Quantcast
Totalled a rental car need advice - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Totalled a rental car need advice

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Originally posted by ee2k
    As far as the car is concerned, call your credit card company and follow their insurance processes.
    I totalled a minivan in Hawaii once. The front end was driven over by a massive lifted truck.

Called RBC, they confirmed coverage from my VISA. (had declined everything from Dollar rental car) Was no hassle, everything was taken care of between them and the rental car company. I was not on the hook for any costs, and received a letter about a month later with the claim details etc. summarizing things. Very easy.
    Last edited by CLiVE; 02-07-2017 at 06:37 PM.

My Ride
    Infinitis and Nissans

Originally posted by trollolhah

where do you find this SEF 27
    So you rented a car and declined coverage without even knowing if you're covered?

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Originally posted by Sentry
    The rental company charging for those tires is skeezy as fuck, garbage all seasons with M+S rating that ALL garbage all seasons have.
    Agreed. What to they normally put in these cars if not m+s all seasons.... Slicks?

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Originally posted by CLiVE

I totalled a minivan in Hawaii once. The front end was driven over by a massive lifted truck.

Called RBC, they confirmed coverage from my VISA. (had declined everything from Dollar rental car) Was no hassle, everything was taken care of between them and the rental car company. I was not on the hook for any costs, and received a letter about a month later with the claim details etc. summarizing things. Very easy.
    Thats good to know, I have always wondered what it would come down if it happened. I always through CC insurance was secondary if you didn't have personal car insurance that would cover
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride
    rally pig

i rented a big ass SUV in atlanta, returned it to the airport and found a small dent on the front bumper.

few weeks later i received an email from rental about the estimate repair cost, called RBC as well and VISA car insurance covered the damage fortunately as i was worried they would void coverage as i didnt report within 48hrs the damage was spotted

never knew some rentals offered winter tires option, i always go enterprise for free mileage

wow thanks for sharing

Originally posted by Sonic

So you rented a car and declined coverage without even knowing if you're covered?
    never heard of it, nor used credit card auto insurance before

Originally posted by taemo
    i rented a big ass SUV in atlanta, returned it to the airport and found a small dent on the front bumper.

few weeks later i received an email from rental about the estimate repair cost, called RBC as well and VISA car insurance covered the damage fortunately as i was worried they would void coverage as i didnt report within 48hrs the damage was spotted

never knew some rentals offered winter tires option, i always go enterprise for free mileage

rental company has unlimited kms, offered "winter tires"

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by taemo

According to the OP's photo, they actually don't.

My Ride
    rally pig

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

According to the OP's photo, they actually don't.
    touche
    i rented an suv last week and asked them if they had winter tires, they say not to worry as they have m+s tires
    m+s is all weather season, not winter tires

Sounds like you weren't at fault. Was it a hit & run?

Not all credit cards have rental car insurance. Most premium credit cards with an annual fee include it. But I had to call and pay an annual premium to add rental car insurance with my last credit card.

Originally posted by rage2
    Does your car insurance or credit card offer rental car insurance? If not, prepare to get fucked.

Damage (if totaled, cost of car minus salvage value), loss of use, towing, storage...

Credit card typically only covers the damage portion, leaving you on the hook for loss of use, towing, storage and other crap. Car insurance rental coverage varies by policy.
    Rage whats your rental car protocol? Sounds like even when cc covers damage the loss of use, towing, etc. can add up to hundreds if not thousands.

My Ride
    2020 Tacoma DCSB

Originally posted by Masked Bandit
    So do you or do you not have the SEF 27 on your main auto policy? Basically, do you have full coverage on your personal auto insurance?
    This. In 2015 after my car accident I had a rental car and my insurance person told me probably 3 or 4 times on the phone to "make sure you carry your personal insurance papers" because rental car was covered under my own personal insurance and they told me to decline any "extras" the rental offers because I already have insurance on the car.

My Ride
    FB6

The catch is that only "premium" credit cards have this. So some free basic credit card will not have this coverage. Which credit card do you have? Look up the cardholder agreement online.

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Originally posted by Manhattan

Sounds like you weren't at fault. Was it a hit & run?

Not all credit cards have rental car insurance. Most premium credit cards with an annual fee include it. But I had to call and pay an annual premium to add rental car insurance with my last credit card.
    I was in the right turn lane, truck sliced over into my lane at the last second and drove over the front of the minivan (tire track right up the front quarter panel). He stopped for a few seconds, looked back and then took off. There was a police car 3 cars back that witnessed and tried to chase him down, but the truck went off-road and lost him.

Ya - it reads like a movie, but I'm not making this up. lol.

Card was a RBC Visa Platinum Avion. No issues with coverage. Rental car company was fine to deal with also. They gave me a replacement vehicle asap.

My Ride
    G37X

I know that my uncle totaled a rental in LA years ago. No insurance. He had to buy the car basically. Insurance is one step that you cannot skip

My Ride
    Bicycle

As a few has said, not all credit card carry this coverage. SEF 27 is also optional on your own policy. You should have never declined rental agency's coverage unless you know you are covered.

My Ride
    This and that.

My understand is that if you have the 'touring package' from your personal insurance company for your personal vehicle that is supposed to cover damage to rental vehicles as well. Is that correct?

My Visa is RBC Avion and I know that covers it anyway but only if you make the rental purchase through that card. Sometimes my firm pays for various things so that could potentially be a problem.

When my X5M was at the dealer, they covered me for a BMW from Enterprise but insurance was my own responsibility as I wasn't making the purchase from my credit card and since the dealer was paying.
    Last edited by shakalaka; 02-08-2017 at 10:10 AM.

My Ride
    Hybrid

Originally posted by realazy
    The catch is that only "premium" credit cards have this. So some free basic credit card will not have this coverage. Which credit card do you have? Look up the cardholder agreement online.
    Also worthwhile to note what's included and excluded. Most (if not all) credit card policies exclude everything that's not a passenger car, SUV, or minivan.

Most cards also exclude any vehicles with an MSRP over $65,000. Visa Infinite Privilege cards and Amex cards are up to $85,000... so choose which card you use to pay for your rental accordingly.

I've always wondered what happens if you get your rental through a provider like Hotwire though.
    Last edited by Strider; 02-08-2017 at 10:22 AM.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by shakalaka
    When my X5M was at the dealer, they covered me for a BMW from Enterprise but insurance was my own responsibility as I wasn't making the purchase from my credit card and since the dealer was paying.
    That's why SEF 27 is a good idea. After having to get a loaner from Audi many times over the years, and there's a $5K deductible, SEF 27 become a no brainer.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by Xtrema

As a few has said, not all credit card carry this coverage. SEF 27 is also optional on your own policy. You should have never declined rental agency's coverage unless you know you are covered.
    This. 100%.

If you don't know for sure that you are covered for a rental, you are an idiot for turning down rental insurance at the time of picking up the car.

My personal policies cover me for any rental I get, and it costs me like $30/year...Silly not to have it.

Having said that, to avoid a claim, in a rental back in Newfoundland, i got a little close to a telephone pole that i didn't see while backing up and it was hiding behind a ridiculously large C-pillar. A quick trip to Canadian Tire for some color match paint and a few grits of sandpaper, and no one was the wiser.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Originally posted by shakalaka
    My understand is that if you have the 'touring package' from your personal insurance company for your personal vehicle that is supposed to cover damage to rental vehicles as well. Is that correct?

"Touring Package" is a TD specific term that from what I understand is the SEF 20 & 27 combined. Most insurance companies have a package like this available, everyone just calls it something different.

As others have pointed out, the SEF 27 whether you're sourcing from your auto policy or from your credit card is always restricted to A) private passenger vehicles (no recreational or commercial units) and B) a hard cap of somewhere between $40K & $85K depending on company.

A little trick to employ if you happen to have coverage on both the credit card AND your auto policy. Should you need to trigger a claim always push the credit card first. They'll ask if you have coverage elsewhere, just tell them no. A claim run through your credit card doesn't usually show up on regular insurance history reports meaning it doesn't mess up your record. A claim pushed through your main policy counts on your record just the same as if you were driving your own car.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast