiring firing it up, cruising around and basically feeling like the Man. I plan to have it forever.

Family property. This month I bought a 70 acre property by Priddis with my brother and cousin. It has a house, 6 car garage and a 3,000sq ft shop. Our plan is to eventually subdivide it into 3 private portions to build our individual family homes on (none of us are even married yet), while keeping a 4th common space for family activities. It's been a dream of ours for a long time, and it's finally happening. We hope for is to very soon become the gathering place for all family events.

Snowmobiling in the mountains. I've been doing this with my brother since I was 16 and he was 13. It's led to my interest in photography and even some magazine covers with my Dad or friends on them, snowmobiling. It even indirectly had a major hand in getting the job that I've now had for 10 years. Moving home to Calgary from Houston, sledding was a major reason I wanted to come back. I'm actually riding this weekend coming up, and taking my gf our for her first time 2 weeks later. I'm not as good as I use to be, probably because I use to be in better shape, rode more frequently, and generally had bigger balls. Still, I love the exploring aspect of it, the comrade aspect among friends, and the incredible views and places we can go that have potentially never been accessed by anyone. I am looking forward to getting my future kids into it when I start a family.
    Last edited by Ekliptix; 01-26-2017 at 06:31 PM.
    Current Cars:
    2019 BMW X3 M40i Stage 2, 12.44 at 110mph
    1972 Chevy Super Cheyenne C10 Pickup 402 big block, 700R4
    2004 GMC 2500HD 8.1L

Past Cars:
    1970 Chevy Blazer, 2wd
    2003 BMW X5 4.6IS Doushmobile, moneypit
    2015 Ford Fiesta ST | Cobb Stage 1, catless downpipe
    2008 Corvette Z06 - 11.39 at 123.8mph
    2002 Corvette Z06 - 12.10 at 116.5mph
    2005 Jeep Wrangler LJ
    1993 5L Mustang - 12.59 at 108mph
    1989 5L Mustang
    1990 Jeep Cherokee
    1991 Acura Integra RS 403Honda

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

When I was younger I was fascinated with RC airplanes, but the cost kept them out of my young hands.
    Now that I'm older, I've sorta strayed away from the RC plane world and purchased a 3D electric helicopter, an older Trex 500, but haven't had enough sim time to actually get out and fly it... lol

Other than that, I've taken up snowboarding again for the winter after a 8 year absence, and I keep asking myself why I ever stopped.

I really want to try and build a timbersled, because that looks like loads of fun, a good 300 2 stroke, or a 450 4 stroke would be perfect for summer/winter use.

I'm going on year 5-6 of participating in recreational track days on a motorcycle. That's an addiction I also wish I picked up when I was younger! Loads of fun, and it's great for personal mental, physical, and physiological development. Riding a bike very fast is much more than just grabbing on and holding on. This spring I'll be heading down to California to take in a weekend of the California Super Biker School, founded and lead by non other than Keith Code himself

Dirtbking has been a recent intrest as well, I have been mountain biking since junior high, and just recently updated my bike for something more modern.. I can easily say that two wheel sports are pretty amazing in my eyes!

I find that the older I get the further away I am straying from car modding as a hobby, it would be great if we had a road course to give pourpose to the interest. That being said though I still have my two cars that keep me turning wrenches for fun.

Golfing is another one of my recent interests, I always scoffed at this sport when I was younger, but have become quite fond of it the older I grew.

It's really interesting to look at all the things you can involve yourself with, and many of them can be done on a very light budget.
    Last edited by RickDaTuner; 01-26-2017 at 06:52 PM.

My Ride
    G

Lounging around hobbies I like to smoke cigars and sip on scotch. In the summer I try to golf at least once a week and combine that with my previous 2 listed hobbies for a great time. In the winter I snowboard.

My biggest hobbies right now are still photography/photo editing but lately I've been transitioning into video filming and editing. I recently bought a drone for video purposes but I find I enjoy flying it around even when I'm not using the camera.

I've also recently joined muay thai and really enjoying it

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

What ARE my hobbies?

Rock climbing, hiking, cycling, travel, photography, audio gear, cooking.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Has 5 wheels.

I love the gym/exercise and being active so really I can get my hands on.

Recently took on a board member role at my Aussie Football Club and will be repping the maple leaf this year on the national team so training plus gym takes up 5-6 days per week.

Snowboarding. I volunteer with CADS (Canadian Association of Disabled Skiing) as an instructor. Then I try and get up to the mountains a couple times a month.

My Ride
    dumpster trains

Things have changed since I joined beyond a few years ago...

I used to include working on cars and wrestling as hobbies/relaxation, but I sold the car, and I no longer train in wrestling (I coach elementary kids instead + referee matches).

Currently my biggest free time activities are sorta split depending on the time of year.

Summer:
    #1 Cycling. I recently finished rebuilding my Dad's old Nishiki 12 speed (1980's) and I spend ever moment I can on that bike during the summer.
    #2 Hiking. I also consider this my all year pastime as I snowshoe in the winter. This could also very well be my #1 as this is one of the hobbies that the gf and I share together.
    #3 Camping. Be it car camping, cabins, or backpacking.
    #4Tinkering. By this I mean fixing things, cleaning things and general maintenance. I am fairly good at working with my hands and I have an eye for details so anything that involves that fits into the tinkering category.
    #5 Fishing. I don't do this one as often as I'd like, but its still one of my favourite things to do with my Dad. It's even better when my younger brother comes cause he will change his lure about 5 times over a couple hours, and still not catch anything more than Dad and I

Winter
    #1 Skiing. I am only really starting to get into this and I still don't go often enough but this has to be my favourite winter activity.
    #2 Snowshoeing.
    #3 Weights. I don't cycle in the winter, so this is when I lift.

Exception to all these

I also sing, once a week with an all male acapella choir. I have been involved with music all my life, but singing has always been a passion of mine.
    Originally posted by speedog
    So more beyond armchair activism at work again?

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Several hobbies, enough to not focus on any one of them, so not motivated much at all.

Electronics (repairing and building stuff)
    Guitar - chronically unmotivated
    Photography - intermittently motivated
    Travel - Mrs. Penguin does the motivation there
    Computers also a career so fairly motivated there.

My Ride
    Left at 5pm

Hobbies, eh?

Inherited from my father, I think my primary spare-time interest revolve around being outside and active...

After a long hiatus due to injury, a few years ago I really got back into cycling...both road and XC/all-mountain (i'm not an endurobro - I don't want to die). This is probably my dominant interest right now.

Over the last several years i've maintained an interest in shittily practicing hot yoga and weight lifting (not really for gains, just feels good). If none of those, then hiking remains an interest and I usually made a few trips per year (mountain biking has more or less taken this over).

A more recent interest I mentioned in the purchase-thread is fencing, too...practice once or twice a week.

Outside of being outside or active, I've played guitar on and off for years and years, but it's been several months since I've picked one up. Also dabbled a bit in artistic ventures with a bit of leather working, painting, and woodwork (I designed and built my dining table out of black walnut, bubinga, and wenge over several weeks in 2014). I last painted a few months ago but ran into some road/talent block and put my last project on hold.

I really enjoy cooking or preparing food.

Shit...this is going to read like a beyond dating profile...long walks on beaches too?
    Originally posted by scat19
    I have a BMW so im not stupid.

My Ride
    MDX

Traveling, cooking, wine, scotch and cigars.

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

-Cars
    My 94 Mustang takes up a lot of time by working, showing and pleasure drives. Now there's my dad's 56 ford and my 04 Mustang now too. Love tinkering have been doing it since I was 12 when I first got the 94.

-Photography
    Got my first dslr 2 years ago. Got into it way more than I expected. I've really enjoyed learning and meeting so many friends on the way! Excited to continue.

-Video games
    I've always liked to play, but new girlfriend really likes videos games so that's fueled my interest again.

-Fishing
    Love fishing but seem to have less time for it.

-Travel
    When I have the time and money, but usually last priority...

I'd love to more woodworking but not really setup for it. I miss high-school shop.
    Last edited by NoPulp; 01-26-2017 at 10:00 PM.

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

For me it's cycling in the summer when I have time, adult Lego and 8-ball.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I'm all about the performance driving now. Ice Dice with the CSCC, Rally X with the ERC guys, Autoslalom with the CSCC/SASC, llapping with Track Junkies.

Skiing career didn't work out, I ski for fun too but it's not nearly as serious as it used to be.

My Ride
    Exploded.

For me, it's:

Snowboarding
    Competitive Dragonbboat
    Photography
    Traveling
    Cooking

Snowboarding keeps me sane in winter, while Dragonboat keeps me in shape and active in the summer.

Have to stay in shape during winter, or try to be, so exercise go hand in hand with it.

Cooking at home keeps me active, trying out new techniques and recipes. Photography is just a fun time waster haha.

I retired being a hockey goalie because of knee injuries, so looking to fill a summer sport to complement Dragonboat!

Are collecting things hobbies? I scavenge for watches and vinyl but I sold most of my watches, because vintage ones are a PITA to maintain.
    Last edited by flipstah; 01-26-2017 at 10:59 PM.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

1) Cars. This consumes the most time, generally researching anything and everything about them. I'm slowly becoming more brave to actually form some sort of career path pertaining to cars. Not 100% sure yet but something.

2) Music and drums. Try to stay up to date with the modern metal trends and new bands. It's super difficult but finding that new band that really does it for you is awesome.

Trying to play drums once a day when I can for 30-45min to keep my chops up. I need to really buckle down if I want to get better which I don't have much time for

3) Diet, nutrition, training, and endocrinology. Biology is really interesting to me, focus of research over the last 10 years has been the HPTA.

4) Not really a hobby but it consumes enough of my time - writing and studying for power engineering exams. Should be complete this year. Tally of passes ONLY will put me at 70 total government supervised hours in an exam room over my career.

5) Sort of an age thing, but I've become more interested in Theology and Greek history. I've got to know what I'm talking about when I'm correcting people about origin haha.

6) Very recently ping pong. Yep lol
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

-Snowboarding
    Starting to dial this back a bit. Park ridding is rough and it's taking longer to recover from bad slams. Still try to get out at least a few times a week.

-Bouldering
    Do this pretty much year round. Both indoors and outdoors. Fantastic sport with cool people and beautiful outdoor locales both in Canada/USA. Highly recommend it if people are looking for something fun and physically hard to work on year round.

-Sport Climbing
    Do this when it's summer because well frankly the sport climbing outdoors is better than the locally available bouldering.

My Ride
    NC1

1. Weightlifting - bench press and deadlifts mostly right now. Just wanna get stronger and better bod.

2. Ice hockey - lol learned to skate 5 years ago and just a basic average div10 kinda player 2-3x a week

3. Simplifying things in life - does this count as hobby? The whole less is more kinda deal

4. Traveling - only once a year for a 2-3 week trip but I try to do something different each year

5. Stay trending - everything that's going on in the world. Schadenfreude watching a train wreck lol
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Lease

Not much hobby, Beyond's been pretty bad influence. Dirty_SOHC gets me hooked on collecting these golden brass. So now I sweep more than I shoot, oh you gonna keep that, you gonna keep those too may I take em.

Of course, our ultimate goal is to fill a tub's worth, then to one of those $10 Wal-Mart kids plastic pools so we can swim around like Duck Tales while eating lucky charms.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast