Quantcast
Basement development HVAC - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Basement development HVAC

Default Basement development HVAC

So looking for opinions/insight re basement development specifically with HVAC components.

Basement is 850 sq ft will have 2 bedrooms/bathroom/rec room.

Builder put in ceiling vents(obviously) in both bedroom locations and there is one in the rec room area.

Does that seem like enough? There are none in the bathroom location.

The bedrooms have windows which is where the vents are above. Rec room has no windows.

Also I have been told two things:

1. Move the vents down in a wall to floor level.
    2. Leave vents up high but ensure there are enough cold air returns to "move the air"

Love to hear what people think/have done re this.

TIA

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

I've got about 650 sqft in mine

1 in the 1 bedroom - not too warm in there but comfy; vent is also where the window is
    1 in the bathroom - the floor tiles are damn cold even with the door closed all the time; definitely suggest getting in floor heating and forget about the vent at all
    2 in the rec room area; one on the window end and one on the opposite end - warm enough

If it were possible, I'd like to have another door at the bottom of the stairs to reduce the amount of heat lost up the staircase

My parents house has vents on the lower part of the wall; really restricts where you can put furniture; they currently have one of them cut out of a hole of the back of a bookcase.

Obviously things change depending on what kind of floor you have too as what your feet feel completely change what your body feels. Mine is high pile carpet.

all good points.

I am planning to do in-floor electric heat in bathroom (screw u carbon tax)

Never thought about furniture placement.

I was also considering prewiring for a baseboard heater and t-stat in each room in case it ends up being too cool. (screw u carbon tax again)
    Last edited by OU812; 01-28-2017 at 11:35 AM.

Originally posted by OU812

I am planning to do in-floor electric heat in bathroom
    $1,000 installed, including programmable thermostat.
    Only draws 400 watts/ 3.4 amps.

Originally posted by C_Dave45

$1,000 installed, including programmable thermostat.
    Only draws 400 watts/ 3.4 amps.
    Is that a rough estimate or are you quoting for me lol??

What products?

Is that a rough estimate or are you quoting for me lol??

What products?
    That's an actual quote for a standard 8x5 bathroom.
    Using Schluter Ditra Heat membrane and cable and Schluter touch screen thermostat.

If the bathroom has an exterior wall, it needs a supply vent. Ideally, run the bathroom supply in an interior wall down to near the floor. Do not install a return in the bathroom. Bathroom will require an exhaust fan or operable window. Ensure all returns are at floor level. Each bedroom and the rec room will require its own return. Do not run ducts in exterior walls. Its nice to align supply vents in the ceiling with the windows(rectangle grille) and with other pot-lights(round diffusers). You should probably add at least 2 supply vents(approx 5"round) to the basement living spaces(bathroom included), so add one more to the rec room area.

Originally posted by jeffh
    If the bathroom has an exterior wall, it needs a supply vent. Ideally, run the bathroom supply in an interior wall down to near the floor. Do not install a return in the bathroom. Bathroom will require an exhaust fan or operable window. Ensure all returns are at floor level. Each bedroom and the rec room will require its own return. Do not run ducts in exterior walls. Its nice to align supply vents in the ceiling with the windows(rectangle grille) and with other pot-lights(round diffusers). You should probably add at least 2 supply vents(approx 5"round) to the basement living spaces(bathroom included), so add one more to the rec room area.

Seem like you know your stuff......does adding more lines down subtract from furnace airflow to 2nd level? Seems like it has a hard time pushing air that far already?

Thanks, i have some education and experience in the field.
    It sure does take away from the other areas, as you have a total amount of static pressure the blower on your furnace can exert to push n pull the air where you want it. It would be good to have volume/balancing dampers on all your supply lines just after the take-offs on the supply ducting in order to have good control of the air. Access to the physical dampers would be necessary in the future for adjusting. Also your ductwork may be designed poorly, mine is too(thanks aspen air) and i am in the process of re-installing a proper supply ductline.

There is also a recent thread on controlling the hot n cool rooms in your home. Good advice on there. Take a look.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

does adding more lines down subtract from furnace airflow to 2nd level? Seems like it has a hard time pushing air that far already?
    Maybe add these while your basement is still undeveloped

My Ride
    Trucks

Originally posted by jwslam

Maybe add these while your basement is still undeveloped
    This fan or anything similar will last only a year or two of use and will be noisy while it runs. Please do not waste your money on one.

Noted off to read the other thread.

Ok so seems like I should but some Dampers in before I get too far ahead.

Would I be fine to put them in and drywall over when theyre set or do I always need access?

I can access half all the time when finished as they will be in an unfinished area but the other half would be in a finished spot. Any chance they could close on me?

Am i missing anything else here? I assume airflow is airflow whether its ac or heat it should be the same? Just wondering if I balance the system in winter if I will be missing something in summer?
    \

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If you ever install AC you will find it helps to rebalance airflow twice a year. Cooling is very different than heating.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Just a heads-up, if you are working under a homeowner's permit for the basement renovations, you'll need to have a contractor come in to do the HVAC work. The city doesn't issue homeowner's permits for mechanical work.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Good to know about the permit..... Thinking so far I'm going to seal the existing system with mastic to see how that helps