Quantcast
Has your office/company laid people off or is it picking up? PART 7 (Redesigned Poll) - Page 17 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: What is your/the current employment status

Voters
197. You may not vote on this poll
  • I was laid off and haven't found work yet

20 10.15%
  • I was laid off and found new employment in the same industry

13 6.60%
  • I was laid off and found new employment in a different industry

15 7.61%
  • I survived the downturn with the same company

114 57.87%
  • I quit my job and went elsewhere (expand in comments)

12 6.09%
  • It's not over. We're all fucked, me included!

16 8.12%
  • other

7 3.55%
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Has your office/company laid people off or is it picking up? PART 7 (Redesigned Poll)

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dragon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've been lucky so far. Our company is doing well but it sucks for AB/Canada as a whole.

I've been looking at a few postings, some of them explicitly say they won't sponsor outside US. Does this mean I'm SOL for those or would a TN visa count as them not requiring to sponsor me. Not familiar with how working in the US works at all, haven't really looked into it seriously until I spoke with a friend. He said Houston is doing well, could be laid off one week and hired within the day. Not sure how true that is.
    Here’s a basic explanation, but if you are serious do some additional research and it might even be worth trying to talk to an immigration attorney for 30 mins on working in the US to understand the process. https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...l-workers.html

You need a job offer from a company to be eligible for a TN Visa. If you have a good resume and can stand out based on your experience I would recommend applying for jobs with a strong cover letter even if they say they will not sponsor. Depending on the company you can even outline the TN visa process and how you qualify for it. The companies portion of the TN Visa is very simple/easy. Don’t just look at big companies, look for midsized and small as well if you are serious.

Brain drain will be real as educated professionals leave along with their tax dollars.

Type_S1 just gave us all a clue. Canada is stuck. The USA will continue raising rates because their economy is booming, Canada either follows suit and you get to these $1 houses or you neglect interest rate hikes and the Canadian dollar tanks with money flowing to the USA. I'm banking and a few others I know also that they'll for go rate hikes and the dollar tanks.
    I did just move a bunch of money into my US accounts for this very reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Type_S1 View Post
    Here’s a basic explanation, but if you are serious do some additional research and it might even be worth trying to talk to an immigration attorney for 30 mins on working in the US to understand the process. https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...l-workers.html

You need a job offer from a company to be eligible for a TN Visa. If you have a good resume and can stand out based on your experience I would recommend applying for jobs with a strong cover letter even if they say they will not sponsor. Depending on the company you can even outline the TN visa process and how you qualify for it. The companies portion of the TN Visa is very simple/easy. Don’t just look at big companies, look for midsized and small as well if you are serious.
    Any idea what it is like for EIT's down there?

My guess is being an EIT, they're not going to sponsor you. You're not in the professional designation yet.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    Why do people have such a hard time understanding Alberta was hit with a double whammy (nep and interest rates) and then equate that to the conservatives fucking things up?

Fuck, some people have their heads buried so far in their echo chambers.
    Well all I am saying is that people say this is bad but I don't know if this is as bad as the 80s. I remember even min wage jobs are hard to come by until early 90s.

I don't think I was blaming anyone on anything, just the market condition then vs now.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Well all I am saying is that people say this is bad but I don't know if this is as bad as the 80s. I remember even min wage jobs are hard to come by until early 90s.

I don't think I was blaming anyone on anything, just the market condition then vs now.
    My uncle was a chemical engineer and sold suits at Sears for a while. Not sure if the same is happening today.
    Cos...

No its not because Sears isn't around anymore. Kidding aside, lots are just draining their retirement portfolios and leveraging themselves in hopes they can find work back in industry.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

It doesn’t help that an engineering job on your resume pretty much precludes you from ever getting a call back for an engineering job outside of the industry.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Mogg View Post
    Any idea what it is like for EIT's down there?
    I think it really will depend on the company and where you are willing to move. If you are willing to move to West Texas you will likely be able to find something as they are hiring anyone with a pulse. If you want to move to Houston/Denver/Dallas it might be harder.

Unskilled labor like Semi drivers in West Texas right now are making $100k right now just because it is so hard to find people. My company pays a 25% uplift on salary if you will relocate to West Texas.

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by Type_S1 View Post
    I think it really will depend on the company and where you are willing to move. If you are willing to move to West Texas you will likely be able to find something as they are hiring anyone with a pulse. If you want to move to Houston/Denver/Dallas it might be harder.

Unskilled labor like Semi drivers in West Texas right now are making $100k right now just because it is so hard to find people. My company pays a 25% uplift on salary if you will relocate to West Texas.
    I thought about going up to Texas to weld, but I assume all the outfits are run by the union and probably impossible to get on anywhere.

My Ride
    Silverado

If I was single I would already be in Midland.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If I went to midland I'd become single.....
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

If I were single, I'd be in the USoA. Politics aside, twice the pay, and better shifts.

X4 on the being in the states if single

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Being an Uber driver puts you in contact with a lot of different folks. Our conversations usually end up on full time jobs/economy so you get a good sense of whats going on and where at.

Recently, I picked up three women here in Red Deer. Turned out they worked for Costco. I asked them how it was going since I hear Costco is pretty good place to work. They said it used to be awesome... now not so much. I guess they are cutting a lot of hours all the way down to making them part timers. They said they were getting like 24hrs a week. Crazy considering the time of year.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    If I was single I would already be in Midland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    If I were single, I'd be in the USoA. Politics aside, twice the pay, and better shifts.
    Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    X4 on the being in the states if single
    The way you guys have written it makes it sound so easy. What do you do, just move down there and find a job and go to work, or do you have to go through the whole immigration process? I have no idea how any of that works.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    Silverado

You need a visa and a company to sponsor you

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by SKR View Post
    The way you guys have written it makes it sound so easy. What do you do, just move down there and find a job and go to work, or do you have to go through the whole immigration process? I have no idea how any of that works.
    If you qualify for a TN visa then you can just apply for jobs, get an offer, the company has to write a couple page letter about you having a specialized skillset or whatever then you just hop on a plane and pick your 3year work visa up from the Calgary airport on the way is the summary of it.

Also you’ll need sign up for a social to get a us bank account

My Ride
    V8s

There's also a pile of other little things that make it a PITA (e.g. it's nearly impossible to get a credit card). Not saying it isn't worth it, but I know a couple of people that have made the move and have run into a few headaches here and there.

That being said, I'm still planning on moving down there sometime in the foreseeable future.

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 16 17 18 LastLast