Quantcast
Another Dash Cam Thread - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Dash Cam Thread

My Ride
    Infinitis and Nissans

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is anyone using this one? http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/...10393542.aspx?

Looks okay but kinda pricey at $230?

Any other good budget options?
    We have one in each of our 3 vehicles, all are Uniden and bought from London Drugs on sale...2 were on sale for around $80 and one for I believe $75, can't remember, they work great and the videos are super clear but I haven't had to actually get a license plate so I can't really comment on that.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

If your willing to wait a month or so for shipping. This is not bad. I have one of these. Just don't cheap out on the memory card. Get one with a fast write speed.

https://www.banggood.com/G1W-CB-2_7-...l?rmmds=search

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
    We have one in each of our 3 vehicles, all are Uniden and bought from London Drugs on sale...2 were on sale for around $80 and one for I believe $75, can't remember, they work great and the videos are super clear but I haven't had to actually get a license plate so I can't really comment on that.
    My experience 1080p is minimum to pull a plate, even then you get may be 1/2 a car length. 720p, forget it unless you stop right behind it at a light.

Then there is night performance.

My Ride
    G37X

Budget friendly but more of a step up would be Viofo A118 or A119, which are ~$80 and ~$130 I think. A118 is 1080P and A119 is 1440p with much better night vision. I've had an A118 for about a year in my car.

b_t is offline b_t is a huge nag (2019 friendly)
    My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

what cam do you guys recommend? had some dumbass back into my RX-7 at a yield sign the other day and a near miss in my Tacoma the next day.

the FC is too rare and too hard to fix to be driving it around without having my ass 100% covered. something that is easy to swap between the 2 vehicles would be preferred

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by b_t View Post
    what cam do you guys recommend? had some dumbass back into my RX-7 at a yield sign the other day and a near miss in my Tacoma the next day.

the FC is too rare and too hard to fix to be driving it around without having my ass 100% covered. something that is easy to swap between the 2 vehicles would be preferred
    OMG OMG You have a RX7..?!! Can I be your friend?

As for the dash cam. Depends on your budget. You don't need to really spend that much though. Some of the expensive cams are pretty much the same cams you can get cheap, they just have different plastic shells.

Im reposting the link above to the one ive been using for the year and a half. It was only $50. Whatever you do, don't cheap out on the memory card and write speed.

The suction mount is not the greatest, so transferring between vehicles may be a problem. But you can get buy a better suction mount. But the cams are so cheap, you can easily get 1080p for $20. You can get a hard wire kit too. Only downside is, it takes a while to be delivered.
    Ive had a few misses too with idiot drivers and I've ended up looking at the cam after and thinking, thank fuck I got a cam.

https://www.banggood.com/G1W-CB-2_7-...l?rmmds=search

Another one is this:

http://www.ojocam.com/

Maybe someone else can chime in on Ojo cam.

My Ride
    G37X

Viofo A118/A119. Sits fully flush on the windshield so it's way lower profile than almost anything else out there. Can be had for <$100 for the A118, and like $120 for the A119. Running an A118 in mine as well as the GFs car. I'll echo the statement above about the SD card, get a good quality class 10 card to avoid issues. I had the Ojocam pro, which is a mini 0805, before and it was alright, I prefer the A118 though and it was less money. For <$50 the G1W is good, but for price difference I'd look at an A118.

My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

the A118/A119 look pretty sweet. do you have any videos up on Youtube?

My Ride
    G37X

the A118/A119 look pretty sweet. do you have any videos up on Youtube?
    Only a night one.

My Ride
    NC1

So many vendors on Amazon lol is there one you recommend for the A119 or does it matter? Same with memory cards haha so many choices.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

I bought online, it was a two memory card deal. one worked the other did not. I personally found it a headache. Especially with third party vendors, I have not had a positive experience with them at all.

I just gave up and went to Best Buy and bought one there.
    Someone else can chime in on this in regards to the A119, find out what the maximum card the dash cam will take.

My Ride
    G37X

So many vendors on Amazon lol is there one you recommend for the A119 or does it matter? Same with memory cards haha so many choices.
    I'd say this one: link. Definitely get one sold by Viofo to avoid getting a cheap low quality unit. I'd recommend getting a hardwire kit if you want to continue with the low profile thing. Like this, and then an add a fuse circuit for the type of fuses your vehicle has. Otherwise I'm sure there's a few shops that would hardwire a camera for you for not a ton of money.

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    I bought online, it was a two memory card deal. one worked the other did not. I personally found it a headache. Especially with third party vendors, I have not had a positive experience with them at all.

I just gave up and went to Best Buy and bought one there.
    Someone else can chime in on this in regards to the A119, find out what the maximum card the dash cam will take.
    Will take a 64GB card.

My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

Image quality on that A119 looks really good, impressed with it at night. Should tuck right up behind my A-pillar gauges so it is hard to see too.

Going to pick one of those up. Thanks for the help!

I suppose my last question about it, can you buy additional mounts for it? I watched a review but it wasn't totally clear how it attaches to the window - can I buy an extra mount so I can swap it between my truck and my car easily? I did see a review that talked about a GPS mount but he didn't say if the camera just slides onto the base, if it uses thumbscrew, or tools or anything like that

My Ride
    G37X

Image quality on that A119 looks really good, impressed with it at night. Should tuck right up behind my A-pillar gauges so it is hard to see too.

Going to pick one of those up. Thanks for the help!

I suppose my last question about it, can you buy additional mounts for it? I watched a review but it wasn't totally clear how it attaches to the window - can I buy an extra mount so I can swap it between my truck and my car easily? I did see a review that talked about a GPS mount but he didn't say if the camera just slides onto the base, if it uses thumbscrew, or tools or anything like that
    I've got mine tucked behind my rear view, just high enough that I can see the very top of my screen and the status lights but can't see the camera itself. If I remember I'll try to grab a picture tomorrow. I'm not sure about additional mounts, but I'd imagine on Amazon or Alieexpress would have them. The mount attached with double sided tape, and the camera slides onto the mount. No thumbscrews just a channel on the camera and a part sticking up on the base.

Edit: Pics. The channel in the camera goes over the thing that sticks off the base and slides down and clicks in. Just slide up and pull off to remove. I can't even see the cord from the drivers seat as it's blocked and tucked up into the headliner.
    Name:  ha00oM7.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  68.2 KB
    Name:  LJY9UIp.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  87.0 KB
    Name:  AELZ8cZ.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  84.6 KB
    Last edited by relyt92; 07-01-2017 at 03:02 PM.

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

great suggestions, just picked up a A119s from amazon. It'll replace an aging blackview so hopefully it'll be spot on. Got the hardwire kit for it as well, pretty straightforward it seems so far.

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

The 118C is on sale today for cheap

http://www.gearbest.com/car-dvr/pp_375217.html

Can't complain about the $50 price point

My Ride
    Model S

Something I observed when trying to find a decent cheap option is that resolution really doesn't tell you a lot about ability to read plates. I have seen several cams that have a high enough resolution, but they have so much video compression that it ends up blurring the plate anyway, unless you are really close and there is no motion. Make sure whatever you get has a high enough data rate that it doesn't have to smear the details out of the picture in order to write it.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Just purchased a new car and where I work, we park on the street and employees hit each others vehicles and don't report

Whats the best 2 channel front and rear dash cam with parking mode out there? I don't need GPS option, just Wi-Fi mainly, Parking Mode and great quality picture to record plates and faces. And that is good priced.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go &quot;uh huh...&quot; Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Chevy Colorado ZR2

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    Just purchased a new car and where I work, we park on the street and employees hit each others vehicles and don't report

Whats the best 2 channel front and rear dash cam with parking mode out there? I don't need GPS option, just Wi-Fi mainly, Parking Mode and great quality picture to record plates and faces. And that is good priced.
    Blackvue DR650 is the most economical if you grab from eBay authorized reseller

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/BlackVue-DR43....c100005.m1851

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Quote Originally Posted by jaylo View Post
    Blackvue DR650 is the most economical if you grab from eBay authorized reseller

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/BlackVue-DR43....c100005.m1851
    That link is for a DR430 that records in 720P? Wrong link?

Anyone have the ThinkWare ones? Heard the video quality on those are amazing
    Last edited by dj_rice; 09-03-2017 at 11:20 AM.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go &quot;uh huh...&quot; Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast