Quantcast
How is your road? (snow and/or ice coverage) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: How is your road? (snow and/or ice coverage)

Default How is your road? (snow and/or ice coverage)

So it seems there's a zillion Calgary 311 reports in the past week or so regarding residential streets being almost impassible due to snow build-up. This is surprising to me as our street in north central Calgary is down to bare pavement with nominal amounts of snow where people park. Certainly not impassable and no one is getting stuck.

So what shape is the road that your home is situated on? Now we have had plows down our street multiple times because there is a single small school bus that travels down it and that may be why it's in good condition. Of note, our gravel alley has seen pea gravel put down by the CoC at least three times this year which is a surprise because it is not difficult to navigate even in a 2WD vehicle.
    Last edited by speedog; 01-27-2017 at 10:25 PM.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Deeeep... but I'm in a cul-de-sac, right at the mouth it was a little tricky last Chinook when it was all slush, plow build up + ruts was interesting in the M

Pretty big ice piles on ours. Took my Jetta down it the other night and dragged the skidplate the entire way. Skidplate hangs lower than the pan but I'm sure if I didn't have it on I would have hit the pan on a couple spots.

Going to shovel the street when it melts this weekend, some of my neighbors have small cars that I'm sure have trouble

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

The main road to get into our cul-de-sac is pretty much down to one lane. When it was warm out, the cars pushed the slush to the sides, which then froze when it got cold again. So there's icy mounds/ruts that are 4" to 8" high and pull you into the parked cars. Except for the dead center, which is dry pavement, and one lane wide.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    2020 Tacoma DCSB

It sucks. The alley behind from the garage is really shit, and then you get to the end - the part between the alley and pulling onto the main road is like a 8" rut you have to go over to get into the ruts and it's sketchy af to go over each morning lol.. have to hold the coffee to keep it from spilling.

Last edited by Amysicle; 12-06-2019 at 09:19 PM.

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

So much ice! There's a big groove down the middle and it's hard to get out of it to pass or park even in my truck.
    I also tried to park in the alley in the boat spot, it was a skating rink and I couldn't turn.

It's starting to melt and hopefully this weekend it'll all be gone! I need to move the black Mustang on bald tires to the back garage to start working on it!!!

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Mine is pretty decent, On one side, we have a designated bike route that gets plowed along with other priority 2 routes. the street in front of my house isn't on any plow route, although I've noticed that we tend to get a plow down it a few times after each bigger snowfall. Honestly, I'd prefer if they didn't plow that one, the little windrow they throw up makes parking a bitch. The savage recession fighter hasn't gotten stuck, but does scrape sometimes when parking. Fucks given = 0, I just power through like a bawss.

But I'm super OCD about ice, snow and drainage. I'm the guy out there shoveling around my parking space and the storm drain and generally making a mess all spring long.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Trucks

My place in Cochrane has zero snow, but at my inlaw's place in Kensington I had to take a run with my WRX twice to get out of my parking spot on the street in front of their house. Lots of shade down there keeps the snow from melting.

My Ride
    Bicycle

I think the issue are the ruts that are bare but ice build up on either side of the ruts and make cars with low clearance make not clear.

City did a scope up all the snow on our main roads a few weeks, so that may have helped lessen the complaints in our hood.

Nothing you can do now. It's all ice and hope the next few days nature take care of itself.

My Ride
    '19 GTI

My parents are on a quiet residential street north of SAIT area....
    Always the worst in the winter for snow coverage... I live downtown, so never have an issue.

One of their close neighbors has a skidsteer and clears off their road for everyone, until last year when a new neighbor in the area complained to the city that he's doing it... haha. Idiots.

My Ride
    08 Suzuki SX4,06 Nissan Titan

pretty bad this last week.

the snow has turned in to a dirt/snow mix that never freezes up causing cars to get bogged down.

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

Wtf? Mine's nearly down to pavement and go about a half block down and it's bare pavement.

My Ride
    Boring. And a motorcycle.

Pavement here in Winston Heights. Cars park on snow/ice and its sketchy to get out, but where you actually drive, its fine.
    The Ex: 2002 Subaru 2.5RSTi w/ JDM V7 STI Swap, JDM 6-Speed Trans, Dom 1.5XTR, ST Coilovers
    The Ride: 2014 Ducati Multistrada S, Tuneboy w/ CC
    Daily: Boring Volvo.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

A set of ruts down the middle, rough snow/ice on the sides. I shoveled all the crap from my parking spot onto the road today, have to get a ditch to the drain tomorrow, luckily I'm second in from the corner.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride

Directly in front of and behind our house (including alley) is a complete skating rink. I wanted to take the Cayman out during those bouts of super nice weather, but no such luck. Closer to the main drag, it has melted a bit more but there's still massive ruts and grooves frozen in that are bumper-eaters for sure if someone got too close...

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Apparently the complaints have been working. saw a plow out this morning knocking the tops off the ruts and mounds in some parking spots around my hood.

Funny thing is, anyone who puts a little effort into the street in front of their house seems to have no unreasonable ruts or difficult parking. Maybe that's not a coincidence?

Spent ten minutes chipping ice in front of a house on the next block yesterday. They had a massive puddle, and a storm drain, and the fact that the water was just going to sit there and refreeze was like an itch in my brain that wouldn't go away. I may have a problem, but the sound of that water rushing into the drain was such sweet music.

Checked out my handiwork this morning, everything looks so much better now.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    '05 Subaru LGT wagon (5MT)

I have needed to be in 4hi to make it up my street and also off my street to the main road for well over a month. First it was due to ice, then they plowed and somehow managed to push all the snow onto the steep part of the street and it is currently ice on the flats and thick, slick snow covering ice on the hill. I can't even turn around on my street without putting it in 4.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Apparently the complaints have been working. saw a plow out this morning knocking the tops off the ruts and mounds in some parking spots around my hood.

Funny thing is, anyone who puts a little effort into the street in front of their house seems to have no unreasonable ruts or difficult parking. Maybe that's not a coincidence?

Spent ten minutes chipping ice in front of a house on the next block yesterday. They had a massive puddle, and a storm drain, and the fact that the water was just going to sit there and refreeze was like an itch in my brain that wouldn't go away. I may have a problem, but the sound of that water rushing into the drain was such sweet music.

Checked out my handiwork this morning, everything looks so much better now.
    It's funny how this happens. In front of my house and my next door neighbour, there are no ruts and the road on our side I'd almost bare to the curb. The rest of the street is a gongshow.

Of course now some jackass has parked in front of my house after I shoveled it bare.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

Street has gotten better over the weekend. I think it's as good as its going to get until spring, attempting to move the black mustang tonight!

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress