Quantcast
Has your office/company laid people off or is it picking up? PART 7 (Redesigned Poll) - Page 11 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: What is your/the current employment status

Voters
197. You may not vote on this poll
  • I was laid off and haven't found work yet

20 10.15%
  • I was laid off and found new employment in the same industry

13 6.60%
  • I was laid off and found new employment in a different industry

15 7.61%
  • I survived the downturn with the same company

114 57.87%
  • I quit my job and went elsewhere (expand in comments)

12 6.09%
  • It's not over. We're all fucked, me included!

16 8.12%
  • other

7 3.55%
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Has your office/company laid people off or is it picking up? PART 7 (Redesigned Poll)

My Ride
    Axis powers

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

There is at most one last hurrah left. And that will only happen if India (and other asian/african countries) experience a similar rapid transformation that China has and electrical equipment hasn't completed its takeover. Or if something occurs that massively curtails current global supply (say a 4-5 million/barrel sudden dropoff)

https://country-facts.findthedata.co...China-vs-India

The writing is on the walls. I know you hate Musk and Tesla, but if the Model 3 comes in at $35k usd and works, it is quite game changing. 7c/kwh in Alberta, means $3.5 for 320kms of driving.

I HATE electric cars, but even for myself I can't justify NOT buying one if that is the reality.
    And what happens when there's a line up of 50+ cars waiting for the supercharging stations? Electrical cars are great for in city use but unless something changes they will never be able to do long road trips anywhere if everyone has one

My Ride
    Exploded.

Once battery technology advances, these will be laughable. For now, it's not there yet.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Didn't Top Gear have a episode on this..? I think they went to Lincoln and were trying to charge their cars with an extension cable.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by adam c

And what happens when there's a line up of 50+ cars waiting for the supercharging stations? Electrical cars are great for in city use but unless something changes they will never be able to do long road trips anywhere if everyone has one
    First, don't get me wrong, I am very pessimistic on EV cars and I don't particularly care for them.

Second, I never made claim they could. But for probably 75% of people's needs, a car like the model 3 would be fine for practically year round use. And the 320km quoted range is only with the base model battery, my understanding is you can upgrade.

I'm not claiming O&G will be gone in 5 years. But there certainly has been a clock set for peak oil consumption. By 2040-2050, I bet most new cars sold will be electric. That's a pretty reasonable thing to say IMO.

I liken it to SSD's in computers. Modern, inexpensive, personal computer grade SSD's truly became accessible starting in around 2007/2008 even though there was such a device since the 70's. Were they expensive and with compromises? Hell yea, even in the early millenium.

Now, a decade later, they are almost ubiquitous with PCs and laptops. All of our phones use them. And they are dirt cheap. That's the route I see EV's and ICE going, with ICE becoming relegated to niche or specialized areas.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Originally posted by Xtrema

80-90% of trips by car owners can be covered by EV. And your energy source is at home in a warm garage, not freezing your ass for 5-10mins at a station.
    Originally posted by Amysicle

That's assuming everyone has a garage. Plenty of people rely on street parking.

And another vehicle for that "10%" of time you don't want to drive around the city.

On that note, how many people drive pick up trucks for that "10%" they might need to haul something....
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    V8s

I'm just gonna go ahead and quote my post from this morning, since a bunch of you guys can't seem to read the previous page haha

Originally posted by cjblair
    Another big thing is the efficient large scale storage of electricity. Once we figure out how to do this, it eliminates the demand to backfill at peak times, and makes all the renewable electricity sources viable.
    This same principle applies to the lineup at supercharger stations - won't exist if we find an efficient (i.e. fast charging, like 3 mins or however long it takes to fill your gas tank), high capacity way to store electricity.

I'm not suggesting for a second that this alone will cause oil to plummet, since it's used for so many things other than fuel... but it is certainly going to have an impact. And I'm also not suggesting that it will be in the next couple years. Could be 50 years til we get there. Or 75. Or who knows.

My Ride
    G6

I'm not suggesting for a second that this alone will cause oil to plummet, since it's used for so many things other than fuel...
    I would suggest that all day long. Look at 2014; the supply-demand gap was less than 1MMbbl/d (or a variance of ~1%) and oil fell from over $100/bbl to the $30s. It's not the current supply, it's the perception of future supply that matters.

And I'm also not suggesting that it will be in the next couple years.
    Haven't heard of much progress in that field. Some rumblings of a liquid sulfur battery, but even that doesn't sound like the step-change that's needed.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

I'm just gonna go ahead and quote my post from this morning, since a bunch of you guys can't seem to read the previous page haha

This same principle applies to the lineup at supercharger stations - won't exist if we find an efficient (i.e. fast charging, like 3 mins or however long it takes to fill your gas tank), high capacity way to store electricity.

I'm not suggesting for a second that this alone will cause oil to plummet, since it's used for so many things other than fuel... but it is certainly going to have an impact. And I'm also not suggesting that it will be in the next couple years. Could be 50 years til we get there. Or 75. Or who knows.
    Agreed. Storage of energy is a big thing.
    I don't know if it is done here. But back in the 70's if excess electricity was produced. Water was pumped into towers or uphills. Is this done here..?

Market forces need to drive the innovation for the charging problem. Tesla need to produce a vehicle for the middle classes. The equivalent of the Honda Civic, Corrola or Golf. I hope the Model 3 is this. Then market forces can innovate for the vehicle charging options at home/street.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Amysicle

That's assuming everyone has a garage. Plenty of people rely on street parking.
    You can run extension cord. And instead wait for engine to warm up, you warm you car up while drawing from the grid.

But yeah, being that we have cold winters, I would not expect EV adoption rate to be as high as warmer regions.

Originally posted by adam c

This is just early adopter infrastructure issue. Given VW is now going to build charging stations that will rival Tesla's, the count will be going up. And then there are efforts to start AirBnb type sharing but for charging stations. So if every household is a charger station, you really won't have 50+ cars waiting at a bottleneck anymore.

Originally posted by tonytiger55

Market forces need to drive the innovation for the charging problem. Tesla need to produce a vehicle for the middle classes. The equivalent of the Honda Civic, Corrola or Golf. I hope the Model 3 is this. Then market forces can innovate for the vehicle charging options at home/street.
    eGolf, Bolt, Leaf, Ioniq are here and now for mainstream. The problem is a) people wants crossovers and b) people are buying cars for that 10% in case I need it scenario.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 05-05-2017 at 09:55 AM.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by tonytiger55

Water was pumped into towers or uphills. Is this done here..?
    This has really fallen out of fashion, which is super frustrating, but its pretty safe to say that building dams/water storage areas is quite damaging to local ecology. So unless you have some natural hilly land of zero ecological value, good luck building those. This is the most natural/lowest cost solution to power storage IMO.

Originally posted by Xtrema

You can run extension cord.
    No, that is a ticket waiting to happen. And if someone ever tripped over it if it was across a sidewalk? Holy crap, lawsuit.

Did this stop me from plugging my diesel in? No, but I was in the suburbs and nobody walked anywhere, especially in the close I was in.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Funniest thing to do is unplugging people's cars at night.

My Ride
    V8s

Originally posted by flipstah
    Funniest thing to do is unplugging people's cars at night.
    You are the devil.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-17-2019 at 05:43 PM.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

it request a huge amount of planning, and frankly you are better off renting a car instead.
    Considering the cost savings ($3.5 to go 320km, which would cost $25+ in gas if you get 8L/100km), that would be a fair trade off to rent a car a couple times per year.

Most people also have two vehicles, one could be gas and one could be EV. Plenty of ways around that.

Fact is, people don't go on as far of trips as often as you make it seem like. I know people who don't leave the city once a year

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-17-2019 at 05:44 PM.

Last edited by Amysicle; 12-06-2019 at 08:56 PM.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-23-2020 at 01:11 PM.

My Ride
    V8s

Originally posted by 01RedDX
    What's this tread about again?
    Who even knows anymore.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-17-2019 at 05:44 PM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Cross posting the same pic into a new thread... weak bro... that's Toma ass shit
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast