Quantcast
School me in after market LSD's.... - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: School me in after market LSD's....

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

Default School me in after market LSD's....

I've been driving my RWD Genesis for 4 years and never had an issue getting around but this last month has been an absolute nightmare, the ridiculous snowfall combined with no longer having underground parking has made the car unmanageable as it's 50/50 if it gets stuck anytime I park.

So I need to make a choice, either buy a winter beater with AWD, buy a new car (which is unlikely) or maybe get a limited slip diff and see if that makes the difference. I love the car so I really don't want to get rid of it and it's been an absolute dream reliability wise. I just need to figure something out to get through months like this (I've been stuck 2 times in 4 years before this month. This month alone I've been badly stuck 4 or 5 times and I'm assuming so long as I park on the street that number will only increase).

So has anyone here ever purchased an aftermarket diff? How much labor are we looking at for the install as I imagine it would be a pretty big job? Will it make enough of a difference to get me through these ridiculous snowfall days?

Thanks guys.

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

A true diff makes huge difference in snow and most importantly its waaaay better for burnies...

Installation is really easy as the rear diff's are easily accessabile. I don't know what is offered for the genesis but S13 diffs go for 700-1200 (parts only) and are offered in helical or clutch type. For street driving stick with helical.

I wouldn't hold a lot of hope for that making a huge difference in loose snow. Even an open diff will have some resistance to freewheeling on such low traction surfaces and if you have traction control on I would bet you're already spinning both wheels when you get stuck. I assume you have good winter tires? That would be a better investment, but overall a winter beater is probably your best bet. Get a wagon or even an suv and you will benefit from the extra utility during the rest of the year.
    dv/dt

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

Well that's reassuring. I thought it might be a huge job.

This is the one I've been eyeing: https://www.genracer.com/quaife-atb-...genesis-coupe/

Today when I was stuck it was only one tire spinning. Just one stupid patch of ice. The snow wasn't the issue at all. I even tried lifting it and sliding some wood under it but it just slid out. It was a frustrating morning.

Winter beater might be the way to go I just need to find somewhere to store it.
    Last edited by dj_patm; 02-12-2018 at 10:35 AM.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by dj_patm View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well that's reassuring. I thought it might be a huge job.

This is the one I've been eyeing: https://www.genracer.com/quaife-atb-...genesis-coupe/

Today when I was stuck it was only one tire spinning. Just one stupid patch of ice. The snow wasn't the issue at all. I even tried lifting it and sliding some wood under it but it just slid out. It was a frustrating morning.

Winter beater might be the way to go I just need to find somewhere to store it.
    Anytime you put a new carrier in you may need to re-adjust the ring/pinion gears and this is time consuming and can be $$$ if a shop does it.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    Anytime you put a new carrier in you may need to re-adjust the ring/pinion gears and this is time consuming and can be $$$ if a shop does it.
    X2, gear setup can be a real tricky task and in some ways is more art than science - especially with used gearsets. You'll likely pay about as much labour to install the LSD as you spent on parts. That's assuming you're installing the carrier itself, not swapping the whole diff assembly for one with an LSD already installed. If your vehicle was available with an LSD as a factory option, hunt around and see if you can find a complete unit.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by dj_patm View Post
    This will not help your problems. "Quaife" aka "torsen" diffs require torque differential to work. If one tire has essentially zero grip, it doesn't work at all and functions like an open diff.

You need a clutch style diff. There are problems with clutch style diffs for DD'ing in the winter though. At speed on the highway, if you hit black ice, both tires will essentially be locked turning at the same speed. When this happens, it is very easy for the ass to kick out regardless of how smooth you are. Normally on an open diff, one tire would just spin/slip which allows the other tire to maintain grip in a straight-ish direction. Its why trucks use "lockers" that disengage above 30km/h.

Mad-tyte doriftos will be amazing with a clutch diff though. As for pricing, to get one and pay someone to do the install, minimum $2k all in. Probably more like $2500+. Could get a beater awd Subaru for that much.

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

Alright I'm leaning towards the beater too.