Quantcast
So long HMV - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: So long HMV

Default So long HMV

Surprised they lasted as long as they did, given the arrival and increasing popularity of digital downloads.

Lots of memories and I dropped a mint in my younger days there.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/stru...ores-1.3956302

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I posted this series of photos back in 2015.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

click for larger version

click for larger version

Asked the same question as you. How the hell are they still around? I just assumed walking dead lamps sold like hot cakes.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

HMV operates 102 stores in Canada and employs about 1,340 people, most of them at its retail locations.
    That's on average 13ish people per store? (plus whatever people at the corporate office)

That seems like a low number considering the amount of hours they're open in malls
    If for example the Market Mall location only employs 13 people, they'd have to all be full time to cover the amount of hours open??

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Yeah, between them and A&B, I spent a lot of money there on music in my younger days. Hip-hop used to be so hard to find (not to mention expensive) in Calgary cause the audience was so small, so anytime I saw one I'd go to it to see what they had. Coming across one out of town was exciting for me. I remember going there every Tuesday, I think it was, cause that's when they'd have all their newly arrived music out just to see what the latest albums were.

Other than the television memorabilia they have out by the windows, I'm not even sure what they sell now.

Not only have I not stepped into one of their stores in decades, I never even thought to look up their website until now hahaha

Another part of my youth now disappears.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

When A&B came to calgary, I spent hundreds at each location within the first few months. And I didn't even live in the city limits at the time.

I was totally in awe of that downtown location. Spent like five hours there one day.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by jwslam

That's on average 13ish people per store? (plus whatever people at the corporate office)

That seems like a low number considering the amount of hours they're open in malls
    If for example the Market Mall location only employs 13 people, they'd have to all be full time to cover the amount of hours open??
    I would assume there are smaller locations can can be done with 4 full timers if only manned with only 2 people at any time.

2 ppl, 12 hrs/day, 7 days / 44 hrs = 4 FTEs. 8 if you want part time and skip the benefits.

HMV was slowly turning into Hot Topic anyway. Once again, technology has killed jobs, thanks for Apple/Google/Netflix. In a few decades, you probably will either be doctors, nurses, politicians or unemployed.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 01-28-2017 at 10:33 AM.

So game stores like EB Games are probably not here for long either.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

Wow, they stayed around for way longer than I expected!

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

My Ride
    something green

Thank god I picked up Wang Chungs greatest hits on my last visit....
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by speedog
    Yeah, especially the gaming industry seems to be saturated now. Most tier 1 releases has suffer poor sales number this year. Digital download or physical copies.

If you look at the new EBX store in Chinook, they are also turning into Hot Topic as well. Leveraging nerd culture as a whole instead of just gaming.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-17-2019 at 04:06 PM.

My Ride
    F355 Challenge/996TT/FD3S/968 Turbo/NSX

Originally posted by Maxt
    Thank god I picked up Wang Chungs greatest hits on my last visit....
    Be honest, it was Flock of Seagulls greatest hit....

My Ride
    something green

Originally posted by soloracer

Be honest, it was Flock of Seagulls greatest hit....
    I went in for Falco originally...
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Still have to get hardware, still have to have demo areas to test consoles.

Of course, for actual retail, you can buy all that stuff online. Microsoft store and Sony store cover console needs.

Nintendo can have its own retail outlets honestly, with the amount of merchandise they do.

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
    I remember going there every Tuesday, I think it was, cause that's when they'd have all their newly arrived music out just to see what the latest albums were.

Another part of my youth now disappears.

New Music Tuesdays...
    ...@therealarifjina...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Still have to get hardware, still have to have demo areas to test consoles.

Of course, for actual retail, you can buy all that stuff online. Microsoft store and Sony store cover console needs.

Nintendo can have its own retail outlets honestly, with the amount of merchandise they do.
    [/QUOTE

But Sony store gone already.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by OU812
    But Sony store gone already.
    I think he meant online store, likes PSN store.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
    Yeah, between them and A&B, I spent a lot of money there on music in my younger days. Hip-hop used to be so hard to find (not to mention expensive) in Calgary cause the audience was so small, so anytime I saw one I'd go to it to see what they had. Coming across one out of town was exciting for me. I remember going there every Tuesday, I think it was, cause that's when they'd have all their newly arrived music out just to see what the latest albums were.
    I guess I'm old because I went to the Attic for hard to find hip hop back in the day. Blew tons of cash there.

They would've gone under faster if Playstation fanboys didn't fuck with Xbox One launch back in the day. Xbox One almost launched as a hybrid all digital platform with physical media purely available to cut down on initial download time. All game rights were controlled online with used sales handled digitally.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

eb seems busy whenever I walk by it. I'm always boggled by that until I walked in there last month and realized half the store and what everyone seemed to be buying was used stuff. They might survive just by selling used stuff for a while still.

I can't remember the last new game I bought either, and most of what I play is old games I'm replaying. the last 3 games i finished playing were from PS1.

A lot of new games I actually dislike because they are either just long boring movies with no challenge (pretty much every RPG i've played in the last 10 years for example), or are retardedly easy unless you are playing against humans

... or in the case of exclusively online games are just a 5000 hour grind unless you spend $10-$100 a pop to unlock that item or increase your progression rate.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by zhao
    eb seems busy whenever I walk by it. I'm always boggled by that until I walked in there last month and realized half the store and what everyone seemed to be buying was used stuff. They might survive just by selling used stuff for a while still.

I can't remember the last new game I bought either, and most of what I play is old games I'm replaying. the last 3 games i finished playing were from PS1.

A lot of new games I actually dislike because they are either just long boring movies with no challenge (pretty much every RPG i've played in the last 10 years for example), or are retardedly easy unless you are playing against humans

... or in the case of exclusively online games are just a 5000 hour grind unless you spend $10-$100 a pop to unlock that item or increase your progression rate.
    Last month was Christmas, and they have one of the best Xbox One trade in deal in town. So it's expected.

Their used game stock should dwindle over time as I have not bought a physical copy of anything to trade in since Xbox one was out. And Live gold is giving out at least 2 year-old title for free each month.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast