Quantcast
Does anyone use those windshield covers? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone use those windshield covers?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Default Does anyone use those windshield covers?

They've always seemed gimmicky to me, and probably wouldn't work in our daily melt/freeze climate, but an elderly neighbor down the street (that I've never conversed with) has been using one for years, so am wondering if they actually do work?

Like this
    Name:  dce3a4ed-8ee8-4351-8642-a5ad77a0586d_1.537d3f5abda7e4e929893c1a878fcaff.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  87.3 KB

Go ask your neighbor?

Or does your neighbor bite?
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride

"Down the street" neighbor, as in a dozen houses down. I never see him, just his minivan.

So knock on his door. He probably doesn't bite.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

How would they not work? Don't have one but assume they work.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride

My thought is that snow would still melt down the windshield underneath the cover, and then freeze it there. Then would it would rip when you try removing it.

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

I've been doing this trick for a couple years now.

I use an old bed sheet and just put it over the windshield and then close the doors on both sides on it. WORKS WONDERS!!!! Not a single spec of frost to scrape off your windshield. The biggest thing I used to hate about winter was SCRAPING hard thick ice off the windshield, doesn't help that I'm short (5'6") and have T-Rex arms.

As for why I won't buy one of these fancy magnet ones? Someone WILL steal it and also winds can strong enough to blow it off, and like you said, doesn't create as good a seal. I wrap my bed sheet pretty tight.

Also, saves time for not having to brush snow off too!

Funny story, last week, we had an ice storm in Airdrie, there was about at least a half cm layer of ice on my side windows that I had to scrape off, and that was already hard as hell to do....windshield, nothing! Just took the bed sheet off (which was frozen solid as one piece lol)...I was actually worried because it rained beforehand that it would stick to the windshield but nope, came off just fine and I got to laugh at all my neighbours who have to scrape windshields every morning, when I get home from work, I just take 30 seconds to put it on.
    Last edited by NissanFanBoy; 11-14-2017 at 08:47 PM.

^ So what do you do with the block of ice?

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth1968 View Post
    ^ So what do you do with the block of ice?
    You mean my frozen solid bed sheet??...I just laid it in my garage and it melted, then hung it dry.

For those of you wondering, I'm parked outside this winter cuz the Z and my wife get the garage.

The frozen bed sheet only happens if it rains then freezes which is extremely rare but ya it wasn't a problem and saved me a ton a trouble. If rather spend 30 seconds a day to cover it then deal with a frosted windshield in the morning.

As for the posters concerns about the snow slipping in, i put it so the bed sheet starts way back from the top of the windshield if that makes sense.. just try it man you won't regret it! Saves so much time! And you don't have to freeze your ass off scraping and sometimes the frost is so damn hard to get off, I remember some mornings I would say fuck it and drive off when my vision was impaired from the frost, and now... It's clean perfect windshield every morning..
    Last edited by NissanFanBoy; 11-14-2017 at 10:14 PM.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by NissanFanBoy View Post
    You mean my frozen solid bed sheet??...I just laid it in my garage and it melted, then hung it dry.

For those of you wondering, I'm parked outside this winter cuz the Z and my wife get the garage.

The frozen bed sheet only happens if it rains then freezes which is extremely rare but ya it wasn't a problem and saved me a ton a trouble. If rather spend 30 seconds a day to cover it then deal with a frosted windshield in the morning.

As for the posters concerns about the snow slipping in, i put it so the bed sheet starts way back from the top of the windshield if that makes sense..
    So for you it works but for the majority of people it would not. Nothing like throw a cold and wet sponge in the car to thaw.

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    So for you it works but for the majority of people it would not. Nothing like throw a cold and wet sponge in the car to thaw.
    How far is your house to your car??????!

If there is no rain before or no snow, it stays dry. Calgary snow is so dry anyways you would just give it a quick shake...

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/lifehack...1678373536/amp

To clarify I have NEVER had the sheet freeze to the windshield... Maybe it will in a more humid place like Toronto. And it won't freeze into a solid piece unless we get a freak ice storm or a rain then freeze event.
    Last edited by NissanFanBoy; 11-14-2017 at 10:27 PM.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by NissanFanBoy View Post
    How far is your house to your car??????!

If there is no rain before or no snow, it stays dry. Calgary snow is so dry anyways you would just give it a quick shake...

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/lifehack...1678373536/amp

To clarify I have NEVER had the sheet freeze to the windshield... Maybe it will in a more humid place like Toronto. And it won't freeze into a solid piece unless we get a freak ice storm or a rain then freeze event.
    House to car is about 30-35 feet away and no way I would bring a frozen sheet into the house. It would need to go into the tub and end up gross and disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    Yea I was thinking this, would make sense on a truck but no way I’m letting that thaw out on my backseat/trunk. I’ll stick to scraping my window
    Last edited by J-hop; 11-14-2017 at 11:50 PM.

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

Dudes.... You're not listening lol the only time it has frozen was when we had the freak ice storm last week, on every day it's been dry, if it has snow in it it either falls off or a quick shake gets rid of it, the only reason I don't put it in my trunk, which by the way is a Murano not a truck, is because it's easy to put it in my garage since I'm right there, not because it's wet, also, since my car is parked outside and it's my winter beater it is covered in dirt, to a point that opening the trunk gets my mitts dirty whereas as the bed sheet and my garage door opener isn't covered in dirt and grime... All I'm saying is try it out!
    Last edited by NissanFanBoy; 11-14-2017 at 11:59 PM.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

I would think this works in more humid climates.
    Back in the UK we would put old newspapers on the windscreen. Then in the morning take them off. It would help with the frost. Not sure if that would work with the ice.
    I find the snow here is like powder most of the time.

My Ride

My mom used them all the time in Ottawa, the silver tarp things. It works. You give it a shake and most of the ice comes off, and it doesn't get frozen to the windshield. Ottawa gets a bunch of freezing rain and twice the snow that Calgary gets, plus more frost, so it makes sense to use it there. I didn't use it there as I found it a pain in the ass to set it up at night, store in the trunk, and would rather just scrape.

My Ride
    2018 Audi RS3

they sell these at Costco now, they've been flying off the shelves.
    Whether or not they actually work, couldn't tell you, but a lot of people are very happy with them

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

What about the side windows?

Quote Originally Posted by lilmira View Post
    What about the side windows?
    Leave 'em rolled down.

They are a little bit annoying to use and you have to remember to put it out the night before, but yes they do work. Back when I lived at home we used to have one on the car that was out in the driveway all winter and we would install this every night.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast