Quantcast
Career - Enjoy or Tolerate - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: Is it a need to enjoy your career or simply tolerate it?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Enjoy

49 50.00%
  • Tolerate

49 50.00%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Career - Enjoy or Tolerate

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Default Career - Enjoy or Tolerate

Originally posted by killramos
    I am just trying to actively make changes to move forward into something I will actually enjoy
    I'm curious on this statement and what others thoughts are.

Some definitions for clarity:

employment - the condition of having paid work.

work - mental or physical activity as a means of earning income; employment.

enjoy - take delight or pleasure in (an activity or occasion).

To what degree should a person "enjoy" their employment? Is this a requirement that is realistic?

From my experience, I had what some would consider a dream job at a younger age. After a few years, reality set in and the dream job was simply a job. The novelty wore off. At that point I was more focused on a well paying job that enables me to enjoy the time that I'm not working, evenings, weekends, vacations, quality of life, standard of living etc.

Personally, I would much rather have a "tolerable" job that enables me to live the lifestyle I want and enjoy my time off.

Thoughts?
    I like neat cars.

From a young age I knew I wanted to "make things that moved." Allegedly I said this when I was 3. My parents never let me forget it.

I always wanted to work in formula 1. So I became a mechanical engineer. Needless to say, I never got anywhere close to f1 other than working on the formula sae car during uni.

I settled into an electromechanical role at a medium sized local company after I was conclusively not cut out to work at a major epc. Later I would go on to an epcm. But that's irrelevant. When I say settled, I do mean I settled for the first smallish company that would take me.

I find a certain joy in what I work on everyday. My life and my identity is greatly tied to what I do, and how well I do it. I think, dream and relax in the world of mechanical problem solving.

I don't think I could survive a job that I had only as a means to an end.
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

My Ride
    Random cars

While I feel like a lot of young punks are very confused by the whole "do what you love, don't settle for less" BS, I also feel like tolerable just isn't enough in the long term.

Personally, once I have met a minimin standard of living, work has to mean something for me.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by RT16V

Personally, once I have met a minimin standard of living, work has to mean something for me.
    Well said.

Personally I've only met a few people who truly love what they do and are happy in all ways. The common theme is they all are financially succesful and have admitted there were times early on they hated what they did but knew it was to help grow them to get where they were headed. When you are young you often have to grind through shitty circumstances to become better. The difference between the great and the mediocre is that some people give up.

One thing i will say is that most people who aren't financially successful and say they love what they do are just lying to make themselves feel better.

My Ride
    2003 Saab 9-3 Vector; 2015 Jeep Wrangler

I would say currently I tolerate my job, but my career path and what I am doing now is right where I have kind of always wanted to end up.

I think there is some small hops and changes to get me to a place where I truly enjoy my work, and that in itself makes my job right now more than tolerable. Only 2 choices however so I went with tolerate as that is what I am closest to at this time in my career.

My Ride
    Born in Stuttgart

I for once generally love what I do. I spent years working for a large producer tolerating my job then took a risk and moved to a small company.

Best decision i have made.

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by RT16V
    While I feel like a lot of young punks are very confused by the whole "do what you love, don't settle for less" BS, I also feel like tolerable just isn't enough in the long term.

IMO. You gotta enjoy your life or it's going to be a miserable time. Find your balance.

I'm turning 36 this year and it's becoming increasingly clear what I don't want but I'm not at the point where I can say fk this shit.

I know my dad is turning 65 in 7 years and 7 years isn't exactly a long time. To me it's basically a couple car leases lol It's more of a count down at this point. At 65 he's going to have to sell this restaurant and retire right?! Basically his decision will force my decision. My decision is to set some sort of 5-7 year plan where I can move onto career #2 whatever that is.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    NC1

But to answer the question. I think Beyonders are an ambitious bunch with many who are millionaires before 30, some at 35, some at 40, with that kind of PFY achieved, I have a hard time believing they are willing to tolerate much.

< Age 40 Tolerate
    > Age 40 Enjoy
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-17-2019 at 04:42 PM.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    A career is something you have a passion for, something you take pride in and enjoy doing.

A job is something you put up with for a paycheque

Personally, I've had a very enjoyable career
    I've had a career that turned into a job and a job that turned into a career - most definitely careers are more enjoyable.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    A career is something you have a passion for, something you take pride in and enjoy doing.

A job is something you put up with for a paycheque

Personally, I've had a very enjoyable career
    To me a career has always been something with growth, a defined path while a job is just that. You're there to complete a certain role and that's it.

Either can be enjoyable or a burden at times

As for the original question, I'm 100% in the camp of do what you have to early on so you can choose what you enjoy later in life... plus no one knows wtf makes them happy in their 20s... hell, probably not even for most of their 30s. Learn, adapt, and work towards enjoying life... which is something that takes time, and time is a concept we're losing touch with in this society of instant gratification

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

I tried the whole make your job something you love...

I became a mechanic, and I slogged through it for 3 years. At first, it was great, but it quickly got the the point i dreaded waking up, going in to work, and watching the clock and counting the hours till I went home.

It hit my social life too. We always used to get together on the weekends and work on our cars. At the end of the week, that was the last thing I wanted to do.

I had to make a choice if I wanted to keep mechanics fun, or as a job. I quit soon after I came to that realization.

I tolerate my job. I like it, but it isn't "fun". Should I ever start my own business, I may find something fun.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    ute

I love what I do. I'm lucky. My biggest fear is that it will all dry up some day.

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

Always work towards enjoy, but be okay with tolerate.
    I took the first job I could out of school and have tolerated it. For awhile i applied fir jobs i thought id enjoy. Got an offer and start a new job next week with a search towards more of enjoy. I think I'm in the right field, just need the right job now.

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

My Ride
    '19 GTI

I'll say Enjoy, although days exist that i'd say tolerate... But that goes with anything I think.

I went to university to get job "a". Deadset on that and that was my dream job. Did an internship at another career option/route which is at a lower grade socially potentially. I then applied and still do that job now and love it.
    Had i taken the career route for what i went to school with, i am confident i'd say tolerate and not love my job.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I really don't know how to answer this question. There's been things that I truly enjoy in every job I've ever had. And always things that I barely tolerate. The needle swings a little further one way or another, but it's always a mix of both.

For about two years, I had a job that I was really proud of, that was nice. I was well compensated, well respected, and the people who worked for me thought I was the best boss ever. But even that one, there were parts of the job that were really unpleasant. I had to spend at least a few hours each week sucking up to a really abusive asshole. I got over it.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

I personally think enjoying a job comes down to attitude a lot of the time.

My job is enjoyable, with the caveat of "when working on cool shit and doing what I was actually hired for". If I'm bored in the office or pushing paper, I wouldn't say I "love" that.

Working 16 hour days up north? Not enjoyable, but those days also fund my habits, which makes them more than tolerable, I look forward to doing a good job on those days so I continue to be the guy they send to fix the equipment. Doesn't hurt that I built the equipment.

I am NOT the kind of guy who defines myself by my job. Sure, obviously work is a big part of anyone's life, and I do place importance on it. But its not my dream.

Honestly, being involved in motorsports is. If there was a dream, that is it. The business will make that dream happen, but it also could not have come about without my current career. I'm extremely lucky, but it took a long time to get here, and year over year I have definitely earned less than others in my field have. It all works out I suppose, happy I stuck with where I am.

So I guess what I am saying is don't define yourself by your work unless you enjoy it. Work is a means to an end, if we could do the things we want without working, we wouldn't. The final stop is a hole in the ground, don't miss out on other aspects of life. If you can do these things, any job should be enjoyable IMO.

My Ride
    G37X

^Yep. Agree with HiTempguy. Attitude is key. Go to Mexico and you see construction workers demolishing a house with sledgehammers in serious humidity all the while laughing and having fun. Changed my attitude completely. If you're job sucks, usually it's because YOU suck. That said, nothing kills joy for a job faster for me than a meddling, micro managing twerp of a boss.

My Ride
    LNF

Default Re: Career - Enjoy or Tolerate

I would rather have a job that gives me flexible time off or more time off.. Even if that means that I am making less money..

In my current job, we are so busy that I have to work weekends and long days (without OT). It sucks and I really don't like what I do here. However, I am paid well with good benefits. But I am doing school right now so I can get into something more stable with the option to take more time off (public sector). It will be lower paying but I would rather enjoy life then just have to work all of the time.

So basically right now I am tolerating my work so that I can afford to go back to school. But after that, I want a job that can let me enjoy my life.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast