Quantcast
Calgary pathways in the winter - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Calgary pathways in the winter

Default Calgary pathways in the winter

If one peruses the CoC's spott311 web site it would appear that there is a very real expectation out there that every pathway be kept clear of snow and ice. Now considering that we are located in an area that does regularly experience winter conditions including snow and ice, why does it seem that more and more people expect that every pathway be kept in essentially a condition one would expect during the summer?

As an example, do the pathways on Nose Hill really have to be kept clear during the winter? Is it not possible to enjoy Nose Hill during the winter wearing one's winter boots and to be prepared to navigate through winter conditions?

Now I know I'm almost as old as dirt but it just seems unreasonable to me to expect the city to keep every pathway clear. Hell, I broke my back in late 2007 because of a slip on some snow covered ice (in an alley) and I still do not expect that pathways need to be kept clear. Just wear the appropriate gear and adjust your activity to accommodate the conditions you encounter - that's not too much to expect, no?

Default Re: Calgary pathways in the winter

Originally posted by speedog

Now I know I'm almost as old as dirt but it just seems unreasonable to me to expect the city to keep every pathway clear. Hell, I broke my back in late 2007 because of a slip on some snow covered ice (in an alley) and I still do not expect that pathways need to be kept clear. Just wear the appropriate gear and adjust your activity to accommodate the conditions you encounter - that's not too much to expect, no?
    I'm confused on your take about sidewalks/pathways being kept clear.
    Is it "just wear the appropriate gear and adjust your activity" or is it "keep your fucking sidewalks clear so I don't break my back"??

It's just too fucking bad that people get so uppity about un-shoveled walks, eh.

Never mind that I slipped and fell on a snow covered icy section back in the winter of 2007 and broke my back, crushed my L1 and am just a wee but shorter now.

Maybe I should wish the pain I endured then on you as I've experienced appendicitis, a massively broken foot, a broken sternum, mega large wood sliver under a finger nail up to the second knuckle and can tell you without a doubt that that crushed L1 was by far the most intense pain I've ever had to endure.

Not trying to be a dick but the fact that I'm walking is a miracle in itself per the Foothills hospital that fateful day, so yeah, sidewalks covered with crud in the winter are a big deal.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Why can't we just let the two fossils argue?
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

My Ride
    dumpster trains

Originally posted by R154
    FIGHT
    So more beyond armchair activism at work again?

Originally posted by R154
    Well really it should be one fossil arguing with himself

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Hahaha maddog vs speedog

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

The CoC website says only half the pathways are to be kept clear:

http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/Parks/Pag...-priority.aspx

That's more reasonable as I think there are higher priorities than your example of clearing a pathway on Nose Hill. Don't forget, we're all about the bikes in Calgary!

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

I just remember my walk to SAIT through Rosemount and confederation park. It was horrible trying to walk if the paths weren't clear, especially on the hills. Nobody ever shoveled their sidewalks either. Ended up getting studded boots which helped a ton.
    Last edited by NoPulp; 02-14-2017 at 12:00 PM.

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

Default Re: Re: Calgary pathways in the winter

Last edited by blindsight; 03-08-2017 at 11:17 PM.

I do have an issue with sidewalks not being shoveled, pathways on Nose Hill and such are a totally different thing, no?
    Will fuck off, again.

Pretty sure speedog would win the fight by default. Dave would be to busy shaking people down for cash and sandwiches. Kinda like coffee and cars, he is the bitch in a Buick running people over.

ROUND 1 - FIIIIIIIIGHT.
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

Still don't know why some people don't understand there are cheap traction aids like micro spikes. I've got ones on a strap that you can rotate on top of your boot when you don't need them, really nice to have.

My Ride
    Can't driver because I'm legally blind

Originally posted by J-hop
    Still don't know why some people don't understand there are cheap traction aids like micro spikes. I've got ones on a strap that you can rotate on top of your boot when you don't need them, really nice to have.
    You shouldn’t need aids like that when there’s sub contractors being paid by the city to clear many of these pathways, some of which don’t bother and still collect their cheque.

What’s even worse is that many of these contractors won’t even bother doing the sidewalks. There’s a handful around the Aspen area that have been untouched all winter like the one going up the hill to Calgary Academy.

My Ride
    Z

I'm thinking someone spends way too much time on 311
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

Originally posted by roll_over

You shouldn’t need aids like that when there’s sub contractors being paid by the city to clear many of these pathways, some of which don’t bother and still collect their cheque.

What’s even worse is that many of these contractors won’t even bother doing the sidewalks. There’s a handful around the Aspen area that have been untouched all winter like the one going up the hill to Calgary Academy.
    You need to double check who is responsible. If it hasn't been touched all winter it is probably not identified as a snow removal priority.

i don't know the ones you are referring to but I don't see any identified near Calgary academy. The map below IDs who is responsible for what pathways.

http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/Parks/Pag...-clearing.aspx

If you feel it should be cleared you need to put together a proposal with usage numbers, incremental cost etc or else you'll just look like an angry resident bitching.

My Ride
    Can't driver because I'm legally blind

I looked them up on your map and it looks like parks is responsible for the ones in question. One of which is the sidewalk on 17th west of Aspen Landing, I don’t understand how the city wouldn’t clear a sidewalk on a bus route that hundreds of people walk down daily.