Quantcast
Who keeps maintenance records, and how? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Who keeps maintenance records, and how?

Default Who keeps maintenance records, and how?

Out of curiosity, how many of you keep maintenance records or set service reminders for your vehicles? Do you keep piles of invoices and written notes stuffed in a plastic bag, store it in excel, or know of a really good mobile app/website?

When you buy or sell a used vehicle, is this something you consider critical to have/provide? The last time I went shopping for a used car, some sellers had piles of these available and just went "here you go". Others didn't, or had one or two records here and there.
    Anyone had this experience, or know a better way to present records?

Thanks

My Ride
    NC1

I keep all of mine in a binder and show whoever is interested in the car that I did maintain it. If I no longer own the car then I toss it out.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

For work I do myself, I keep a log of the date, mileage, and what was done in one of the manuals that came with the car in the glove box. I also keep all receipts for services and purchases for the car (ie: windshield, tires, etc) along with the mileage when it was put on.

Oddly enough, I don't keep track of oil or oil filter purchases since I always considered those consumables, though based on warranty related discussions that have popped up here in recent years I really should be keeping receipts to accompany my maintenance records.

My Ride
    AP1

I would say maintenance records are important to keep. A used car with all of its maintenance records is easier to sell than going off of what the owner claimed was done and assuming they've stayed up-to-date with all their maintenance.

Records give an idea of when the work was done (year, mileage, shop that did the work, whether OEM parts were used). It also gives you an idea whether major maintenance items need to be factored into the cost of the vehicle (e.g. timing belts/suspension overhaul).

A car that is dealer maintained usually has a service record on the car proof (indicated dealer and mileage serviced). As long as the service intervals are consistent and happen every x KM then I feel confident the car was maintained at the appropriate intervals.

I do fluid changes myself so I keep the receipts of the fluids/parts I purchase. I keep the receipts of tires/wheel alignment whenever I take my car to the shop.
    Last edited by EF9 Sedan; 01-31-2017 at 10:03 PM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I just stick every maintenance printout in the little sales folder that the car's purchase paperwork came in.

When I sell it I will just hand over the folder to the buyer.

Same think I did with my last car.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

i have tried so many times but i just keep forgetting to enter stuff, since i do all my own work its not as easy as just tossing the invoice in a folder... I have tried a few apps, probably the easiest was google notes, but again, i just forget to enter stuff as i am doing it and every time i think of it i get distracted until i forget details and then give up on it, lol

Honestly too if i was buying a car and someone dropped a 4" folder on me with all the records i'd wonder what kind of mess vehicle i was getting myself into, nickle and dime ya to death.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Beats someone who wants you to take his word he changed the oil
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

Originally posted by killramos
    Beats someone who wants you to take his word he changed the oil
    overrated anyway, i've driven beaters for 100k+ with just the occasional top up (when the oil light flashes, thats a good time to top it up)
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    V167

I have a word document for each vehicle, three columns I believe (date/service performed/mileage).
    Reciepts then go in a folder (in chronological order).

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I put all my receipts in my glovebox and note mileages for everything on them. Including every fuel receipt and things like washer fluid and bulbs.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-17-2019 at 04:24 PM.

I have an electronic folder for each car. Each folder has a maintenance Excel spreadsheet. Anytime I touch anything, I log it with exact description of what I did, part #s, lessons learned, misc notes, etc. I have all the various regular service types (eg. oil, filters, fluids) in a separate column with next mileage/time due. That allows me to plan ahead easily by bulk ordering parts from Rock Auto when I know I'll need parts for an upcoming service on one of the vehicles.

Each spreadsheet also has extra workbooks to include various notes on anything I learned, future repairs planning, even torque specs and everything in between. In the folder, I keep the electronic service manuals, wiring diagrams, TSBs, and oil analysis reports.

Paper receipts for parts I'll keep in a binder for each vehicle. Parts/tools with lifetime warranty I'll scan the receipt and file it.

Basically, I'm OCD. But even though my records are easily more detailed than any dealer invoice, I think if I were to sell, some buyers would still be naturally hesitant over these "DIY" records.
    Last edited by nobb; 01-31-2017 at 11:17 PM.

My Ride
    CAEB, 6G72

I log all my oil changes, maintenance, and improvements, mainly just for my own records. The oil changes and timing belts I record, so I can keep a close eye on them, and change when necessary. I just track them all by mileage, date, and services performed, and write them on loose-leaf that I leave in my car binder.

Now my fuel I track on Fuelly, and I like doing this, because it gives me a good idea of what kind of fuel my car likes, and what kind of mileage i'm getting. Plus if I see my MPG trending downwards, and it's not because of driving style, or winter fuel, then I can look into other areas, and catch them early on.

My Ride
    G37X

I used to keep them in my glove box. But lately, I've moved to folding them up and storing them somewhat neatly/safely in an accordion file.

It certainly adds value and give a shit factor for me. Who wants to buy a vehicle that was haphazardly maintained?
    Last edited by Hallowed_point; 02-01-2017 at 09:22 AM.

My Ride
    Silverado

I have an invoice folder as well as everything has been done at the dealer to date. I assume I could get them to reprint everything.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

In previous cars I kept a binder. It made it easier. I kept mental notes of major changes (i.e 100km cam belt etc)

My current vehicle I don't bother with logging oil changes as its so old and Im driving it till it dies. But wear and tear items and major things like brakes, or repairs I do keep so I have a record or longevity.

When purchasing a vehicle, the records log does play a part. But I am looking at the type of person I am buying from too. That also gives a idea of how the car might have been maintained and driven.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

I keep a file folder with receipts, records & invoices for all service and modifications for all of my cars. When selling cars in the past buyers always seemed happy that I could prove maintenance was done when I said it was. And personally when I buy a used car if a person doesn't have the maintenance records it's a bit of a red flag. Especially with modern cars having oil change intervals of 15,000 or even 20,000km I want to make sure that oil was changed (preferably before the interval).

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

I keep all the service records and I usually type up a page or two to include other information about the car. From my experience, the buyers have been quite happy about it.

I keep absolutely everything, even if I buy a $2 part, and give everything to the next owner. If you don't do that, it's much harder to validate claims of proper care. I would never believe someone who told me they did all the services, changed oil on time, etc. and had no records. It's too easy to just say stuff like that, and most people don't take good care of their vehicles.

Also, people who do that kind of stuff usually take better care of their possessions in general, and I am much more likely to buy a vehicle form someone like that.

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

I keep every thing as well. And when I purschase I inspect the previous owners paper work. When I bought the rs4 I asked to take it home and read it all over, nothing worse then missing a major issue and having to pay for it. I don't hide anything when selling cars I tell them everything that has happened while I owned the car, I feel like honesty will sell the car almost as much as the car selling it self.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast