Quantcast
Unfortunate experience at Valentine Volvo - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Unfortunate experience at Valentine Volvo

My Ride
    Depends on the day

Unhappy Review: Unfortunate experience at Valentine Volvo

Yesterday I decided to stop by Valentine Volvo to take a look for an awd wagon and I was greeted by Bruce Ellis, I told him what I was after and my budget for a vehicle. Bruce and I looked at a couple wagons then he told me about a 2015 xc60 they had on the lot, so I looked at it and we took it for a test drive. At that point I was very interested, it was the right color, it had all the right options and we explored it further and we spoke about my 2015 GTI PP I was looking to trade in. The manager had a look at it and Bruce asked if I wanted to take the vehicle over night so my wife could look at it and they could work out the trade value on my car. I was very interested, so I took him up on the offer and took it home for the night. My wife and I agreed the Volvo would be a great fit for our family and agreed if the numbers lined up we should buy it. This morning I went to drop off the xc60 and buy it if everything looked good(financially). I went in and Bruce and I sat down and he said they would do $32,000 on my GTI and the xc60 was $36,388. I thought it sounded good since they were offering little to no discount and the trade value was close to the buy out on my lease, so Bruce and I signed an offer and he went to see if he could get me a thousand or so off. When he returned he told me that his manager wrote the wrong trade value and it was $10,000 less. He said he would call around and see if he could get a better value and he would get back to me. Later we spoke on the phone several times and basically the trade value would come up and Valentine Volvo wouldn't offer any discount on the vehicle so we could make a deal. The last time we spoke I was told that the car had been sold to a couple in Edmonton and maybe in the future we could look at a different deal on a different vehicle. Bruce was great to deal with, but I am very disappointed that the dealer wouldn't make any effort to make things right, I even offered to come up and meet them in the middle after their error. Anyways that was my experience at Valentine Volvo, a very disappointing experience.

Kelly

Update: So last week Bruce called me and let me know that a near identical car came in to stock and was holding it for me and to let him know if I wanted to come check it out. I went down to Valentine Volvo and took it out and everything was great plus it came with a hand full of extras, so Bruce said he would run numbers and let me know asap and would hold it for me until we either made a deal or didn't. The next day Bruce gave me the numbers and showed me the cost on the car and what they were giving me on the trade and now I pick up the vehicle next week. They came back and made thing right IMO.
    Last edited by kvg; 04-18-2017 at 07:05 PM.

My Ride
    Depends on the day

Am I in the wrong for being a little choked?

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Move on, doesn't sound like they want your money.

My Ride
    NC1

IMO

Not wrong for being a bit choked but when I read $32k on trade in, I immediately thought not way, not a chance, etc. But that's because I know the value of the GTi and I'm on my 3rd Golf right now. The explanation of $22K seems a bit low but I'm not shocked by it because it's a trade in and dealers gotta make money.

Anyway, end of the day, I don't wanna say just business but it kinda is....
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Infinitis and Nissans

$32,000 for your GTI on trade in is outrageous, even on a current year model... my first thought would've been yaaa right... If it's too good to be true.... It probably is.

What are the specs? Sounds newer. I'm sure you won't have a problem selling it privately...

My Ride
    NC1

OK just to add, of course they could have done something. maybe bump your trade in to $25K and give you $3k off the Volvo but it's probably a sought after vehicle and why discount when can sell for full price.

Anyway, maybe they could have bought you a $200 GC to Ruth's Chris for your trouble.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

I would be choked too.

When I purchased Baygirls new car, my salesman told me about it on a thursday, held it for me over the weekend and into tuesday, when I pulled the trigger over the phone tuesday. All without a deposit, or even going in to look at it.

And there were people that came in over the weekend to look at it too, but, my name was on it.

So yeah, them selling it out from under you when you guys were pretty much on the deal is a shoddy move IMO.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Depends on the day

Originally posted by Sonic
    $32,000 for your GTI on trade in is outrageous, even on a current year model... my first thought would've been yaaa right... If it's too good to be true.... It probably is.

What are the specs? Sounds newer. I'm sure you won't have a problem selling it privately...
    It is a full load 4 door performance pack with a stick, winters(Pilot Alipin on 18" Audi rotor reps) and rear seat heaters, never modified.

My Ride
    Depends on the day

Originally posted by max_boost
    IMO

Not wrong for being a bit choked but when I read $32k on trade in, I immediately thought not way, not a chance, etc. But that's because I know the value of the GTi and I'm on my 3rd Golf right now. The explanation of $22K seems a bit low but I'm not shocked by it because it's a trade in and dealers gotta make money.

Anyway, end of the day, I don't wanna say just business but it kinda is....
    I thought the trade was a little high too, I just thought since there wasn't a discount that they were taking a bit out of the Volvo.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Originally posted by spikerS
    I would be choked too.

When I purchased Baygirls new car, my salesman told me about it on a thursday, held it for me over the weekend and into tuesday, when I pulled the trigger over the phone tuesday. All without a deposit, or even going in to look at it.

And there were people that came in over the weekend to look at it too, but, my name was on it.

So yeah, them selling it out from under you when you guys were pretty much on the deal is a shoddy move IMO.
    Which dealer?

My Ride
    Depends on the day

I would be choked too.

If they really did sell it, he told me other people were interested, but I feel like they might have just wanted me to move on after what happened.

Whoa yea 32 is way out to lunch. I don't think used 2015s sell for over 30 no matter what options they have. 22 sounds pretty fair for a trade in.

I would be inclined to give them a second chance. Gives you a little bit of high ground at the bargaining table now.

My Ride
    This and that.

I will say this;

Back when I had my C63AMG, I contacted the local Mercedes dealership (Webber Motors at the time) in Edmonton for a trade in value on my Benz towards a newer, edition 1 C63. Over the email they quote me $40K, and that sounded decent to me as all other dealers were substantially lower so I went in.

Ultimately I didn't end up making the swap, but when I got there they told me that the individual who had emailed me the quote had essentially fucked up as he had not run the VIN number of my vehicle so they didn't know about the accident on it worth $30K. And that had they known, the actual trade in value would be $32K but since it was their fault and they dropped the ball, they would honour the $40K quote.

I sometimes regret I didn't go for it but I thought it was pretty sweet of them. So yea, I think Volvo could have done right by you after getting you to the stage where you were about to sign the papers and shit. Too bad I guess, move on and don't give them your business in the future.
    Last edited by shakalaka; 02-10-2017 at 09:32 PM.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo

Which dealer?
    Woodridge Ford.

I have to say, they have been the best dealer experience I have had, by far. I bought my F-150 there in July, and then the Focus 6 months later.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride
    Depends on the day

Originally posted by shakalaka
    I will say this;

Back when I had my C63AMG, I contacted the local Mercedes dealership (Webber Motors at the time) in Edmonton for a trade in value on my Benz towards a newer, edition 1 C63. Over the email they quote me $40K, and that sounded decent to me as all other dealers were substantially lower so I went in.

Ultimately I didn't end up making the swap, but when I got there they told me that the individual who had emailed me the quote had essentially fucked up as he had not run the VIN number of my vehicle so they didn't know about the accident on it worth $30K. And that had they known, the actual trade in value would be $32K but since it was their fault and they dropped the ball, they would honour the $40K quote.

I sometimes I regret I didn't go for it but I thought it was pretty sweet of them. So yea, I think Volvo could have done right by you after getting you to the stage where you were about to sign the papers and shit. Too bad I guess, move on and don't give them your business in the future.
    The Volvo has a book value of $25-$28 and my VW has a book Value of $22-$26, so I know we could have made it work.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Woodridge Ford.

I have to say, they have been the best dealer experience I have had, by far. I bought my F-150 there in July, and then the Focus 6 months later.
    Fair, they were my first stop, unfortunately the salesperson I was dealing with thought the number I wanted to pay for my car was out to lunch and became extremely rude and condescending, I went to Maclin Ford right after that and we were only $88 apart on price with their first offer so ended up buying there.

A beyonder works in the finance office at Woodridge and is great to deal with though.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo

A beyonder works in the finance office at Woodridge and is great to deal with though.
    Yup, used him and the same salesman both times.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride
    ute

These stories seem to pop up regularly where a dealer makes a mistake, signs something, and then doesn't honor the deal.

What's with car dealers not putting on their big boy pants like the rest of the business world? If I make a mistake in my business dealings, then I gotta eat it. It's why I spend too much on lawyers and accountants.

It's why, when I'm in Chinook, I want to go into the Tesla store and shake everyone's hand and thank them for attempting to disrupt the car retail status quo.

My Ride
    Depends on the day

Tesla has a great business model and I think more dealers will have to follow their lead.

Valentine Volvo seemed like a really good dealer, I was please overall until I was walking over expecting to give them a deposit then boom, +10k. My sales person said he'd make some calls and I was still hopeful we could make a deal, but unfortunately that didn't happen.
    Last edited by kvg; 02-11-2017 at 10:56 AM.

Be honest, you probably couldnt keep your composure when they offered the 32k That was a huge mistake on their part for sure and if they just left me hanging i wouldve been choked too. Its worse that you even tried to work with them but they didnt want any of it. I can only imagine the let down on you and your wife since you got to take it home and all. Good luck on the search
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast