Quantcast
Help with Disruptive Neighbours - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Help with Disruptive Neighbours

When I had a terrible neighbor and the Property manager wouldn't do anything about it, I just found out who was the head of the condo board and anytime I had a noise complaint I knocked on their door and ensured they knew about it. They were annoyed but after coming over a couple times they realized how awful it was and somehow forced the condo owner to evict the terrible renter.

This is why you don't buy property in the NE.

Originally posted by gwill
    It is normal for property managers to deny this info. There are foip laws they need to follow but most of the time they claim the board doesnt want their info released when thats not always the case. Technically every board members info is recorded with the govt but as far as i know this isnt accessible by just anyone.

You'll need to be more pro active as an owner. For example if youve attended your agms you would have met the board members on multiple occassions. Get their info then.. or knock on doors. You need to be more dilligent on complaints and advising your tenants to document the noise, call police/bylaw everytime and to lodge a complaint with your board every single time.
    I mentioned in my original post, but unfortunately I live in Toronto now so going door to door is not an option, nor am I able to attend the AGMs. We have logged the noise disturbances over the last 3 months and have already shared that with the property manager. I've also asked them to record the noise on a few occasions although that isn't as clear. The property manager said she didn't need me to send those to her. I've informed my tenants to call bylaw every time now.

Thanks everyone for the info. Just to be clear, the fine is to the owner, not the tenants, which should light a fire under him to deal with the tenants. I actually know the owner when we both lived in these units, he lives in Winnipeg now. I messaged him when this was first an issue and he told me a property company was managing the property for him now and they'd contact me but the never did.

I'm waiting for the property manager to contact me so I can ask her why there has only been two warnings and no fines issued, and to confirm a fine will be issued next. I also will ask her to have the board contact me if possible and if not, pass on my letter highlighting the situation to them. In the meantime, I'm going to email her every day there is an issue and have my tenants call the bylaw with every issue.

Thanks for the advice, I'll share updates as they come, hopefully it'll help whoever else has to deal with garbage like this.

Just wanted to share an update.

I spoke with the property manager in mid February and she informed me that she would serve eviction but if she did so, it would take effect at the end of the following month. Because it was still mid-month and it wouldn't matter if she served it right away or waited until the end of the month, she said she was going to wait to give the tenants a chance to adjust their behavior. I put my trust in her to handle this appropriately.

I followed up with an email near the end of February and found that she was on vacation and her staff could not help me at all. I just got an email from her now and, of course, she did not serve notice and said she would do it this week. This means now instead of eviction happening at the end of March, it will be happening at the end of April.

I am furious and told her this was unacceptable and she made a commitment to me. She's responded back and is basically calling me a liar and said she made no commitment to me and only told me what actions were available out of courtesy to my tenants because they were having a baby.

That's what she calls a courtesy. My tenants had their baby last week. They are in their mid-20's, their first child, and they haven't had proper sleep since they moved into the place in November. I'm at a complete loss as to what to do next.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

For starters, use email correspondence only with your property manager going forward so you can get every commitment in writing.

My Ride
    FJC, S30

Go to the condo board. They'll make the property management work for their money. Lazy ass property management companies piss me off.
    Submaker.Illest.

Originally posted by That.Guy.S30
    Go to the condo board. They'll make the property management work for their money. Lazy ass property management companies piss me off.
    I can't even do that - I asked for the condo board's contact info and they were unable to give it to me. My only choice is to deal directly with this condo manager.

How do you not know who is on the board? Don't you go to the meetings?

My Ride
    WRX, Audi A4 Avant

Don't you have the meeting minutes? The condo board should be listed there...

Originally posted by lasimmon
    How do you not know who is on the board? Don't you go to the meetings?
    As I mentioned in a couple posts already, I live in Toronto now so no, I do not attend the meetings. And the minutes do not show the contact information for the board members.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Ask a friend to go knocking on your neighbours' doors and ask if they are on the board / know who is on the board?

There's literally hundreds of ways you can figure out who is on the board even if you don't attend the meetings yourself.

All you have to do is go here:

https://alta.registries.gov.ab.ca/spinii/logon.aspx

enter your condo plan number, order the document called "change of directors" and pay $10. That form should list the names and addresses of all condo board members.

My Ride
    ...you crazy

Hey guys... guess what? I'm the chairman of the board for Lighthouse Landing.

We have 511 units in our neighbourhood and we pay the mgmt company to look after the majority of the communications we get because there is just too much to deal with if they didn't. We get a summary communication report at the end of every month that shows the unit number and the subject for why there was a communicaton. We dont get anything further unless we ask for it. There are a couple of things you can do to get around this though. You can ask the mgmt company to forward something you send them to the board directly. We have 10 days to respond but usually respond with something like "we'll talk about this at our next meeting and have a proper response for you after that".

The next time the board meets is on March 9th (This thursday).

If OP wants to get a hold of me directly I have a phone number currently set up with a phone forwarding service. When prompted press 1 and it'll connect you to me. The line is only open mon-fri between 9am-12pm and calls are cut off after 10 minutes. This should still be enough time to get most of OPs concerns addressed. The number to get a hold of me, Michael is (587) 317-1830.

In the case of residential disputes between neighbours we often take the stand of staying out of things, but this particular case might go beyond that. I'd love to talk to OP as I've only skimmed the majority of the comments in this lengthy thread. We'll see if we can at least levy some financial sanctions on their property...

Thanks guys

(BTW, that number is only open until March 14th anyway, so i'm fine with it being public)
    Last edited by pironic; 03-06-2017 at 05:33 PM.
    yes, check my registered date.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2